Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Emulsifide

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Pretty much all of them
Default Urgent: Moving BES 4.1.6 (bund 65) from GW7.0.3 to GW8SP1

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. Long time lurker here.

Here's the situation. I have a BES 4.1.6 (Bundle 65) that we need to move from our old NDS tree running GroupWise 7.0.3 over to our new tree running GroupWise 8 SP1.

Does anyone have any information on how to go about this? Would it be easier to just do a totally new installation? If I do that, will I be able to restore my BES database to the new server and have it pick up on the 40 BB phones that I have registered to the old system?

To give some further description to the new GroupWise system, we have actually recreated all of the original users from the old 7.0.3 system in the new 8 SP1 system. Each individual user has been programmed with it's original FID from the old system. The switchover will be happening this Sunday morning. During this time, mail will stop flowing from our spam firewall and all post office mail will be archive to each individual user's GW archive. The archives will then be pointed to the new GW8SP1 system. Calendars and address books will be exported and imported to the new system.

Please let me know if you can shed any light on this. I'd hate to have all of my BB users have to reactivate their phones come Monday. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Hey Emulsifide

We just recently did a direct upgrade from GW7 to GW8, and everything worked fine. Our BES and our SQL farm worked perfectly. No need to upgrade anything or do anything. we've had a test bed where we had the BES running on GW7 and did the upgrade, and after the upgrade was done, the BES still kept running like a champ.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Emulsifide

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Pretty much all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcheun View Post
Hey Emulsifide

We just recently did a direct upgrade from GW7 to GW8, and everything worked fine. Our BES and our SQL farm worked perfectly. No need to upgrade anything or do anything. we've had a test bed where we had the BES running on GW7 and did the upgrade, and after the upgrade was done, the BES still kept running like a champ.

hcheun,

This is not going to be a direct upgrade. Like I said, we are moving to a brand spankin new NDS tree, so the BES needs to point to a completely different post office.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
berried

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon
Default Same boat, sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulsifide View Post
hcheun,

This is not going to be a direct upgrade. Like I said, we are moving to a brand spankin new NDS tree, so the BES needs to point to a completely different post office.
We are building a 4.1.6 BES for GW 8. And having no luck with the SOAP connector so far.

Login Failed: Err=User not on post office

I'd be interested to hear how yours works or what the fix is. Sorry can't offer advice, yet.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
berried

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by berried View Post
We are building a 4.1.6 BES for GW 8. And having no luck with the SOAP connector so far.

Login Failed: Err=User not on post office

I'd be interested to hear how yours works or what the fix is. Sorry can't offer advice, yet.
I did fix the failed SOAP connection by switching to oAPI as suggested by numerous sources, though against the will of RIM.
Closed Thread