BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Shuheb

Model: 9700
PIN: 2330E93D
Carrier: Vodafone
Exclamation Problems installing OS 6.0.0.344 on Bold 9700

Please Login to Remove!

I have a bold 9700 and I amd having trouble installing the OS 6 on it.

I followed these instructions:

1. Upgrade Desktop Manager and Backup – This will be the most important step in this entire guide, unless you are not worried about backing up your contacts, calender data, message, music, photos, tasks, memos and anything else you want saving.

If you already have Desktop Manager installed on your computer, check what version you are running by loading up the application (Windows Start menu > All Programs > BlackBerry > Desktop Manager), clicking help, then selecting About BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The version will be listed on the General tab. If you are not running version 6 of the software, click the Check for Updates link in the bottom right hand corner of the application, where it will then prompt you to download and install Desktop Manager version 6.

Once Desktop Manager 6 has been downloaded and installed, reload the application, plug in your 9700 and let the program register that the phone is connected. From here, you should see two options in the black toolbar at the top. Click Device > Back up… This will then take you through the step by step process of backing up your important data. Once this has been done, and you have made a note of where you saved your backup file, go back to DM (Desktop Manager) and backup your pictures, videos, and music if you wish by selecting the appropriate option under Media Sync, which is listed on the left hand side of the application.

All backed up now? Good, lets get moving.

2. Install OS 6.0.0.344 On Your Computer – Once you have downloaded OS 6 from wherever you downloaded it from (I will not be giving any links to the program), double click the .exe file and go through the steps. It’s fairly straight forward.

3. Installing OS 6 On Your BlackBerry Bold 9700 & Restoring Backup – Once step 2 has been completed, connect your phone via USB if you disconnected it after the backup process. If DM loads, check that it is connected. You should see an image of the device when it loads with an option telling you that an update is available for your 9700. Ignore this for now and close DM.

Now we need to locate the setup files that we installed in step 2. To do this, we go to: –

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

When inside this directory, either delete or rename the vendor.xml file to something else. I recommend that you delete it. If it is not there, don’t panic, then run loader.exe.

Follow the on screen instructions, but when going through, take a look at the different check marks to see what you want installed and what you don’t want installed. My recommendation would be to uncheck all applications that you downloaded such as Facebook, Twitter, Windows Live Messenger, Copter etc. We will manually redownload these after OS 6 has been installed.

When you get to the screen that asks you if you want to make a backup of your device and restore 3rd party applications, change the option to Do Not Restore. It should already be selected to do so, so make sure you change it.

Experience OS 6.0.0.344 – Let the updater go through the process and update your phone to OS 6. It should take up to 30mins for this to be completed. Once it has been completed, or near to doing so, you should notice that your BlackBerry has a slightly different loading screen, with the loading bar being at the bottom of the screen and an updated BlackBerry logo. The phone will then boot for the first time and take you through a video guide of the new features that come with OS 6. I almost skipped this, but if I did I would not have found out about 1 or two new features like the improved zoom, or the extra options that have been added. It will then prompt you to setup your 9700. If you wish to do this later, you can always come back to it. Play around with the menu’s for a while until you are satisfied that the installation went well and are having no issues. I recommend doing a battery pull afterwards, and letting it reboot to double check that there are now problems after the initial boot.

But all it does it delete my apps and reboot the phone again with the same OS which is 5.0.01 something.

Can someone tell me exactly how to install or if im going wrong somewhere

Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Problems installing OS 6.0.0.344 on Bold 9700

Make sure you delete all previous 9700 installations from your computer and then install OS 6. You can see what's in your installation folder by going to C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\shared\Loader Files.

Last edited by Howard S.; 01-27-2011 at 01:27 AM..
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

1 - are you positive you deleted VENDOR.XML from your PC C: drive
2 - do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your account?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Also make sure that the installations are cleaned up and it does not have the S-Keys in the windows installation.