BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Let's Compile a List: Why BB is Better Than Anything Else!

Please Login to Remove!

I've been a BB user for over three years. I chose BB after doing a lot of research, and I wouldn't bother using any other type of handheld device. I swear by BlackBerry!

I've often gotten involved in discussions with other mobile device users as to why the BB is better than any other type of mobile phone/PDA. I'm also often asked what sort of mobile handheld device a person should purchase, and I proceed to give them a rundown of the traits I believe make BB superior to any other device available. I know my reasons, but I have been wondering what other BB users would say that supports my assertion that "BB is BEST."

I usually tell people: "BlackBerries are true TOOLs. The rest are just toys."

So......

How about sharing your own reasons why YOU think BB is Best? Your reasons should be based on quantifiable, OBJECTIVE traits and features that relate to efficient operation. Opinions on things such as "I like the colors on the screen" may be valid to an individual, but that's a subjective opinion with which another person may not concur. But, things like "BB has it's own network for processing data that makes it more reliable/efficient/secure" is a definite objective fact. Things like "BBs generally have superior battery life" would be definite points of interest.

I think if BB users contributed to this list, I'd suggest that this compilation be posted in the forum archives so that users could refer potential BB users to it. I'd even go so far as to print hard copies of such a list and give them to people who were considering a BB. I'd like to eventually compile this list after gleaning it from the responses.

My biggest reason for choosing BB is: "BB has its own proprietary system for handling data, and as a result, send/receives e-mail more efficiently and safely than any other type of device." (Note: I am under the impression that this is so, but if I'm wrong...please correct me!) I also believe BB does, indeed, have superior battery life versus other handheld devices. There are many, many other reasons why BBs are best.

"Friends don't let friends use iPhones."

Let's see what you have to say.............

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Objective traits help to define what's better or worse. But I think in the end, it's all about the user's subjective/relative experience with the device. It's like comparing two powerful cars of different horsepower, numbers and specs alone can't say it all because there's the driver's impression and driving dynamics that need to be considered. The same can be said with smartphones.

I see BlackBerries as an electronic swiss army knife for the working person. That person can be someone who works in an office, who owns their own business, a parent, a student, it doesn't matter. It's made to be used to help us manage our busy lives and schedules. While BlackBerries in general are less "flashy" than other smartphones out on the market, I do love their intuitive designs, be it on the hardware or the user interface.

No matter how you look at it, the final decision boils down to one's needs. Having cute fun apps is nice, but in a day-to-day situation, I need a solid product that provides me with the necessary essentials: phone, address book, calendar, email, etc. in a reliable package.

Last edited by Trimix; 02-20-2009 at 12:30 AM..
Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
pantheon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Turkcell

I don't have to pay for OS update (for now)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
fiestito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ice

I would say the blackberry OS its one of the things that I prefer among other phones.
I love the way you can manage the software that your phone runs, I mean that you can remove must of the things that aren't necessary for the device, and the way you interact with the phone and the pc through the miniUSB port (for charging and transferring data at the same time), Its so easy to install or remove new apps or perform an OS upgrade.
Also Im a GNU/Linux user, and with the lack of support RIM has for the linux platforms, its amazing how well you can handle the device with a Linux OS, like charging, moving data, and loading music.
I'm really happy with the blackberry user community, this forum its a great source of info, and thats an important key if you want to get the best of your device no matter what kind you have.

Last edited by fiestito; 02-20-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
zocster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

i started with the 7105T and then I moved to a winmo, then toyed with Nokia, then back to BB 8110 again. I guess the whole thing about BB just simply works, all the apps that are avail for social media, twitter, facebook, etc, and I get my emails pushed, I can view docs on my BB easily and it is just a mobile office. I listen to music at work on my 8110, 6 out of the 8 hours that I work, and I still have some charge left! Compared to my old winmo, just drains it out, not to mention browsing and switching between apps is a breeze, you don't have to close down an app to switch to another, it's a plus, where on an older winmo you will just simply run out of RAM.

What can I say, BB Rocks my world!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
krzyfrog

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I have to chime in on the battery. I have been listening to audio books all day. from around 11. its now 7 my time. Still at 60%. This is with calls, text and email. I am using my wired headphones. Ive owned winmo and not a single one would still have a charge left with this kinda use. On another note, reliability and ease of use. I dont have to worry about soft reseting my phone every other day. It just happily keeps working. Blackberrys are just easy to use. They take next to no time to learn the main functions. Setup is another item. I work as a tech in a Sprint store. I came from Tier 2 support. I cant say how many times ive had to walk someone through re setting up email on a new palm or winmo device. Blackberry.......not a issue. Worst case i have to go in and activate the user acct under the new PIN. SOOO much easier.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheon View Post
I don't have to pay for OS update (for now)
What other platforms make you pay for mobile OS updates?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
tingcrab

Model: 8900
Carrier: CMCC Peoples

Why BB is better than anything else?

1. balls
Because it's got BALLS on recent BBs especially Curve & Bold!

The Trackball is mandatory for web browsing when no touchscreen applied.
That's the main reason why I pick my bb instead of E71.

Also in the menu, using the trackball to roll is actually more accuate than using a touch screen.
Thus, one hand operation can be achived when you're walking, standing on a crowded subway/tube...

Bottomline: Anyone agree balls is everything?

2. Professional OS
Unlike WM, the bb OS is handly, quick, no hassle, and no maintenance required. Yet it still have variety of tools and sort of "meters/monitors" for IT (which means yourself) in order to do diagnostics when facing technicial difficulities.

Bottomline: None of the other mobile OS has build-in PING tool.

3. Keyboard Input
Well, I still decide to put this in even keyboard is sort of get use to it when facing all different kind of device. You would normally typing faster as long as you practice with the device.

Still, I think the bb has a good physical keyboard design, and the special keys as well. It's not to type in between symbols, letters and numbers. And I am surprised as a Chinese, switching Chinese input locale is so simillar to the Windows (u can even have the option to set either Shift + Space or ALt + Enter to swtching English <--> Chinese).

Bottomline: Hold a letter for cap; double space means period; Alt + Shift as num lock...

Last edited by tingcrab; 03-06-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
cd5love96

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Livelink - Redirection

^^^ Because everyone can afford to be working on their phone for 1+ hours ^^^

It even says to contact RIM in case you get something that's not displayed in the table!

Last edited by cd5love96; 03-23-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Easy to use, push emails...
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david9962000 View Post
Actually the Blackberry is a bit more complex then other smart phones out there. There is a setting for everything and while that is good, some might find that overwhelming. If you are comparing ease of use, the iphone beats the BB hands down.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
datl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ORANGE

More thing : Perfect display.
I'm wondering how my BB screen so beautiful with only 65000 colors. Everything appear on BB Screen look very lively, crystal clear than almost other phones. That's why I love my BB so much.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

#1 reason is BB makes you more humble.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datl View Post
I'm wondering how my BB screen so beautiful with only 65000 colors. Everything appear on BB Screen look very lively, crystal clear than almost other phones. That's why I love my BB so much.
I agree with you on the Bold, Storm and Javelin. Older models, not so much.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #15
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

Quote:
Originally Posted by datl View Post
Because you got high resolution packed into a small screen. By dividing screen size with resolution, you got an idea of the pixel density. The difference between 65K color and 16.7 million colors isn't that much telling on a small display, but the difference between a 320x240 vs. 480x360 pixels on a 2.8 screen can be very telling.

I got an HTC Touch Diamond, which packs 640x480 pixels on a 2.8" display. Compare that to Apple's 480x320 pixels on a 3.5" display, and the Diamond's display comes out looking much sharper and more brilliant despite having 65K colors vs. 16.7 million on the Apple's.

All the recent BB phones, the Storm, the Bold, the 8900, the Pearl Flip, all have very high pixel densities that led to some of the most brilliant screens I've seen. They certainly make Nokias, LGs and Samsungs on the same shelf look dull. Only the recent HTCs like the Diamonds and Touch Pros are the ones that can match the brilliance and sharpness.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-05-2009 at 05:41 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Auto-text...

why I will forever be chained to RIM!

If only they could give me more space for Apps! @#$@#
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
David.Burke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Autotext
Profiles with ability to create exceptions
BB Messenger
Background applications which still run in sleep mode
Trackball
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
cpuking2009
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon wirless

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry storm 9530)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by david9962000 View Post
Actually the Blackberry is a bit more complex then other smart phones out there. There is a setting for everything and while that is good, some might find that overwhelming. If you are comparing ease of use, the iphone beats the BB hands down.
because the iphone like all macs is a smartphone for dummies. (mac being a wanna be OS for proprietary hardware)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuking2009 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry storm 9530)

because the iphone like all macs is a smartphone for dummies. (mac being a wanna be OS for proprietary hardware)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #20
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuking2009 View Post
I'm actually embarrassed for you.

(Actually, this whole thread is a bit embarrassing.)

Last edited by penguin3107; 04-17-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Closed Thread