Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
mtnbike
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo
Default uma handoff problems

Please Login to Remove!

I've got a new tmo curve...
tmo to uma works no problems, when I walk out of range of my wifi network uma to tmo works. However, if the wifi connection is suddenly lost, ie wifi router is shutoff or dsl signal is lost but wifi stay active my calls get dropped and the handoff to tmo does not work even if I have full tmo reception

any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
dofficer

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

hmm...I also noticed some strange behavior in the past two days with my home wi-fi router especially in the morning when my BB 8320 is in a sleep mode from UMA connection. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what is the exactly problem. I thought my router was being hacked but it appears to be from 8320 cuz I never had an issue with my router since I got Verizon FIOS Internet/TV installed. Not sure yet.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
roger92653

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

I have this same problem and am on hold with TMO support
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike View Post
I've got a new tmo curve...
tmo to uma works no problems, when I walk out of range of my wifi network uma to tmo works. However, if the wifi connection is suddenly lost, ie wifi router is shutoff or dsl signal is lost but wifi stay active my calls get dropped and the handoff to tmo does not work even if I have full tmo reception

any thoughts?
In the case of a router shut down or DSL failure I would expect it to not hand off. A hand off is negotiated between the two systems. Mind you in a fraction of a second but if your WiFi fails a hand off is not possible.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
jstodda79

Model: 8300
PIN: 241E85A8
Carrier: I work for T-Mobile!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
In the case of a router shut down or DSL failure I would expect it to not hand off. A hand off is negotiated between the two systems. Mind you in a fraction of a second but if your WiFi fails a hand off is not possible.
He is right.. you also have to tweak your settings.. Keep them on auto selection for best use. There have been UMA issues with the curve and esp for those moving from a non UMA BB to the new curve. Keep in mind your old BB service policy did not have UMA settings, so using the backup/restore method actually can remove the UMA settings from your blackberry. There is a work around that is gonna be posted when I get to work tomorrow. Its basically a selective backup. But both systems must be on and functional. Its like call forwarding, if the forwarding phone is not working or suspended, the call will not forward right..
Old 09-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I have noticed problems if I'm in a weak T-Mobile coverage area. If I leave with the phone on UMA, it not only will drop the call, but it appears to also lose data coverage despite showing either an EDGE or GPRS symbol and adequate signal strength.

I usually test this by trying to browse, and I'll know this has occured because when I try to open a bookmark I get an immediate error message that I'm not in data coverage -- despite the curve displaying strong signal and a data icon (either EDGE or GPRS)
Closed Thread