Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #281
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20DD00AA
Carrier: Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

So I did it. BUT....
I upgraded to this one and it still says the OS from before.

I did exatcly as you said and I just don't get it..

Marley
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #282
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

So you only have .282 installed?
You have removed the vendor.xml file?
Did you use desktop manager - add/remove - upgrade?
or loader.exe in the apploader folder?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #283
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
So you only have .282 installed?
You have removed the vendor.xml file?
Did you use desktop manager - add/remove - upgrade?
or loader.exe in the apploader folder?
My phone is now
V.4.6.0.221 (Platform 4.0.0.186), I downloaded this above and installed it, and then deleted the Vendor.xml.
I used desktop manager and just did a standard upgrade, no deletion just went on with it.

Marley
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #284
Freakysalad

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT
Default Wifi Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopranosv View Post
Hi to All...just wondering:

1- Any WiFi issues???
2- Any multilanguage option??? I need English and Spanish spell check
Just that WiFi does not work unless Sim is installed, kinda of a bummer
Old 08-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #285
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
My phone is now
V.4.6.0.221 (Platform 4.0.0.186), I downloaded this above and installed it, and then deleted the Vendor.xml.
I used desktop manager and just did a standard upgrade, no deletion just went on with it.

Marley
Try using the loader.exe in the apploader folder.
It does a better job and might recognise it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #286
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

its done the trick.
How come thats better?

Marley
Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #287
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

The upgrade option in Desktop manager is basically the loader.exe file.
With only loader.exe file, it runs more smoothly than running desktop manager as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #288
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks midnight.
Question I have icons with green underline arrow in my downloads area, but all my apps work.
What is the best way to get rid of them?

Marley
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #289
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

erm ive no idea what you talking about.
could you post a pic?
or better yet just pm it to me.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #290
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

When using a today theme, the calender appointments are no longer showing up on the main screen. Is this a known issue?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #291
IanHummel

Also note, my calendar is still full and has all the entries, they just aren't showing up on the today theme.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #292
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Make sure the correct calendar is the default... go to OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / DEFAULT SERVICES / check CALENDAR (CICAL) entry... make sure it is the calendar that has your entries... and NOT FaceBook or any other calendar.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #293
IanHummel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Make sure the correct calendar is the default... go to OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / DEFAULT SERVICES / check CALENDAR (CICAL) entry... make sure it is the calendar that has your entries... and NOT FaceBook or any other calendar.
Yup, did all that. Even switched theme's and switched back, still no calendar entries on the today screen.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #294
IanHummel

Quick update. I was on a BES (which I'll get back on tomorrow morning). I added a new "test" appt. On the calendar and it came up on the home screen like normal. My calendar is currently set with Yahoo, however I don't have any yahoo appts. I'm assuming once I get back on my BES, everything will be back to normal? We'll see in the am I guess.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #295
IanHummel

Upon connecting back to the BES, calendar on the today screen is displayed again, problem solved. On another note, as far as the build goes here's what I've noticed:

2G only really makes a battery life difference
Application memory is HUGE now with the same amount of apps installed. Before, after a battery pull I had about 21 megs. Now I have 45! It over doubled!
Minimal memory leak, even when using and running in the background large memory programs such as Tweet Genius
Restart seems to take longer, and phone is horribly slow for 2-3 min after it starts back up. However, after that, its much faster than before.
Haven't dropped a call or had a call fail, however 2x I did get this horrid loud "electronic" type sound in the ear piece when the person on the other line was talking. turning off 3G fixed this. 3G is back on and I haven't heard it since.

My IT Dept this morning told me that various other pwoplw were reporting massive call drops yesterday, all across the country, so it may have been a result of AT&T's network. Who knows. Regardless, this new OS is the best I've used yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 AM   #296
DTKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel View Post
Upon connecting back to the BES, calendar on the today screen is displayed again, problem solved. On another note, as far as the build goes here's what I've noticed:

2G only really makes a battery life difference
Application memory is HUGE now with the same amount of apps installed. Before, after a battery pull I had about 21 megs. Now I have 45! It over doubled!
Minimal memory leak, even when using and running in the background large memory programs such as Tweet Genius
Restart seems to take longer, and phone is horribly slow for 2-3 min after it starts back up. However, after that, its much faster than before.
Haven't dropped a call or had a call fail, however 2x I did get this horrid loud "electronic" type sound in the ear piece when the person on the other line was talking. turning off 3G fixed this. 3G is back on and I haven't heard it since.

My IT Dept this morning told me that various other pwoplw were reporting massive call drops yesterday, all across the country, so it may have been a result of AT&T's network. Who knows. Regardless, this new OS is the best I've used yet.
My battery life on 3G network is less than half when the phone is switched to 2G only (I'm on AT&T in los Angeles) I checked with AT&T and at first they thought it could be degraded towers, but thats not the problem. I just hope that the next OS to be released addresses this situation because I dont always have access in court or out in the filed to a means to recharge every 4-6 hours. So i constantly have to switch to 2G just to preserve battery life.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #297
SmoothRunnings

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTKF View Post
My battery life on 3G network is less than half when the phone is switched to 2G only (I'm on AT&T in los Angeles) I checked with AT&T and at first they thought it could be degraded towers, but thats not the problem. I just hope that the next OS to be released addresses this situation because I dont always have access in court or out in the filed to a means to recharge every 4-6 hours. So i constantly have to switch to 2G just to preserve battery life.
I have a question for you, what are you using on your BOLD other than email and your phone? Do you use bluetooth or your mediaplayer everyday all day?

I generally don't use my bluetooth nor do I use my mediaplayer that much at all but when I have used one or the other or both I find even since day one the battery doesn't last long. So if you use bluetooth and can get away with using a set of head phones I found the iPhone head phones (stock ones you can buy at any carrier store) work the best compared to the crappy ones which RIM provides.

The other thing is if you have been using your BT and your mediaplayer a lot you could have waren down your battery that you might think about replacing it with a new one and fully charging it (using the wall plug) before using it.

I almost never use the PC anymore to charge my phone, yes I have BES, and just use the quick charger (wall plug) to charge the my device as the PC one takes forever over USB!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #298
DTKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
I have a question for you, what are you using on your BOLD other than email and your phone? Do you use bluetooth or your mediaplayer everyday all day?

I generally don't use my bluetooth nor do I use my mediaplayer that much at all but when I have used one or the other or both I find even since day one the battery doesn't last long. So if you use bluetooth and can get away with using a set of head phones I found the iPhone head phones (stock ones you can buy at any carrier store) work the best compared to the crappy ones which RIM provides.

The other thing is if you have been using your BT and your mediaplayer a lot you could have waren down your battery that you might think about replacing it with a new one and fully charging it (using the wall plug) before using it.

I almost never use the PC anymore to charge my phone, yes I have BES, and just use the quick charger (wall plug) to charge the my device as the PC one takes forever over USB!
Good questions, but the answer is NO to both. The issue revovles around battery drain on the 3G vs. 2G (EDGE) networks. Before upgrading to v4.6.0.282 (Platform 4.0.0.235) my phone ran for many hours on the 3G network without significant battery drain. Now, post upgrade, my battery, which has been tested as good (at the local AT&T store) only lasts for about 6 -8 hours, even without much use. The device keeps polling for 3g signal and the battery just drains down quickly.

When I switch the network connection to 2G only battery life is over double that when the network is on 3G. AT&T a while back said that because one of the 3G towers in my area was down that could affect it, but the tower has since been fixed and the problem still exist. Add to that the fact that this never happened before the upgrade, and there is good cause to believe there is an issue with the upgrade and not the phone itself, but what do I know, I just use the phones, not design or program them
Closed Thread