Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #141
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosmuth View Post
Ok, I registered just to ask a couple of questions about this thread in particular (and this was done after a fair amount of research so hopefully they will not be stupid and might help others that come searching):

1. So clearly people are excited about the possibility of a CDMA version of the 83XX series (Curve) on Verizon/Sprint versus the GSM version on AT&T/TMobile--but why? Is the non-wifi internet service that much faster? Just trying to get a handle on why I would want to wait on this versus going with the TMobile Curve which also has wifi.

2. Speaking of which, doing a quick search it seems that many on here would rather use one of the other devices/carriers (and sacrifice wifi)--is the internet/data connection generally that good with Verizon/AT&T/Sprint that good that it makes the wifi that easy to sacrifice?

I realize this may not be adding to the "rumors", but hopefully it will help some people understand what the "fuss" is over this phone. And if it helps for background, I'm using an old Verizon Windows Mobile phone and Blackberry 72XX (provided by job that I must use) and am just trying to begin the process of finding the best model to replace both. Thanks for all the help....TS

first, welcome to the forums!
as to point 1) EVDO (CDMA data) is much faster than EDGE (GSM data). The average speeds are twice as fast. It also does not limit you to the wifi areas to get fast internet. Verizon/Sprint also have a much larger coverage area than Tmobile.
for point 2) people also tend to stay within carriers because of the termination fees associated with switching. GSM carriers you can buy an unlocked GSM device and use your SIM in it, but you cannot do this with CDMA. If you are with sprint, or verizon, you have to wait until they launch the device you want, or your contract is up. The Curve for CDMA has alot of hype because they havent had a full qwerty keyboard with camera. Until recently, they didnt have a camera at all (pearl 2 launched 4th quarter of last year).
Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #142
SapperLeader
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I looking forward to the curve on Verizon mostly because the keyboard. The keyboard on the 8830 is just terrible (in my opinion) i go out of my way to avoid using it and that defeats the whole purpose of the Blackberry.

My wife's curve on AT&T is another matter the keyboard is a joy to use.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #143
Maximus_Prime
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT & T
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
We seem to have the same rumors being repeated here that the folks at BBGeeks are repeating.
BlackBerry Curve, coming soon to CDMA | BB Geeks

I don't understand why they say "The keyboard on the Curve doesn’t light up, but that’s no big deal." That statement makes me think the person writing the article has never held a Curve in his hands if he states the keyboard doesn't light up. And it speaks to a credibility issue, doesn't it?
My curve keyboard used to light up, not anymore
the original white color is turning to Titanium color b/c of my curve is exposed to all kind of dirt/dust etc on my jobsite
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #144
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

Hey all-

Had a call from my Verizon sales rep this morning...he called to tell me that the Verizon Curve MIGHT (keyword MIGHT) be released first quarter this year. It's about time.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #145
Fletchi18
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: a Colada

Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 here... As someone said before, if they can't do the 'I know a guy who...' posts, then what is this forum for? If its not for 'Rumors', why isit called 'Rumor Mill'? Why isn't it called 'Fact Mill', with the rule that you need to have signed affidivits from at least 3 high ranking employees of either RIM or the carrier involved?

If you only want facts, don't have a vehicle set up for the discussion of rumors.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #146
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchi18 View Post
Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 here... As someone said before, if they can't do the 'I know a guy who...' posts, then what is this forum for? If its not for 'Rumors', why isit called 'Rumor Mill'? Why isn't it called 'Fact Mill', with the rule that you need to have signed affidivits from at least 3 high ranking employees of either RIM or the carrier involved?

If you only want facts, don't have a vehicle set up for the discussion of rumors.

Meow
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #147
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
(wait for 8900 series)
...since there isn't currently nor will be an 8900 series device, they'll be waiting for a very long time, eh?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #148
RedSoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Man, I can't wait too much longer for the Verizon Curve. My 8703e is on it's last leg. I really love the device and actually thought about buying another one until I checked out the Curve. It's the upgraded version of the 8703e.

I hope my 8703e can hold on a little longer. I really don't want to buy the 8803.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #149
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the curve for CDMA isnt going to be the same. the 8830 is basically a replacement to the 8703e, the curve and pearl are new animals altogether
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #150
blizake

Carrier: ATT&T

My co-worker seen one yesterday at a Verizon symposium.

The RIM rep had one.

He said April or May
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #151
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

well just to point out, if the rep from RIM had it, and he truly was from RIM, he doesnt have control over the release date, and neither does RIM. VZW has to have it pass their QA after it passes RIM's QA. Also, RIM is notoriously tight lipped about these things, so if the rep was showing it off to that many people, he may very well have some job related issues on the horizon.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #152
blizake

Carrier: ATT&T

It was a little meeting yesterday.

My co-worker held it and everything it is cdma only not gsm sim.

he was only speculating on the release date though
Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #153
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

love the pearl but a bigger screen and full qwerty would be nice, i hope its shares all the positive features i love about the pearl
Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #154
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw

Is there any other device or phone that takes this long to go from gsm to cdma? We're literally one year behind att? It is mind-boggling. I would have no gripes with my 8703 if not for the fact that the curve has been out and i've been watching it for over a year. Does anyone know if it's RIM or VZW that makes it take a full year? I could see there being an advantage to the carrier waiting on new products to maximize sales on existing products, but when other carriers are able to go full speed ahead, I would think that people jumping ship to get the latest and greatest would take a toll. I don't see myself going to att, but I was in one of their stores yesterday, and it's tempting.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #155
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

I bet Verizon has a lot of marketing data that tells them this is the way to go. But it sure is a company first, let the customer wait attitude. As other carriers catch up in network coverage they will I expect feel a blacklash.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #156
tomdkat

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevergreen View Post
Is there any other device or phone that takes this long to go from gsm to cdma? We're literally one year behind att? It is mind-boggling. I would have no gripes with my 8703 if not for the fact that the curve has been out and i've been watching it for over a year. Does anyone know if it's RIM or VZW that makes it take a full year? I could see there being an advantage to the carrier waiting on new products to maximize sales on existing products, but when other carriers are able to go full speed ahead, I would think that people jumping ship to get the latest and greatest would take a toll. I don't see myself going to att, but I was in one of their stores yesterday, and it's tempting.

RIM wants to sell more phones. GSM is globally adopted compared to its cdma counterpart which has only a handful of carriers. So it makes more business sense to get the the version out first that can sell the most phones......

Last edited by tomdkat; 02-17-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #157
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

I hear you totally. However, how many extra people would it take for RIM to release gsm and cdma at the same time? OR...if the same people that work on the gsm version started on the cdma version, surely that doesn't take a year. I mean, the rest of the unit is already complete? For these reasons, i would think it's mostly vzw holding things up. But I don't know jack.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #158
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

I think the delay has been on the OS, not necessarily the device.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #159
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the device isnt anything like previous curves. keep in mind the first service to get the pearl 2 was CDMA, not GSM. RIM has been completely redesigning the devices to release them on CDMA. If they follow this pattern, this curve wont be like the GSM version but rather enhanced, and more of a curve 2.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #160
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Understood, but I'd love to have Curve I rather than wait for a slightly improved (but exact same form factor) Curve II. Oh well.
Closed Thread