BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
JRMillion
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Anyone tried Aliph Jawbone with 8830?

Please Login to Remove!

I am thinking about buying the Jawbone headset, but I know it doesn't work with the Moto Q (my previous phone) and would like to find out if it works with the 8800 series before I go buy it.

Any experiences?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The sales guy at the Cingular store told me it works with the 8800. Not sure about the 8830. Verizon has a track record for crippling stuff.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
JRMillion

True, but they don't "cripple" the headset profile... so it should work fine.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Richison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMillion View Post
I am thinking about buying the Jawbone headset, but I know it doesn't work with the Moto Q (my previous phone) and would like to find out if it works with the 8800 series before I go buy it.

Any experiences?

Thanks
I'm interested in this as well as I'm seriously considering it for my 8830.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Default Jawbone

I have one, and though I dont use an 8800, I plan to use it with my Pearl once I get it. I use it with my current berry an 8703e on Sprint. The volume is great which is a must fo me. But the audio despite being sufficiently loud is a but muffeled, ( like the person on the other end is holding their nose) But it sounds great with my Krzr. Hoping it works well with the 8100. It is however the most cyborg-looking heatset Ive ever owned. I use my jabra jx-10 the most of my vast collection, (I am a bit of a junkie) which includes many Motos and a few Plants and a couple jabras. Waithing on a good revied on the H9 from MOTO which is just hitting shelves in my area. Anyone got one post up!!
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
JRMillion

I ended up buying a Jawbone, but I think I am returning it tomorrow.
Turns out it does work with the Moto Q, so either the person who told me it didn't was clueless or maybe some earlier batch of headsets didn't work with the Q.

I actually didn't even get to the point of testing it with my 8830.

I am returning it for a couple reasons

1) I put it on, looked in the mirror, and how I looked can only be described with a question...
What sound does a rock make when it hits water?
Douche...

No offense to people who have these, but I don't think I would go out in public with this thing on. It looks cool in your hand, but looks quite large on your face.

My car has bluetooth already, so a headset is pretty useless in the car.

2) I did try one call, and recorded a voicemail on a different line so I could hear how it sounds. The call coming from the headset sounded very good, could not tell I was on a headset. However, as a number of reviews state, the audio you hear from the other side of the call had a tin like sound.

3) This didn't occur to me when I bought it, but if I do get another headset, I want one that doesn't rely on an ear loop... because I wear sunglasses a lot of the time.
There is a solution out there, that tells you to use Jabra eargels with the Jawbone to make it work without the ear loop. Maybe it depends on the batch of eargels you get, but I couldn't get them to fit on the jawbone securely.

4) The ear loop, and how it is attached to the jawbone itself feels kinda fragile. If I were packing this in my laptop bag or something, seems like you would need to be extra careful. I have read a number of comments about fragile parts of it breaking.

I know this isn't a real review of the thing, but just a couple thoughts.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
JRMillion

Looked up the H9 you mentioned...
Would be cool if it works well. Heard good things about it?

The first review I came across does not have good things to say
Motorola H9 Miniblue Headset Review | Treonauts

Last edited by JRMillion; 05-31-2007 at 10:04 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Richison

Thanks for your thoughts JR! I'm not sure what I want to do now.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
JRMillion

I was at best buy earlier getting a price match on a couple hard drives, and decided to check out what headsets they had in stock...

The Plantronics 655 looks pretty cool. It is small and doesn't use an earloop. However I am reading mixed reviews of it. It is a good deal cheaper than the Jawbone (on amazon anyway, way overpriced in the store), so maybe the bar is lower.

I might give is a shot, since it looks more subtle... I am not into the idea of being that a-hole on the wireless headset
I guess that is more a function of how loudly you talk, but still.

I does however have a very good review on CNET...
They also have a video of it.
Plantronic Discovery 655 Bluetooth Headset Reviews. Headphones/Headsets Reviews by CNET.

Last edited by JRMillion; 05-31-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
cellhead

I returned the Jawbone after a few days. Factors were:
  1. Poor sound, a deravative of the following points.
  2. Device did not fit securly into the ear canal.
  3. Device would lean away from my face when I leaned over to pick something up.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
JRMillion

I returned my Jawbone also.

Ordered a Plantronics 665 from Buy.com for $70, waiting to receive that.
Price seems pretty good... its like $120 or $130 in BestBuy.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
sraycutty

Carrier: verizon

Had the H9 for a few days. Functionality was fine, but even though you get 4 ear pieces to get best fit, none worked for me. You almost need to create a seal in your ear canal to keep it in.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

I've got a Plantronics 665 and a Jawbone. Bought them within a few weeks of one another. Of the two, the 665 (and it's predecessor the 655) definitely win in the "cool looking" department. They come with all the charging options you'd ever need, the thing vibrates in it's little holder whenever you get a call so you can leave the phone on silent all the time, etc. The sound coming in thru the earpiece is VERY good. But the outgoing sound just isn't that great. The noise reduction basically makes YOU sound like you are talking thru a tin can. And it's almost useless in very noisy environments, like on trains or in airports, because it tends to "overprocess" everything, including your voice. Battery life was pretty abysmal as well. But you could wear it for hours (no loop required, but it does come with on) and it just stays put....hardly even notice you have it on. Oh and one more big issue for me...the thing isn't shielded well and picks up static (which your callers will hear) from just about any wireless source....wireless networks, phones, etc.

The Jawbone, OTOH, works exactly as advertised. I actually am using one of my Plantronics earbuds on the Jawbone and thus far it's not fallen off at all The trick to fixing the Jawbones incoming sound is to ensure that you've got a canal that drives the sound into your ear canal and not into some fleshy part of your ear. The stock buds that come with it are hard rubber and not at all good at channelling the sound. Once I addressed that, I've loved it. And although I do use the loop with it, the rubber part of that loop is very comfortable.

Just a matter of choice, I'd say. I'm selling my 665 on eBay because the Jawbone wins for me.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Had the Jawbone for a couple of weeks now and for the first time in my BB headset history, the person on the other end of the phone isn't constantly complaining to me about the road noise. I've owned just about every model of Moto a couple SE's and one Plantronics. The Jawbone is THE answer if you're willing to sacrifice form and some functionality (the method for changing the volume is completely asinine) for spectactular performance.

--Mav
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
4tay

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
Had the Jawbone for a couple of weeks now and for the first time in my BB headset history, the person on the other end of the phone isn't constantly complaining to me about the road noise. I've owned just about every model of Moto a couple SE's and one Plantronics. The Jawbone is THE answer if you're willing to sacrifice form and some functionality (the method for changing the volume is completely asinine) for spectactular performance.

--Mav
I totally agree. I have had multiple headsets and everyone always complained except for this one. The only down side is getting it comfortably in your ear, which I am still struggling with. Other than that I would highly recommend this headset, since it is the 8th one I have used.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Do any of these work with the voice dialing???
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Yes, most of them do.

--Mav
Closed Thread