Carrier: AT&T

Just received mine, it works great.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #63
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Default My review of this holster

My case arrived yesterday and I have been using it constantly. I should start off my saying that I had been using the OEM case here and there but just was not a fan of the looks or the functionality. It was bulky and the entry/exit was cumbersome to me (having to hold back the flap).

The main thing I like about this Seidio case is that it holds my 8800 like a vice grip yet shows off my device as it is not hidden in some generic leather case. Call me a geek but I like the fact that folks can see I have the 8800 on my hip.

The first thing I did was grab some pillows, put the 8800 in the case and start trying to shake and pull it out of the case. Not happening. I even pulled on the 8800 to the point that the case was flexing and it did not pull the 8800 out. Sweet.

I am a fan of the dull rubberized look and the material feels good and "grippy". It seems like it is doing a very good job of gripping the device without the risk of scratching the surface of the 8800.

A few things I noticed that I really liked:

* Very slim when compared to the OEM case or any full case for that matter.
* You can see the LED with it in the case so you don't have to remove it to see the email or message notification (I often leave my BB on the desk or couch in the case next to me)
* Several people here have asked about how it handles the "ball" and it seems as though (Seidio may correct me if I am wrong) the case puts the 8800 at an angle where the "ball" will be a bit off of the felt. This also "drives" the top of the 8800 into the clip, most likely providing a more secure grip.
* Felt on the inside of the case is a nice touch to keep the screen from getting scratched.
* I really like the swivel function and what I have been doing is keeping the 8800 on my belt vertically and if I need the phone I swivel it horizontally as this provides a really easy and safe way to get the 8800 out of and into the case. I have never been a fan of having my phone on my belt horizontally but I really like being able to click it over and pull it right out.
* Someone may have mentioned this but it does clip quite snugly to whatevery you clip it to. The clip even has a bit of an underhang that seems to provide a bit more grip to a belt or whatever.
* I almost forgot. Part of this is the 8800 and part of this is the case but with the case and phone being so light, I wore this around on some gym shorts for a while and did not get that "hanging/sagging" feeling.
* This just crossed my mind but unlike some other cases, if anything is spilled or gets on this case, I am pretty sure you could just wash it off with soap and water.
* (via edit) I knew I forgot something... If anyone doubts the magnet putting your phone to sleep, you can actually see the phone go to sleep by (even barely) only putting the bottom of the 8800 in the case. It will be alseep before any bottons come in contact with the inside of the case.

I am adding a photo from their Seidio's site in case someone just went to the second page of this thread..

I am very happy with this case. Hope this helps anyone who was curious like me a few days ago.

Last edited by Dawgfan; 04-10-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #64
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan
* Several people here have asked about how it handles the "ball" and it seems as though (Seidio may correct me if I am wrong) the case puts the 8800 at an angle where the "ball" will be a bit off of the felt. This also "drives" the top of the 8800 into the clip, most likely providing a more secure grip.
Got my Seidio holster today. I was a big fan of the 8700 model, and didn't hesitate to buy the 8800 model.

As for handling the pearl, there seems to be a divot in the plastic behind the felt to accommodate the ball.

The rubberized exterior is nicer than the equivalent 8700 holster.

My only gripe so far is that the clip has a tendency to grab the slot for the speaker as I'm trying to remove the phone. The leading edge of the clip is straight, even though the top of the clip matches the curved top of the phone. This straight edge does grab on to the opening for the speaker, but I'm sure I can get used to it.

Nice touch that the top of the clip has a slot that lines up with the speaker, so that you can hear the phone ring!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #65
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeiger View Post
By the way, can I use a rubber skin with this holster? The instructions say I can, but the website says "un-skinned."
This is my main hold-back before ordering since I'll be skinned about half the time
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #66
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzlefizzle View Post
This is my main hold-back before ordering since I'll be skinned about half the time
Seidio offers two types of holster for BB8800

Unskinned and skinned. If you have Seidio soft skin case or Seidio rubberized hard case or crystal (clear) hard case, then you need the skin holster. If you have a naked BB8800, then you need unskinned holster.

Unskin holster

RUBBERIZED SPRING CLIP SWIVEL HOLSTER FOR UN-SKINNED BLACKBERRY 8800 - HLBB8800AS

Skin holster

CRYSTAL / RUBBERIZED / SKIN CASE HOLSTER FOR 8800 - HLBB8800ASC

Seidio

Last edited by seidioseidio; 04-13-2007 at 08:54 AM..
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #67
pctower

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I have had mine (unskinned version) for two days and love it. An additional advantage not mentioned so far is that the case is so compact and light that it and the 8800 easily fit into my pockets (pants-not shirts) when I don't want to wear it on my belt.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #68
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
Seidio offers two types of holster for BB8800

Unskinned and skinned. If you have Seidio soft skin case or Seidio rubberized hard case or crystal (clear) hard case, then you need the skin holster. If you have a naked BB8800, then you need unskinned holster.
Seidio, thanks for the reply, but that is what I already knew. I know you'd like to sell 2, but I won't buy 2, nor do I want to manage 2. I've heard some people say that a naked one is fine in the skinned holster, and vice versa, but I'm weary of it.

So, does the OEM skin on an 8800 fit in the unskinned holster? I'm assuming not, but I'd really appreciate that specific combo being address.

What about some of the full-body clear skins like Best Skins Ever of BodyGuardz? Those are much thinner than the silicone skins, so which holster would be appropriate for that application?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #69
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just ordered the combo. I have the OEM skin, and am not loving the floppiness. Looking forward to the Seidio solution!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #70
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Bought the skinned combo (skin + holster) and love it. The skin is not the "sticky" type that collects lints and particles. Highly recommended.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #71
ninja95
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
Carrier: T-Mobile

Got mine today and I love it. Just what the new 8800 needed...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #72
seidioseidio

Some of members question the purpose of the speaker opening at the top clip - to prevent BB8800 being muffled while it is in the holster

Seidio
Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #73
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT Wireless

Quote:
Some of members question the purpose of the speaker opening at the top clip - to prevent BB8800 being muffled while it is in the holster

Seidio
Seidio:
Mine did NOT come with the speaker opening which was a big disappointment.
I can tell the difference with out it.

I have sent an email to customer service asking them to advance replace the holster and would be appreciative if you could expedite this for me. Order # 92788.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #74
bdizzlefizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got the rubberized shell case and the holster. They're both awesome. However, I didn't like the 8800...if you're interested, the case and holster are up for sale

My for sale post

Last edited by bdizzlefizzle; 05-17-2007 at 05:10 PM..
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #75
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I've been using my Seido case (with no skin) for almost two weeks. I really like it and it almost emulates the ease of the standard clip that comes with the 8703.

One gripe.... I noticed this morning that there are two black marks on my 8830 on the backside near the speaker. Seems to be a result of the clip resting there. I haven't been able to rub it off, in fact it seems to have rubbed off the silver finish. Again, these are pretty small marks but still noticeable and I wonder if they will get bigger over time.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #76
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledatageek View Post
I've been using my Seido case (with no skin) for almost two weeks. I really like it and it almost emulates the ease of the standard clip that comes with the 8703.

One gripe.... I noticed this morning that there are two black marks on my 8830 on the backside near the speaker. Seems to be a result of the clip resting there. I haven't been able to rub it off, in fact it seems to have rubbed off the silver finish. Again, these are pretty small marks but still noticeable and I wonder if they will get bigger over time.
Don't mean to bump my own post, but I have noticed that the Seido folks appear to answer many posts here. This one may have fallen under the radar screen for them.

I think we need to get an answer on this, not only for us (three users) but also anyone contemplating purchasing one of these.

Thx.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #77
bppilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

I purchased this hoster for my 8830 that I got more than 2 weeks ago. This is a terrific holster! Lightweight, functional, attractive, good strong hold... Definitely would recommend it to others!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #78
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledatageek View Post

You shouldn't get any marks on the device while the unit is resting. The only time we've seen marks on phones is when the device is "pushed" into the holster as opposed to lifting the clip first. Can you take some pics and send them to me at [email address]?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #79
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

I have an 8830 and received the case, swivel clip, and screen protector. I am very pleased. As for reliability, time will tell. The screen protector rocks.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #80
Teledatageek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You shouldn't get any marks on the device while the unit is resting. The only time we've seen marks on phones is when the device is "pushed" into the holster as opposed to lifting the clip first. Can you take some pics and send them to me at [email address]?

Thanks
Just e-mailed you a pic although it doesn't show all that well.... I (and the others at our company) do "push" the phone in as opposed to the more cumbersome lifting of the clip first.

Are we not supposed to have to life the clip first? Is there another solution that allows for "pushing" the phone in place? Pushing emulates that action of putting an 8700 in the stock holster a little more....
Closed Thread