Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
varocketry

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Same Roxio problem - reloaded XP - worked fine

Please Login to Remove!

I had the ROXIO problem when recently attempting to load it with AT&T Technical Support's help. I had been having laptop driver issues.

I finished an OS reload of XP and Roxio then loaded fine. Reportedly its pretty finicky about the OS condition.

YMMV ...
Old 07-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #22
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

I downloaded DM 4.5 and had this problem after rebooting -- all the temp files had been cleared so RMM couldn't finish installing.

Bounce1111 has the answer - worked like a charm. I did mine a little differently...

I still had the DM .exe file around so I doubleclicked on it as if I were going to install DM again. This caused the .exe file to reextract its contents in the same temporary directory as it had previously done. Note that I didn't go any further than double clicking on the .exe file. The DM setup wizard came on and told me I was getting ready to install DM, but I never clicked NEXT (the first setup screen is simply an indication that the files have been extracted). Anyway, once I saw that screen I went back to RMM finished the Roxio Media Manager installation. It prompted me to restart, at which point I cancelled out of the DM installation and restarted.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
xenetar

Model: 7250
Carrier: sprint
Default This is how to fix it... I just did it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce1111 View Post
I'm on an 8300, but I had the same problem and here's the fix.

I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

That gives you an .exe file, which is a self-extracting archive.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.

That worked for me, anyway. Blackberry 8300. BES. WinXP Pro SP2.

Your Mileage May Vary.

For those confused, just open winzip, and target this .exe file. I personally had the "Multi-Language" version of the desktopsoftware4.3(multilanguage) exe file...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #24
gwbarton

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Still struggling...

I have tried all off the above.... Roxio installs but it will not launch from the DM... Tried launching from the folder

I think I am going postal...

Any other suggestions?

DM= 4.5.0.15
8310 = 4.5.0.55
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #25
what_smells

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I don't know if this solution will solve any of your problems, but it solved mine for my Curve 8330.

When I installed Blackberry Desktop and Roxio Media Manager that comes with it, the Windows Installer froze as it was finishing. This leaves the temporary files on your computer and corrupts the install/uninstall files. Every time I'd start my computer, I'd be prompted to restart the computer to "complete Roxio's installation." As soon as it would finish rebooting, it would prompt me to restart again like before. If I said "Restart later" it would close all my programs and restart anyway. My computer was useless because any time I'd start it up, it would restart before I could do anything.

The solution I found was this:
1) Right click on My Computer and select Manage
2) Double click on Services and Applications
3) Double click on Services
4) Double click on Windows Installer at the bottom of the list
5) Under Startup Type, change it from Manual to Disabled
6) Either insert the CD or download the installer for Blackberry Desktop Manager, and run it. You can also go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and remove Blackberry/Roxio software.
7) Restart your computer, turn Windows Installer back to Manual, and reinstall the program fully.

Keep in mind with step #6 that you'll need to turn Windows Installer back to Manual before uninstalling Roxio/Blackberry, and turn it to Disabled again before it restarts your computer. I don't know if this is the answer you guys are looking for, but hopefully it helps.

Last edited by what_smells; 10-19-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #26
howlingthunder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Extracting all contents from the b015.exe worked for me. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #27
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!

After installing roxio, I find it a piece of sh*t. Freezes non-stop, and doesn't load or takes way too long. Though, this is only when it is reading my device or syncing it. Other then that, it is ok (without the device).
Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #28
twlvdzn

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for this discussion and good advice. You made it easy for me to clear up this same problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
WPWoodJr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_smells View Post
I don't know if this solution will solve any of your problems, but it solved mine for my Curve 8330.

When I installed Blackberry Desktop and Roxio Media Manager that comes with it, the Windows Installer froze as it was finishing. This leaves the temporary files on your computer and corrupts the install/uninstall files. Every time I'd start my computer, I'd be prompted to restart the computer to "complete Roxio's installation." As soon as it would finish rebooting, it would prompt me to restart again like before. If I said "Restart later" it would close all my programs and restart anyway. My computer was useless because any time I'd start it up, it would restart before I could do anything.

6) Either insert the CD or download the installer for Blackberry Desktop Manager, and run it. You can also go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and remove Blackberry/Roxio software.
7) Restart your computer, turn Windows Installer back to Manual, and reinstall the program fully.

Keep in mind with step #6 that you'll need to turn Windows Installer back to Manual before uninstalling Roxio/Blackberry, and turn it to Disabled again before it restarts your computer. I don't know if this is the answer you guys are looking for, but hopefully it helps.
This worked for me. I had a situation where the Windows installer was constantly running trying to install the Roxio Media Manager. Problem was, the temporary files that the BB install had created to install Roxio had been removed already so the install kept failing. I would modify the instructions slightly:

6) Cancel the installation of Roxio Media Manager and wait a few minutes until you're sure its finished
7) Change startup type back to manual
8) Go to Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel and remove Blackberry software.
9) Download the installer for Blackberry Desktop Manager, change the extension from .exe to .zip, extract the files to disk, and run the BB install.
10) delete the extracted BB installation software and .zip file
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #30
OneSorryGuy

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Thumbs up Another solution

Hi, all,

I didn't try the exhaustive registry clean-out method, but nothing else worked. I have Vista Business and BB 8310. I also have Roxio MyDVD software installed which also uses Roxio Media Manager, just to make it even more fun.

What worked for me was:
  1. Unzip the combined installer file to a folder as described earlier in this thread.
  2. Let the Desktop Manager install. I was installing version 4.7.
  3. Click Cancel when Roxio Media Manager.msi cannot be found.
  4. Now after canceling the failed Roxio install, open the SR_MM folder and right click SETUP.EXE.
  5. Choose Run as Administrator (note: I also disabled antivirus, Windows Firewall, and User Account Control, but I'm not sure if that's necessary really.)

This made it install fine for me.

Good luck to all.

OneSorryGuy
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #31
smith67
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: orange
Default Holy Roxio...........

Ok, story so far ...
Xp, usual up to date updates ... DM 4.7 ...
Can I get Roxio Media Manager to install ?? can I feck ....
I admit to being stumped on this one after trying all of the above. Roxio refuses to install and the process just hangs, sucking up 100% CPU resources. Ok, my life doesn't depend on this, but it's nice to find solutions to those things that defy all reason, so I'd appreciate some further thoguhts ...

Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #32
jjesske

Carrier: Sasktel

Quote:

I downloaded the latest BlackBerry desktop software from blackberry.com. I downloaded the English version with media manager.

Use WinZip to unzip the .exe file to a folder. Browse to the SR_MM directory and you'll find "Roxio Media Manager.msi".

The next time you are asked for the location of Roxio Media Manager.msi, click browse, and browse to the file that you extracted above. Let it install, reboot when it's done, and you should be good to go.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Thanks: What a pain - I had the ismu.msi problem and your solution to download the latest version worked great. During the install it asked me to remove older versions of the Roxio files and I clicked yes. I think this is finally what stopped the update manager from switching on everytime I started my computer.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
euclid47th

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Telus

Quote:

Your Mileage May Vary.
Just another confirmation: this worked fine.
Honestly, my BB experience has not been good. I'm one or two more headaches away from a different phone.
Thank you for the fix.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #34
YankeeinVA

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

One more confirmation -- the solution described by Bounce1111 on 3/25/2008 worked great using the latest version of Desktop Manager (v.5.0) with my BB Storm on Windows XP Pro. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
lajster

Model: Storm

I tried that but it's telling me that it's not a valid installation package. I've tried to remove the entire desktop program but Windows (XP) won't let me because I have an installation in progress (Roxio).

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE help!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #36
BrunoM71

Model: 8900
Carrier: luxgsm - vodafone

Hi,

I faced to the same trouble like all the others here.
I have the latest version of BB desktop manager with Roxio Media manager, but the same problem occurs in every third minute.
By Process Explorer I found that this not requested install process is started by a program called agent.exe. Provider of this application is Macrovision.

If I manage to solve this problem I will post it.
I must solve because this makes me crazy.....
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #37
THENYLO

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoM71 View Post
Hi,

I faced to the same trouble like all the others here.
I have the latest version of BB desktop manager with Roxio Media manager, but the same problem occurs in every third minute.
By Process Explorer I found that this not requested install process is started by a program called agent.exe. Provider of this application is Macrovision.

If I manage to solve this problem I will post it.
I must solve because this makes me crazy.....
I found the .exe file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService

[quote]Purpose of isuspm.exe:

Process or task name:

Be sure to always double check your spelling if you are concerned about spyware, as often spyware will use a very similiar spelling of system processes or other common tasks. isuspm.exe

File type:
Exe program - Files with an extension of "exe" are executable programs.

Purpose of this file:
Isuspm.exe is a program which may have been installed by you when you installed other software programs. This is a program which is from a company called Macrovision. The actual disk location is shown below, always verify the location to make sure it is not spware, as the file should be located as shown. The purpose of this program is to check for the latest updates from Macrovision products. This file is considered safe and is not considered spyware, adware, or virus related.

Last edited by THENYLO; 08-26-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #38
amp8118

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

I have the same problem and have been trying for hours, still no resolution. Yes, I tried reinstalling, but I can't reinstall if the installer can't be killed. I also tried installing in safe mode but that won't work b/c installer won't run in safe mode.

This is the most GOD AWEFULL program ever. I will never use ROXIO or BB again. It's more like MALWARE. Don't even touch this with a 10 foot pole!

Last edited by amp8118; 10-16-2009 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: more details
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #39
bardberry

I also had this problem. Every time I rebooted windows installer would come up and try to install from a path that didn't exist.

I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and just disabled windows installer for Roxio.

support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #40
Kirkx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp8118 View Post
I will never use ROXIO or BB again. It's more like MALWARE. Don't even touch this with a 10 foot pole!
Correct about Roxio and wrong about BB. Roxio is a bloated hog that gives all kinds of problems, which are well documented on internet forums. Manufactures bundle this crappy software with new computers and BB made a mistake to bundle it with Desktop Manager.

The solution is to install DM without Roxio, use the installation file "without media manager":

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...HfHRxc7FNW5Q**

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1...2009181712.png
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1...2009181916.png
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1...2009181848.png

Of course first you would need to uninstall your current DM, the one with Roxio.

Last edited by Kirkx; 10-16-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Closed Thread