BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
kcumeda

Model: 8703e
Default 8703e Sound Quality - Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now, and I've had many complaints about the sound quality when making calls. The signal is strong and it sounds perfectly clear on my end, but the person I'm talking to says it cuts out a lot. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcumeda
I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now, and I've had many complaints about the sound quality when making calls. The signal is strong and it sounds perfectly clear on my end, but the person I'm talking to says it cuts out a lot. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
None with mine..
Old 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Stupid double post.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
rollotomnasi

Carrier: vzw

Quote:
I get that a lot when I'm using the phone during a call (vs. using bt earpiece). Figured out that I was putting my cheek over the (tiny) mic hole by the Num key.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I love my 8703 and I loved my 8700c and 7250 but they're all not great as phones. I usually use it in the car via bluetooth integration but when I use it as a regular phone most people aren't thrilled. Any blackberry I've ever had has been pretty weak in that department, I notice it most often when I'm in a noisy place(like a restaurant or airport), the person on the other line usually asking me" jeez, sounds like you're in a factory". Other than that I just get used to it, I think thats just part of a BB.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
rctoyguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5290

Crap - I was hoping the BB would be better as a phone than that... It sounds like using a bluetooth headset fixes the problem (so it's just with the mic on the phone itself?) - is that the case?
My only complaing, although it is a major complaint with my Cingular Treo 650 is the phone quality, so I was hoping the blackberry would remedy that.

Why can't SOMEONE make a pda/phone that actually works well as both?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I have a Nokia BH-800 bluetooth headset and a Discovery 640. They both sound horrible on my 8703. Range is short and the volume way too low. When I connect them to a Q or a Treo 700w...they sound much better (clearer and with great volume)...and the range is vastly improved.
I am new to the BB...this is my first one. I have always had Treos...the last being a 700w. As far as email and texting...the BB is the machine. As far as phone capabilities and PDA interface and functionality...it seems a bit archaic.
Cingular 8800
Old 10-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
rblatt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default verizon sound quality

I had the same problem. Took it into Verizon, they swapped out the phone and had the same problem. I switched to Sprint and the problem went away. Also, Sprint has the GPS working and you can get a free software program that does a really good map overlay. I would like to get the same volume that we had when using the Telstra load, and I sent a message to Jibi, but I still haven't heard back from him. Maybe if others request help on getting the volume up, we will achieve what we all are requesting.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I've asked a couple of people how the call quality seemed on my 8703e from VZW, and all were unanimous in saying that the quality was quite good when used in its normal mode. I also have a Plantronics 640 Explorer, and it is too loud at its highest volume to listen to comfortably. Others report that the quality on their end is good, but not quite as good as without the headset.

I've left myself voice mail both with and without the headset, and I appear to be perfectly understandable.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
skinnytoo

Model: 8703

I am on vzw and sounds good. Loud and clear with moto h700 BT headset also.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #11
hcheun

Model: 9000

My Verizon is coming crystal clear. My Sprint however cuts in and out, but i think it's more of a network issue than anything, because my old 7250 had the same symptoms. Otherwise, when it works, my sprint is rockin.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

No problems with my 8700c other than the background noise being picked up by the built-in mic. The background noise isn't an issue with my Plantronics Voyager 510 Bluetooth headset.

I hear that the Ety.com wired headset has excellent noise cancellation if you're looking for a wired headset.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #13
dduenkel

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just made the move from an XV6700 to the 8703e on Verizon and my wife says I sound 10x better especially when I drive my Jeep and all that wind noise, she says she can barely hear the wind now with the 8703e.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Same Problem With Sprint

Quote:

I HAVE A 8703E AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM\
Old 11-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #15
faisal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblatt
I had the same problem. Took it into Verizon, they swapped out the phone and had the same problem. I switched to Sprint and the problem went away. Also, Sprint has the GPS working and you can get a free software program that does a really good map overlay. I would like to get the same volume that we had when using the Telstra load, and I sent a message to Jibi, but I still haven't heard back from him. Maybe if others request help on getting the volume up, we will achieve what we all are requesting.
Can you tell me what the Free Map software is? i too have sprint
Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #16
carlsbad

I have an 8703e and no complaints at all when I use normally with the microphone built into the phone

However, in my 2006 Mercedes E500, I have a blue tooth wireless puck interface that enables the phone to integrate with the stereo speakers and the car's built in microphones that are in the rear view mirror.

When used in that fashion, I can hear the incoming call just great but the people I am speaking to claim I sound as though I am in a tunnel or under water. If I disable the bluetooth and talk straight into the phone mic...the callers claim it sounds so much better
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
rohardi

I get the same problem, I have to make sure my mouth is lined up with the phone's little mouth peice next to the number button. It would have been a good idea if the hole was under the space bar, not on the side of the BB.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
emiller213

Angry

Quote:

Yes!! I'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem. I'm on the verge of taking mine back. About every 2 minutes or so it'll cut out for about 2-5 seconds. I can hear them fine, but it's really aggrevating when in the middle of my talking you hear the person on the other end going "Hello??...Hello?...Hellooooo?" God does that really piss me off. Have you taken yours back yet? Please let me know

If anyone else knows of a solution to this, please feel free to chime is as well! thanks!

[email address]

Last edited by emiller213; 02-24-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old 02-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
emiller213

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller213
Yes!! I'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem. I'm on the verge of taking mine back. About every 2 minutes or so it'll cut out for about 2-5 seconds. I can hear them fine, but it's really aggrevating when in the middle of my talking you hear the person on the other end going "Hello??...Hello?...Hellooooo?" God does that really piss me off. Have you taken yours back yet? Please let me know

If anyone else knows of a solution to this, please feel free to chime is as well! thanks!

[email address]
Since posting this, i've tried keeping my hand away from the bottom of the phone, especially from around the NUM and ATL key (where the mic is located). I haven't had one problem since. Appears to just be a poor placement of the mic on RIM's part.
Closed Thread