Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default I'm staying here!

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah, my comments were just about the device hardware.

I'm a loyal Blackberry user and always will be!

Actually, unless Blackberry ever converted to Windows for an op system...Yikes! then I would run away! ha ha
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #22
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Talking so do agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Agreed. There are benefits to both. Keep in mind that not everyone wants a slimmer BB. Some of us have big hands...and you know what big hands mean!

i have fat gorrilla hands and need a large blackberry ! thats why i made BB my choice for PDA . i even bought a BB 8700c .... loved it but needed something even bigger so got an extra BB 7290 and absolutely love it to death . its great for my giant need to lose weight hands ... the 7290 and its wide spaced keys with fat wide screen .... great BB .
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #23
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

My biggest personal gripe with the ball is the havoc it (can) wreak on the devices behavior while in your pocket (where mine is 100% of the time I'm not using it). So my question remains: why don't they just allow the option to "turn off" the ball when the device is locked?

TM
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #24
jpfchicago
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: IP5
Carrier: Verizon
Angry agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by simarjeet.sahni
unfortunately, i dont think i care for a thin device as much as i care for a trackwheel that works well, and i think most business consumers would feel the same way.
The track wheel is what makes bb what it is. They have a great product now. They will keep screwing with it until everyone is unsure of where the product is going. Big mistake.

All RIM needs to do to keep their advantage is better screen, battery, improve phone quality and software. They need to just keep to the basics.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I can photoshop one onto an 8800 if you like but this device ain't coming with one. So debate all you like.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #26
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Meh. I can't see the ball being as good as or better than the wheel but I haven't used the trackball at all. Also, having disassembled several models, I can't see how the wheel was restricting the thin-ness of the Blackberry but whatever...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #27
biscuit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none

I think everyone will see that the trackball needs to be improved before they release the 8800. If this is to be the flagship RIM unit it needs to be right when they release it to the public. The major problem of not being able to lock it while in your pocket and missing calls because of it outweighs the benefit of it being ambidexterous which is the reasoning behind the ball over the wheel. The new samsung sgh i607 is a promising thin unit that is sure to out do the Q and will compete head to head with the 8800. RIM better watch the competition and take note. They have had the market on email enabled phones and competition is getting stiff, ie the new Nokia e62 that some say is the best phone on the market today. I actually like the windows mobile software and will buy the unit that works the best for me. I will say that I am glad I didnt get an 8100 and am willing to wait for something that I won't regret purchasing.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #28
dooks88

Model: 8900

I like the track wheel much better...but i am all for new ideas and changes. hopefully they improve on the trackball in the future, and if not, i'll deal with it.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #29
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

i just demoed a 8100...THE BALL HAS TO GO !

Too small and no or littlte clik when you press it!

over enginnered !

anybody remember NEW COKE?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #30
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm had both the 7100 and now the 8100. The ball is definitely better when using the Browser, Berry 411, or when editing an email. (The 7100's wheel only moved one link at a time - very inefficient on some web pages The 8100 ball allows quicker movement.)

Some hardcore phone/email users may disagree - but then they would likely have a 8700 instead, with full keyboard. I adjusted to the 8100's ball within a few days.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #31
anthonymoody

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit
I think everyone will see that the trackball needs to be improved before they release the 8800. If this is to be the flagship RIM unit it needs to be right when they release it to the public. The major problem of not being able to lock it while in your pocket and missing calls because of it outweighs the benefit of it being ambidexterous which is the reasoning behind the ball over the wheel. The new samsung sgh i607 is a promising thin unit that is sure to out do the Q and will compete head to head with the 8800. RIM better watch the competition and take note. They have had the market on email enabled phones and competition is getting stiff, ie the new Nokia e62 that some say is the best phone on the market today. I actually like the windows mobile software and will buy the unit that works the best for me. I will say that I am glad I didnt get an 8100 and am willing to wait for something that I won't regret purchasing.

Dont disagree with everything you've said Biscuit but...have you tried an E62. Yikes. It's s l o o o ooooooowww.

TM
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #32
ILoveAlliO

Model: 7250
Default Frustrated

I actually just purchased an 8703e from Wireless and have definitely fallen in love with it. When I found out that an 8800 was coming out, initially, I was upset because well... that would mean that the 8700 would be... well, obsolete! Today, on my way home, I dropped by a TMo store and checked a Pearl out. Argh, it ticked me off because it reminded me so much of the annoying Apple Mighty Mouse trac-balls. I dont understand why this is what blackberry has moved on to. (well, yes, i know that it's to make the bb's smaller... but I too have big hands and have noticed that the 8700 was becoming too thin for me... resulting in me purchasing an extended battery online... to increase the thickness of the phone.) To be honest, the tracwheel was my favorite characteristic of the blackberry and having it taken away... does not make me happy at all.

Well... I dont know what they're going to do about it... but I too will be keeping my 8700 for a VERY long time. I didnt want to get the mighty mouse because of this issue... and I certainly am not going to want to 'upgrade' to this new pearl interface either. Its not something I'm liking.

Scroll wheel mouse... scroll wheel blackberry. That's what I'm up for.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #33
waine06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveAlliO
I actually just purchased an 8703e from Wireless and have definitely fallen in love with it. When I found out that an 8800 was coming out, initially, I was upset because well... that would mean that the 8700 would be... well, obsolete! Today, on my way home, I dropped by a TMo store and checked a Pearl out. Argh, it ticked me off because it reminded me so much of the annoying Apple Mighty Mouse trac-balls. I dont understand why this is what blackberry has moved on to. (well, yes, i know that it's to make the bb's smaller... but I too have big hands and have noticed that the 8700 was becoming too thin for me... resulting in me purchasing an extended battery online... to increase the thickness of the phone.) To be honest, the tracwheel was my favorite characteristic of the blackberry and having it taken away... does not make me happy at all.

Well... I dont know what they're going to do about it... but I too will be keeping my 8700 for a VERY long time. I didnt want to get the mighty mouse because of this issue... and I certainly am not going to want to 'upgrade' to this new pearl interface either. Its not something I'm liking.

Scroll wheel mouse... scroll wheel blackberry. That's what I'm up for.
I agree completely. I had a similar thought when I purchased my 8700g - trackwheel or the trackball ? I decided to go for the wheel not because I was used to it.. I just could not adjust to the trackball. Yeah I know, the ball is the future of BB's. Yeah it takes a few days to adjust. But I think the wheel is what makes a BB a BB. Looking at the specs for the 8800 made me immediately upgrade from my 7105 to the 8700. No need to wait for a crimson or an indigo. The 8700 is solid device, no frills, no problems. I am just as tech savy as the next person, but the added features just didn't appeal to me. After checking out the Pearl I was left scratching my head Re: build quality. The 8700 seemed more able to withstand an occasional drop when compared to the 8100. I have not tested this hypothesis, but just handling each device, the 8700 feels more sturdy to me. My vote is for the wheel right now. Sorry for the tangent, but after reading numerous posts and examining the future, I will stick with the past. Just my $.07

Last edited by waine06; 10-10-2006 at 10:32 PM..
Old 10-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #34
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here's my 2 cents after having an 8100 for a week and having owned earlier BBs with the wheel. I don't mind the ball as far as moving around, up, down, left and right. But I'm not sure I like using it to select, pressing it down, because of its size. I haven't figured out the best approach to pressing it down. Its very small to press down with your whole thumb, it sorta sinks and it doesn't feel like you selected anything. It would be nice if it clicked when pressed down or possibly a seperate button slightly left to select.. but that screws up the whole keyboard I guess. I suppose this is why I'm not paid to be a keypad engineer. I better get back to routing these syslogs to my BB so I know when somethings down.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #35
kmccarthy

Model: 8320

Either way a is a . they are still the greatest inventions since sliced bread and peanut butter.

Last edited by kmccarthy; 10-12-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #36
hcheun

After being at the tmobile store for about an hour yesterday fiddling with the pearl, i think i can get used to it. Quite frankly , i would still rather have the scroll wheel over the trackball, but like some of you said, change is good, and change takes time. The trackball does have some of the advantages like moving up down, sideways faster, and even the possabilities of some games playing better with the free range the trackballs is able to do. Though the downside, is that it's pretty sensitive, and i don't like making minute adjustments just to go over right or left to the next icon (which was my problem, everytime i moved it fast, it would move like right three icons over). Overall, im willing to turn the blind eye and overlook the replacement of the trackwheel once the 8800 Crimson! comes out.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #37
amnon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default The wheel isn't perfect

My 8700c is 9 months old now and the wheel is definitely not as rigid feeling as it used to be. Sometimes it selects the wrong menu item as it slips one item by itself, so I find myself clicking the Enter button to make sure I select what I want to.
For me the trackball may be an improvement if:
1. It doesn't get clogged
2. Retains its feel.

I haven't tried the Pearl.

Amnon
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #38
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

After just nine days with my new 7130c (my first BB) I'm really enjoying the track wheel and SureType.

That said, I do understand that things change and apparently that's what RIM has decided for the 8800 is change to a track ball. I also understand and agree that it will be easier for left handed people.

I had an opportunity to use a friends 8100 for a day. I too found the track ball, small and difficult to use. It just did not have good tactile feedback, and yet I tried to remain patient and get used to it. Well, I simply could not get used to it, as I made too many mistakes while using it.

This morning I took another careful look at the photos of the 8800. It appears to me that the track ball on that model is larger than the 8100 ball. This may indeed be the answer. The improvement which makes the track ball a viable alternative to the track wheel. After all the additional surface area of the larger ball will provide an entirely different feel. It may be easier to control and produce more accurate results.

It seems to me that since this model is larger than the 8100 the engineers had to more room to work with and that presents far fewer challenges than the very small area available on the 8100 for a track ball.

Now, after reading the earlier posts here on this topic I must admit I'm thinking about an 8700.

I have a couple of questions for those of you with BB 8700 experience.

1) How is the build quality of the 8700?
2) How is the durability of the keyboard and other components.
3) If yours was stolen would you buy another one, or a different BB model.

Thanks in Advance for your feedback
Cheers...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #39
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

build quality is good (dust under the screen is my only pet peeve)

keyboard and wheel are rock solid

i would replace it with the same

no 8100 for me....and i might even pass on the 8800

i want a sleeker 8700 with faster processor, more memory and multi media apps, 2MP camera, video recording and more attachment support thats all...thinner and a tad lighter with a bit more style

the ball is a good idea on paper but i dont think old bb users will take to it

Last edited by mortys11; 10-17-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Old 10-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #40
cmcleod

Carrier: ATT/Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Just got back from playing with the Pearl at the tmob store. I have an 8700 as was anticipating the Indigo. I didn't like the trackball at all and typing was very cramped. I had no idea the Pearl was so tiny. I may hold on to my very solid 8700c for a long time as well and just get an ipod.
Closed Thread