Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
foxteam

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Movistar
Default about the GPS on the 8900????

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, im wriiting to the forum because I wish to know how the GPS of this BB works. Im from Chile and im planning a trip to Europe and I like to know if the GPS on the BB 8900 will work over there. I don´t know if the GPS on this phone works like a normal GPS receptor or it has to by working in the country for obtain the cell company service like Edge or something like that or I can grab the phone and take it everywhere and use the GPS navigation system without having the coverage of the cell company.

Hope you can help me on this and thanks.

My best wishes from Chile
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
rurapente

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodacom SA

as far as i know, its getting the map data in real-time from servers. I dont think there's a way to pull the maps onto storage.

The good thing about this is you probably will get full mapping everywhere in the world. The downside being youre going to use data to get it. Maybe buy a local sim card and put some money on it and use it to download maps locally from within the country you are going to.

Just make sure the BB maps arent somehow tied to your location. Maybe as a safe option install Google Maps incase the BB ones dont allow you to view another country due to subscription/network politics.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

What map application are you using? Most of the available map programs require a BB data plan and download the map sections as you move and need them. They cannot be stored on the device or SD card. GPS should work world wide. It is the map application that needs to have the map data for that part of the world (most do I think).

Look in the GPS and Maps section for a sticky at the top which has a review of most of the map apps for the BB. Read through that and also look at the posts in the section. There are a couple free ones and some you need to purchase that will download to the SD card. I use GoogleMaps so I cannot vouch for any others. They all have pros and cons and issues.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxteam View Post
Hi, im wriiting to the forum because I wish to know how the GPS of this BB works.
Depends a bit on the app you choose.
Closed Thread