Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Please Login to Remove!

knottyrope,
But, isn't this just the opposite, what I experienced ?

I really don't care about what's right or wrong, as long, as my licendses are valid.

I got my server as a download from RIM, it was called "blackberry express" and, it was free with one CAL included.
These Cals are still seen as ok, and, of type enterprise in the license manager of the current BES 5.0 Enterprise.

?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
wreedLBZ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I am having the same issue.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
knottyrope,
But, isn't this just the opposite, what I experienced ?

I really don't care about what's right or wrong, as long, as my licendses are valid.

I got my server as a download from RIM, it was called "blackberry express" and, it was free with one CAL included.
These Cals are still seen as ok, and, of type enterprise in the license manager of the current BES 5.0 Enterprise.

?
Looks like you did the 2800.00 upgrade bit like me which does convert the CALs.(paid or T support) I have knot upgraded to 5.0 yet but did play with trial for a lil bit.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #24
MedEdGuy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Thumbs down

Seem to be having the same issue here. We have had BES SBE edition for some time now, and with our Tsupport, upgrades should be included. As far as I'm aware, the only difference between the "full" edition and the SBE edition is the limit to the number of users. Updates should not be crippled.

Now, BPS is of course a different animal. A few years ago they offered us an "upgrade" to BPS from SBE, which of course as anyone can see is more DOWNgrade rather than an upgrade. And, it seems that BPS is pretty much being discontinued since they have even released a version with HTML rendering yet! No updates in a LONG time.....
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #25
voda_black
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Vodafone

It seems RIM is "forcing" SBE people to bite the upgrade key price. I for one will be sticking to 5.0 at the moment and upgrading to MR4....
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #26
voda_black

Carrier: Vodafone

What would happen if you did the following? - would it work?:

Stop the BlackBerry services
Backup your databases
delete your SMB license keys
upgrade to 5.0.1 (I presume it would ask for your license keys - and if you input an SMB license key - it will not work?) - if this is the case - what if you input a standard Enterprise license?

Dont think this will work - but thought I might check with the experts?

As for licensing, I am told that if I have an Enterprise license key, I am allowed to upgrade to 5.0.1 as I am a T-Support subscriber and can therefore access free upgrades.....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #27
freakinvibe

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

When upgradeing it will ask you for a licence key. If you have SMB keys in the system already it will ask you for a trade-up key, if not, you have to provide an Enterprise license key.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
bigwillokc

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I am having a similar but different issue. I was asked for upgrade key and installed 5.0.1. I now have the trade up key (that came with 5 cals) as well as 3 5-packs of SMB keys for a grand total of 20 CALs. My server shows Enterprise as the type, but I just ordered 2 more 5 packs of BES cals and when I try to input them I get "existing license permits maximum of 15 users". I can add remove the keys in any order, but it will never let me go past 20 and will always give me that message about maximum of 15 keys allowed.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
nobody7290

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

If it is correct, what knottyrope said a few posts before,
( http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ml#post1525183 )
exisiting license keys will be converted to Enterprise CALs (or maybe: the Server accepts SMB CALs until the maximum of CALs of this type is reached :15), all other CALs must be of type enterprise.

Then you have to try to exchange these CALs for enterprise CALs
Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #30
xsouthwindsx

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Yea, so I am wondering how Blackberry is not violating their contract with businesses? When you sign a support contract it states you get free upgrades, MR's and Service packs with support.

Now I know we can split hairs and say that SP1 is strictly for ENTERPRISE
v5.0 and not SBE 5.0 but I spoke with a BB rep (we have a t-support contract) and they are not planning on releasing any Service Packs for the SBE server.

On top of that she stated that she "could not see the ability of current SBE users to upgrade past v5.0 to a future release with how they implemented SP1" but she cannot be for sure.

So...how are they not violating my support contract that includes free service packs, MR's and new releases? It's fine if they want to get rid of SBE but I still have a contract saying I get service packs and MR's, they need to honor that until the SBE contracts run out.

I smell a lawsuit for violating a written contract......

Screw this, I am switching over to Microsoft's activesync. We own Exchange 2010 and it comes with it anyway....I am not giving another dime to RIM. They don't admit when their service goes down, they don't tell their customers they plan on phasing out SBE so we can plan accordingly......bad, bad customer service.

Last edited by xsouthwindsx; 02-04-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
xsouthwindsx

Update: Ok so here is the deal, a sales rep called me back and here is what happened:

SBE users were NOT SUPPOSED to go past version 4.1.6 of Blackberry Enterprise server but a "glitch" happened and it allowed us (SBE users) to upgrade to v5.0. The sales guy admitted that they are phasing out SBE and that's why they are offering a "free trade-up key" until Feb 28th if you upgrade your support contract to ADVANTAGE level or higher.

However...."unofficially" he told us to "wait a month" because RIM "might" be coming out with a replacement for SBE.

So RIM is hoping you will pay the extra cash for Enterprise and if not within a month they will have a replacement for SBE. I would hold out and not give RIM any more money after how they have treated us. Just my 2c if the sales guy is correct.

Last edited by xsouthwindsx; 02-04-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #32
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

However...."unofficially" he told us to "wait a month" because RIM "might" be coming out with a replacement for SBE.

Been hearing that for almost a year now.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #33
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

I don't have a BPS but just observe from the sides. The whole saga is clearly about the installer software does not recognize a SBE BES 4.1.6 and allow the installation to pass and upgraded to 5.0. It's either the software developers did not understand the business implications while rolling it out. Or it's the software testing people that were sleeping.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
nschmidt

Model: 9100
Carrier: AT&T

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't hold your breath for the SBE edition replacement in the immediate future. The current promotion is probably the best option for most people who are looking to make the change to 5.0 or to go beyond the 15/30 limits on SBE and Pro. The $1,499 cost of the trade-up key also includes 5 additional CAL's, so that helps in justifying the upgrade as well.

These are the options you have to take advantage of the promotion:
1. Purchase a new T-Support Advantage plan.
2. Upgrade an existing T-Support plan to advantage. Technically what you do is start a new plan, and then RIM reimburses you the prorated amount left on your old contract.
3. Utilize an existing Advantage support plan.

Official Details:
Until February 28, 2010 all current BlackBerry® Professional Software or Small Business Edition BlackBerry® Enterprise Server customers qualify for a free BlackBerry Enterprise Server trade-up key with the purchase of the Advantage Level Technical Support. Once you become a registered subscriber you will be able to upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0 as a benefit of the program.

Hopefully this is of some help to people. I'm familiar with this trade up option, and do quite a bit of work on enterprise licensing, so I'll try to help if you're struggling with licensing questions.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #35
xsouthwindsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmidt View Post
As others have mentioned, I wouldn't hold your breath for the SBE edition replacement in the immediate future. The current promotion is probably the best option for most people who are looking to make the change to 5.0 or to go beyond the 15/30 limits on SBE and Pro. The $1,499 cost of the trade-up key also includes 5 additional CAL's, so that helps in justifying the upgrade as well.

These are the options you have to take advantage of the promotion:
1. Purchase a new T-Support Advantage plan.
2. Upgrade an existing T-Support plan to advantage. Technically what you do is start a new plan, and then RIM reimburses you the prorated amount left on your old contract.
3. Utilize an existing Advantage support plan.

Official Details:
Until February 28, 2010 all current BlackBerry® Professional Software or Small Business Edition BlackBerry® Enterprise Server customers qualify for a free BlackBerry Enterprise Server trade-up key with the purchase of the Advantage Level Technical Support. Once you become a registered subscriber you will be able to upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0 as a benefit of the program.

Hopefully this is of some help to people. I'm familiar with this trade up option, and do quite a bit of work on enterprise licensing, so I'll try to help if you're struggling with licensing questions.
While I agree with you to a point the sales guy I spoke with is pretty reputable, I doubt he would mislead us.

HOWEVER, with that being said, you have until Feb 28th to buy the support plan, if no new information is leaked out about another SBE type product than go ahead and do the upgrade (support plan).

However, there is nothing pressing right now for my company to upgrade to SP1, we will stay on v5 and see what happens....or we might go to active sync. I hate to replace all our BB's but I also hate thinking I should give RIM more money if they cannot be straight with their end users.

I am a Capitalist and I understand the need for making a buck but you also have to be honest which I feel RIM has fallen short of so I see no reason to buy their upgrade until I find out what they are doing.

I have 12 users on SBE, I am not upgrading to anything just for 12 users.
Closed Thread