BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Default Got sync4j working!

Please Login to Remove!

I've spent the past 3 days trying to figure out how to get the sync4j server installed on my powerbook. Tonight, I came across www.scheduleworld.com and signed up, just to see. I got the java program installed on my computer, installed the sync4j client on my blackberry. After having to reboot to get rid of an error (I put in the wrong username and it couldn't get over that without a reboot), I synced!

On the java desktop program, my contacts were there. Cool. But using scheduleworld's web-based program, I couldn't see them. Not cool.

And my schedule didn't sync at all. I'm not sure why. It looks like the client only sent my addressbook. I know that not many have had success with the bb client, but has any one ever been able to get the schedule synced? Or is this a limitation of the client?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
WNO
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

I got a test calendar to sync well (in both directions) with ScheduleWorld a few months back. Haven't pursued it much since then, but I understand that there have been some changes with the particular version of the BB client used by ScheduleWorld. I can't imagine that the current version of the BB client would eliminate calendar synching, but who knows?

PS, I didn't get to try the web interface (I don't think it was yet out at that time), just the java version.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNO
I got a test calendar to sync well (in both directions) with ScheduleWorld a few months back. Haven't pursued it much since then, but I understand that there have been some changes with the particular version of the BB client used by ScheduleWorld. I can't imagine that the current version of the BB client would eliminate calendar synching, but who knows?

PS, I didn't get to try the web interface (I don't think it was yet out at that time), just the java version.
Maybe that's what's wrong. I used what I thought was a newer version of the BB client that was on sync4j.org (1.2.3) rather than the one they were offering at scheduleworld (1.1.4, I believe). Could it be that the version they have was special in some way? I guess I can try it and see. I'm not sure if it's worth it because I really dislike java programs and there doesn't seem to be a way to get my iCal syncing with the server. Unless I "subscribe" to my own calendar.... Interesting..... (Sorry, you just stumbled into my thought process) I'll give it a go this weekend.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
WNO

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Good luck, and keep us posted!

(And yes, I think the client available through ScheduleWorld is "special" in the sense that it is supported, while the Sync4j client continues to evolve along w/ the server.)
Old 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
dozment

Carrier: Cingular

As of last night I have both my calendar and my address book synch'ing with schedule world. It's kind of cool to have wireless sync on a non-BES BB!

There is a problem with the 1.2.3 version of the BB sync4j client. Calendar sync does not work with it. The 1.1.5 client found at http://www.scheduleworld.com/syncml.html works. I didn't get the impression that it is "special". From what I have heard something changed in the 1.2.3 client to make it stop working. Hopefully, that will be fixed. For now, use 1.1.5.

There is also a permissions issue that keeps calendar (I think) from syncing properly. Here is information from scheduleworld on that:

# Encrypted events or todos(tasks) will not sync via SyncML. If you want an event to sync you need to ensure that the Event's default permission is 'Grant_Read_Deny_Write' so it is not encrypted.

* When you have opened an Event for editing simply click 'Permissions' to change the default permissions.
* To change the default behaviour so all newly created events are not encrypted simply change the calendar's base permissions. To do this right-click the calendar and select 'Base Permissions'.

I set the default to Grant_Read_Deny_Write, and everything works.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
dozment

Oh, and I was also able to set up Thunderbird set up to query my scheduleworld address book. So when I start typing an email address in Thunderbird and hit tab it does a search and auto-completes the address from scheduleworld.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozment
Oh, and I was also able to set up Thunderbird set up to query my scheduleworld address book. So when I start typing an email address in Thunderbird and hit tab it does a search and auto-completes the address from scheduleworld.
Getting the LDAP server set up in many mail/addressbook programs is actually pretty easy. My problem is that I want my iCal to sync with the schedule world calendar. I haven't been able to figure that one out yet.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
dozment

Are you using syn4j to do the ical sync? Have you changed the default base permissions on your scheduleworld calendar? I'm not sure, but it seems like you will have to do that to make it work.
Closed Thread