Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Review - Speck Product SeeThru Shell for Pearl with Screen Protection

Please Login to Remove!

I posted a couple days ago looking for a review of Speck Products new case and it didn't seem as if there was anyone that had tried it yet. I believe it is pretty new. Anyhow here is my review after having the case for about 3 hours.

Speck Products - Cases for BlackBerry Pearl

Ordering from Speck Products - Directly:
1. Easy order process, no big deal and no different than any other site.
2. Cost was 24.95 for shell and holster (I think this is cheaper than others that advertise on this site). After ground shipping it was $31 or in that range.
2. Shipping was super fast, went out the same day, shipped at UPS Ground 3-5 days and got almost exactly 48 hours later. Super fast shipping but it might be because I am on the west coast and it came from San Fran area.

Product Review:
1. First and foremost for my needs and protection it had the most important feature, FULL SCREEN COVERAGE. The screen is very clear (although it appears smoke colored when you receive it there is no screen distortion at all and it is bright and colorful just as it was without the case.
2. Form fit is perfect, although I caution you if you have a SheildZone or BSE on your Pearl it will not fit perfect and the screen will mash up against the skin creating distortion. I had BSE but removed since the case was more important and more protection than the skin IMHO. I tried even removing all but the screen coverage of the skin (battery skin, top and bottom) but it still caused the distortion.
3. Does not add much bulk at all and also doesn't have any extra bulk for belt clip, etc. just a basic case to fit in the pocket with a seperate rotating holster if you like to wear your Pearl on your hip or elsewhere.
4. Access to all convenient keys, headphone jack, USB jack, volume control, mute button, little speaker opening at the top, microphone hole on the bottom, camera/flash/reflector on battery door, phone strap holes and the Phone Functions/Pearl and all keyboard keys are unobstructured.
5. Assembly on the phone was very easy and I like the way it attaches to the phone and to itself when you put it on.
6. Holster is a basic design. There are female (indented) + signs on each side of the case that clip in to male (protruding) + signs on the holster to keep it secured to the holster. Seems pretty easy to holster and unholster although I won't use this feature often because my case almost exclusively gets carried in my pocket which is why form factor and no extra bulk is very important to me.
7. Finally, the case if very attractive and does not deter from the sleek look of the Pearl.

That is all I can think of for now. I will check back and see if others have questions but this is the case I have been waiting for...oh for about 6 months now....and am just happy that Speck Products finally made it and it seems to be a pretty good design, I guess it was worth the wait.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Can you please post some pics?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Tixxx

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Pretty cool
Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
xxaarraa

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Any idea if this is offered by any neighborhood retailers?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Any idea if this is offered by any neighborhood retailers?
Not sure but CompUSA typically has carried the MOTO Q and SLVR SeeThru case so you might check them out in a week or two but delivery cost is pretty cheap if you don't want to wait.

Last edited by 7100simpleisbetter; 03-01-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
emsmx5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EF1062
Carrier: T-Mo

CompUSA doesn't carry the case in-store, but their Business Sales reps can order it for you. Regular price of 16.99 plus 5.00 for ground shipping. The sales rep can also discount the price some (I got mine for 14.21 plus S&H) but they won't always. Or if you want you can order it off their site. I would post a link, but it's a long one and I don't have 10 posts yet. Go to compusabusiness.com and search for SKU# 52797531. They don't have a pic of it on their site, but you can see it at speck's site. I can't wait to get mine in and try it out!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
gunner4187

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsmx5
I can't wait to get mine in and try it out!
Have you recieved the case yet? I am interested in it and wanted to know your thoughts as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
ChinoxL37

Carrier: tmobile

Love the look but I plan on getin that new seido medium extended battery willll it fit that even the cover extends 1 mm?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 AM   #9
scarecrow

I just received this case today from Speck and so far I love it. It fits perfectly and adds only about 1mm to the phone. As stated earlier,the fit is too tight for use with BSE attached to the phone. So I trimmed down the BSE screen skin and attached it directly to the Speck case...Works like a charm, and it should keep the plastic Speck screen cover scratch free. Most likely will not work with medium extended battery
Definately worth the $$$

Last edited by scarecrow; 03-08-2007 at 02:15 AM..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #10
ChinoxL37

Carrier: tmobile

Hmm ok.. Now to decide longevity or beauty... Good question grashoppa
Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
I posted a couple days ago looking for a review of Speck Products new case and it didn't seem as if there was anyone that had tried it yet. I believe it is pretty new. Anyhow here is my review after having the case for about 3 hours.
Question: The photos on the web site look like the back of this case is bare. If so, would it be possible to use the case with the extended battery (forgoing the holster, of course)?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
gunner4187

Ordered mine on 3-6-2007 from CompUSA Business and called today (3-9-2007) because I hadn’t received an email stating it had been shipped. The REP called back and said that the 24 they thought they had are non-existent, so the product is temporarily out of stock. I feel they should have at least emailed me and let me know what was going on, so I cancelled the order. I guess I’ll stop being cheap and order from the Speck website.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

compusa is completely closing up here in nj.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
brfilora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Can you please post some pics?
Save everyone a little leg work...

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
Liberty Ship

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter

Ordering from Speck Products - Directly:
1. Easy order process, no big deal and no different than any other site.
2. Cost was 24.95 for shell and holster (I think this is cheaper than others that advertise on this site). After ground shipping it was $31 or in that range.
2. Shipping was super fast, went out the same day, shipped at UPS Ground 3-5 days and got almost exactly 48 hours later. Super fast shipping but it might be because I am on the west coast and it came from San Fran area.

Product Review:
1. First and foremost for my needs and protection it had the most important feature, FULL SCREEN COVERAGE. The screen is very clear (although it appears smoke colored when you receive it there is no screen distortion at all and it is bright and colorful just as it was without the case.
2. Form fit is perfect, although I caution you if you have a SheildZone or BSE on your Pearl it will not fit perfect and the screen will mash up against the skin creating distortion. I had BSE but removed since the case was more important and more protection than the skin IMHO. I tried even removing all but the screen coverage of the skin (battery skin, top and bottom) but it still caused the distortion.
3. Does not add much bulk at all and also doesn't have any extra bulk for belt clip, etc. just a basic case to fit in the pocket with a seperate rotating holster if you like to wear your Pearl on your hip or elsewhere.
4. Access to all convenient keys, headphone jack, USB jack, volume control, mute button, little speaker opening at the top, microphone hole on the bottom, camera/flash/reflector on battery door, phone strap holes and the Phone Functions/Pearl and all keyboard keys are unobstructured.
5. Assembly on the phone was very easy and I like the way it attaches to the phone and to itself when you put it on.
6. Holster is a basic design. There are female (indented) + signs on each side of the case that clip in to male (protruding) + signs on the holster to keep it secured to the holster. Seems pretty easy to holster and unholster although I won't use this feature often because my case almost exclusively gets carried in my pocket which is why form factor and no extra bulk is very important to me.
7. Finally, the case if very attractive and does not deter from the sleek look of the Pearl.

That is all I can think of for now. I will check back and see if others have questions but this is the case I have been waiting for...oh for about 6 months now....and am just happy that Speck Products finally made it and it seems to be a pretty good design, I guess it was worth the wait.

Agree on all counts. I carry in pocket, too. The clear screen cover provides much clearer resolution than the sticky screen protectors I had been using. I now feel like if I drop it, the battery cover won't pop off! Once on, it's not easy to get off, which is good, unless you need to pull your battery frequently. I would highly recommend SoftReset to go with this case. Likewise, if there is ever to be a drop in charging cradle for the Pearl, it won't work with this case which covers the entire back other than the camera window.

The belt clip is good and the BB can be rotated for angle. Probably sufficient for office work and cube farming, but I would not trust my BB to it if I were Jack Bauer.

I ordered late on Thursday afternoon Eastern Time directly from Speck. I received it in Georgia Friday, using the UPS overnight option. Total cost, about $40. Good service. Happy with product.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
Digitalhour

Carrier: suncom

I want one.. thats hell nice.. !
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
gunner4187

I’ve had the product for a little over a week now and the screen protector has more scratches on it than my old pearl had in 5 months of use. I didn’t treat the phone with the case any different, if anything it was treated better. This leads me to believe that the case scratches easily. In some areas it’s hard to read the screen. I am returning this one and receiving another. Hopefully the easy scratching is only a fluke in the case I received.
Besides the scratching, I love this product. The holster at first glance doesn’t look strong but after putting on my belt and testing, it is strong indeed. As long as the phone is “locked” into the holster (which took me a few times), everything is great. I can tug on the phone and it will not come loose.
All in all I think this is a great case (minus scratching) and holster. I can’t wait to receive the new one.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
Korexz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
PIN: 2576D674
Carrier: T-Mobile

This case is PERFECT!

The only thing that could make it better is a rubberized strip on the back side where it says SPECK. I am thinking of ways to do that myself.
Closed Thread