BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
dizzler

Model: 8703e

Please Login to Remove!

this bothered me at first as well, but i think their reasoning behind it is that the ball being on the front of the device is much easier to hit (accidentaly while in a pouch, case or pocket) than the wheel was on the side. as well, the ball being raised higher than the other buttons would make this easier to hit than the actual "unlock keys". I wouldn't be suprised if this is something that RIM tested before releasing the 8100.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #22
griffjnr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800f
Carrier: Orange UK

I agree with Jibi and want RIM to change the OS so I can unlock my phone using the trackball. It's a bit disappointing that they didn't include it when they released the phone. I have never accidentally unlocked my phone before with the unlock method either.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
arjunrc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800c
Carrier: cingular

Another vote to re-instate the trackball based unlock like it was in the sidewheel models.

I posted a thread [here] and was pointed to this thread.

I am on the road very often and like to be able to unlock the BB without having to look at it. This is easy with the trackball, but if I need to use two different keys to unlock, then I need to see the phone, not to mention the extra hand effort
Old 03-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #24
Ironman1075
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: 9800-AT&T, iPhone 4

I'm not sure if one of you can help me; I tried using the search bottom but couldn't find an answer. I have a Pearl and for the last few days the battery is being drained because the stand by mode is not working. I have the backlight setup to 45 sec., if I press the mute button it goes into standby mode for 3 seconds and then it comes back to the home screen. This started to happen after I installed some of the themes I found in this forum and I deleted them and I'm using the T-Mo Zen theme at this time.

BB Storm, Curve 8310, iPhone 3G
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
MMB916
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Question I completely agree - AWFUL!!

Jibi, I completely agree with you - I notice the dates on this thread are from awhile ago but I just upgraded my 8700 to OS 4.2 - I have to say this feature DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!! I'm going to try the solution of the mute button but frankly, for unlocking the device this was the most logical way to do it. It is beyond my control why they removed that feature and ONLY left us with the key sequence. Truly absurd & frustrating! So it looks like nothing will change and this will stay as is?? Any ideas now that some times has passed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
I'm going to start up this thread in the attempt to have a feature of OS 4.2 changed. For those that do not have a password enabled on your device, the only way to unlock it would be to press the * + [call] key combination. While that is all fine and dandy, in previous versions of the RIM OS dating back to atleast 3.6 (possibly earlier, but I didn't deal with it prior to that release), if the device was locked, you could select 'Unlock' from the lock menu and it would actually unlock the device.

RIM's reasoning behind this feature change is that people could possibly unlock the device by accident. I don't believe I've honestly ever unlocked the device by accident in the past, and I'm honestly not sure of anyone else who has done so, either. They suggest that the feature won't change, which is where we come in.

As mentioned, I don't see the point in selecting Unlock from the menu and it not unlocking the device. It's rather misleading, to be honest. If you have a password enabled, selecting Unlock from the menu prompts for your password then unlocks the device. Why not the same for those of us who don't have a password enabled?

If you haven't noticed this yet, lock your device and then move your trackball around or press a key. I'm one for clean design of an OS, and for me, not doing something when you expect it to do so is a negative experience (you'd think I would have learned my lesson after all of these failed relationships, eh?).

Ultimately, I want the feature from OS 4.1 and prior to be reinstated. Thoughts? If this doesn't pick up any steam, I'll just delete the thread, but from a previous thread, there are more people out there who feel the same.

For those users who aren't using a Pearl currently, this will be a feature of OS 4.2 for your device (8700 users in the next month or three, those planning to purchase an 8800 in the same time frame, etc).

Free Blackberry Ring Tones
Free Blackberry Ring Tones Forum
Old 04-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
MMB916
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Question Solution for 8700....

Is the standby mode on the Pearl an answer for the 8700? It doesn't seem to be doing the trick?

Thanks in advance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I'm using the mute button to send the Pearl to "stand by" mode.

To me this is superior to the lock function anyway.

First, the screen doesn't light up when a key or the trackball are moved (saving battery) and secondly no risk of making an emergency call by mistake.

So what are the advantages of the lock function which make people so keen to get it working to their desired specification?

Daniel

Free Blackberry Ring Tones
Free Blackberry Ring Tones Forum
Old 04-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #27
dmokeler

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrien118 View Post
Yeah, I upgraded from a 7100 to the 8100 and I couldn't quite figure out why 'Unlock' didn't unlock the phone.

Also, I would like to see an automatic keyguard, like if you're at the home screen for more than a minute without activity it locks the device. Nokia has had this for a long time and it would prevent my pocket from calling my boss (mid Saturday along with a 5 minute long message) or my fiance's parents (from a bar at midnight on a thursday night). Is there a patent on this feature or something?

--mobrien

You can have the Pearl automatically lock when putting it into a holster. Not sure if that would work with putting it in your pocket or not though.

Dave
Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #28
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T

I'm with you, Jibi. No point in having the menu option if it doesn't do anything. That's irked me since I got the 8100.

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #29
asnpcwiz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hmmmm...just installed 4.2 on my phone and am having this problem. Is there a fix for this yet? This doesn't make any sense..."unlock" using the wheel should UNLOCK the phone!!!
Closed Thread