Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #41
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD
For those here that are using Yahoo (Plus preferable, or standard) with Cingular's BIS 2, I have a quick question.

I use Yahoo with BIS 1.8 with Polling, and although Yahoo does a good job filtering Spam and putting it to my Bulk folder, BIS 1.8 Polling still sees it and delivers it to my Berry. With BIS 2.0, is email that ends up in the Bulk folder still making it to the Blackberry?

Thanks.
I'm on BIS 2.0 with Yahoo integration and the answer thankfully is no. I just checked my Bulk folder in Yahoo webmail and it has 5 emails, all of them spam, and none of them were forwarded to my handheld.
Of course you can turn the Spam filter off and have everything forwarded to your Blackberry but I wouldn't; it's a great system.
EDIT: I do actually have Yahoo MailPlus. I don't assume that it would be any different with standard Yahoo Mail.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-19-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #42
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
I'm on BIS 2.0 with Yahoo integration and the answer thankfully is no. I just checked my Bulk folder in Yahoo webmail and it has 5 emails, all of them spam, and none of them were forwarded to my handheld.
Of course you can turn the Spam filter off and have everything forwarded to your Blackberry but I wouldn't; it's a great system.
EDIT: I do actually have Yahoo MailPlus. I don't assume that it would be any different with standard Yahoo Mail.
Thanks for the reply Cooper. I see you're on Rogers, so I may still wait and see if someone with a Cingular account has the same luck!

Old 06-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #43
tc94040
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

You actually have three choices. You can do one of two things:

1. Turn off spam detection all together. This will mean that everything ends up in your inbox in Yahoo and therefore the BB.

2. Leave spam detection on, but do not allow POP to download items from the "Bulk" folder (under POP settings).

3. Same as #2, but allow POP to download items from the Bulk folder...but tag them in the subject as [bulk].
Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #44
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by justelise
I have spent a total of three hours on the phone and in online chat with Cingular reps over the past week on the Yahoo Mail issue. I spoke with Care, ANS, and was also transferred to RIM. The message across the board was "Upgrade to Yahoo Plus and use POP," even when I showed them proof that it wasn't necessary and there must be a configuration snafu on the BIS.

I'm glad that they're finally admitting that there is a problem, but I'm tired of everyone getting different answers to the same question.
Welcome to the Club. Cingular is absolutely CLUELESS in regards to the BIS 2.0 program. It took me 2 days of constant phone calls to get switched over because Customer Service adamantly denied any such plan existed and depite showing them where on THEIR web page it was denied seeing it. The nightmare with Tech support was worse. On Friday night I was told that the account would not support web access, only email. I do Tech Support for a living so my expectations may be higher, but in a word this has been a DISGRACE on Cingular's part.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #45
hipposon

Model: 7100g
Exclamation Yahoo - BB Webmail - Possible solution

I too initially had trouble setting up my Yahoo Plus email account with BB webmail.

I finally got it to work by leaving the password field blank on the very first setup screen. I only filled in my Yahoo email address. A later page asked me for my password; I entered it there.

Everything seems to work fine.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #46
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Well as usual Cingular bites the big one again. I made the move to BIS 2 mostly so I could reply from the email address a message was sent to, but also in the hopes that I'd stop getting spam on my berry.

Well I can reply from all the email addresses I had set up, but I still get all the spam that hits my Bulk folder.

By the way, NONE of the five email addresses I had set up (and working) under BIS 1.8 worked when I did the migration. I had to go into each one and retype the password for the account before they worked.

Oh yea, although the time it takes isn't too important to me, the response is abysmal. Haven't tried timing it yet, but it's long enough for me to forget I sent something to test!

To add insult to injury, Yahoo STILL doesn't fully support the 8700!!! If you go to http://mobile.yahoo.com/, they know what a Blackberry is, and support 9 Blackberries, but NOT the 8700! Grrrrr.....

Way to go Cingular!

Last edited by JerryD; 06-22-2006 at 07:17 AM..
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #47
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

JerryD. Maybe it's time to start using GMail? Set up Yahoo to forward to Gmail so you can filter spam. The set up a filter in GMail to forward (not POP) to your BIS account. That way you get better response time (Assuming yahoo forwards email on a timely basis) and spam filtering. Maybe it would still be possible in that scenario to use BIS2.0 to "reply as" your Yahoo account?

This is assuming that you would even like Gmail.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #48
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I have given up on Yahoo except for all my HTML type adverstising mail. Too bad since I have been with them since inception. This is why Google is eating their lunch. Half of loaf implementation. I just gave up my Yahoo Music since their sync to my portable was one way only.
Closed Thread