BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
asutton23

Model: 7130e
Default Email Push vs. Pull

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 7130e. I set it up so that my POP3 email gets pushed to my BB. This is nice when I am out of my home office, but when I am in my office I don't want the emails pushed to my phone since I am getting them directly to my PC. I am not talking about the Redirector either, mostly I don't connect my BB to my PC anyway.

I have searched and cannot find a good answer on how to stop getting emails to my phone.

I have tried the following.
1. Phone settings
2. Filters (I thought this was going to be the answer as I can set up a filter that basically says not to send email to my phone, but I can't (verizon only?) get to my filters through the browser on the BB, so if I forget to turn the filter off before I leave home, I am SOL).

I'm ok with hearing that there is no real way to stop it on the fly straight from the phone, but I want to be done thinking about it either way. I can't believe someone hasn't already answered this many times over, but searching everywhere using email, push, pull, and assorted other words and phrases hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Anyone??

***Sorry, I just looked at the title and it really doesn't make sense to where I ultimately went with this post***
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Well, thanks for searching first, but your question has been answered a few times on the board.

Still, you can't "turn off" e-mail temporarily as you describe, except the work around with the filter deal (which to me seem much more of a hassle than just selecting those e-mails on your BB and hitting delete, etc.).

Option as I have read/understand:

1- Turn off your wireless completely, lose phone usage as well. Not good.
2- Set filters as described elsewhere. Jump up and leave the office without turning your filters off, yes your are screwed.
3- Delete delete delete. Even easier if you learn to select multiple e-mails and delete at once.

If there are other options, someone will certainly correct me.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

You can use the Opera Mini browser to go to sprint.blackberry.com (or whatever you carrier's BIS site is). It's not pretty, but this will give you the full interface, including the ability to configure filters.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
allenlikewo

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

OK!
first off it seems "push" & "pull" have become quite the buzz words that people throw around diffrently so im not sure what your setup is right now.

...If you set it up by intergrating a POP account into BIS by entering uname/pword (or possibly all POP credentials) then the solution is very easy one

1: change the outlook setting NOT to leave a copy of the message on server (tools > email accounts > choose account > more setttings > advanced > look at bottom (assuming '03))
2: schedule outlook to do a send/recieve on a time increment that is < 15 min, (dont have outlook but from memory i think tools > options > email > delivery options or something like that, poke around you can find it), shorter time is better depending on your resources
3: close outlook before leaving!!! so that email will start getting left on the server again

doing this will mean that there is rarely ever email on your POP server (durring the times you are at work), and when BIS looks for new mail, none will be there. Some may slip through from time to time but it will be less frequent.

...if by push you mean, email is getting forwarded from your pop server to carrier.blackberry.net address then the above solution is not applicable. you can turn off fowarding when you are at work and back on before you leave (or the filters thing, either way probably take similar amount of time).
However, if this is the type of solution you are using, this is simply an inconvience you will have to live with.
if you dont mind waiting 'up to 15 mins' to get email on your BB, then consider switching to the above solution

that is my $.02

good luck dude!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
BEVINCO - BC Interior
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

I am able to connect to the bis in one of two ways.
Navigate there from the browser, or hit the email settings icon on your device. Once I am logged into the bis, there is a setting for forwarding to device.

This works for me when I have not changed it from the office.

I leave my outlook settings to keep messages on the server for 3 days.

ps Yet another way is to use the firewall settings to block BB Internet service. The downside to this may be that it counts against your data since it is actually received.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
asutton23

Thanks for all the answers. My outlook grabs email every 5 minutes and I don't leave copies on the server. The funny part is that I turn off my BB at night, and in the morning I will sign into my PC and get all my email (read "spam"). Then I turn on the BB and I still get all the same messages. Since I didn't change any settings on my email at a server or PC level I can only guess that the emails are pulled on the net through the BB email and then sit there and wait for me to turn my BB back on??

Either way, it is very simple to delete the messages, and that is what I do. Being a newb with the BB, I havn't received my first Verizon bill. So, I don't know if all these emails are going to take a big chunk out of my alloted MB usage or not.

I guess I will find out soon.

Again, thanks for the posts, I appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
allenlikewo

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

yes that is exactly what is happening.
BIS will retrieve email from your POP server even in your device is off.
The BIS dosent really care if your device is off or not, ass it makes no diffrence in this part of the equasion

to extend the work around
you could follow BEVINCO - BC Interior's advise and turn on the firewall and check the BIS box before turning it off at night, that way once you turn it on in the morning it will block the incomming email. Then turn the firewall settings back off when you are ready to start getting email again.

Never tried this sort of thing before, but I dont see why it woulndt work.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
asutton23

Closing update. By upping my automatic send and receive on Outlook to every 2 minutes, I've basically cut the email to my BB by 90% while my computer is on. Obviously, this only works if you are deleting the email off the Pop3 server when you are pulling to Outlook.
When I turn my computer off, I get all the email on my BB. That's ok, it's easy to delete. And when I travel I want it all to go to my BB anyway and I don't have to remember to do something before I leave in order to make it happen.

All in all, not perfect, but really no big deal. Thanks everyone for the posts.
Closed Thread