BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #41
JoshB

Please Login to Remove!

Glad to hear it.

BTW, can anyone confirm that 1.70b is working on T-Mobile? I'm a little hesitant to move away from 1.66b, since it's working. Anyone know what the differences are? Any new features between the two versions?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:03 AM   #42
aard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB
BTW, can anyone confirm that 1.70b is working on T-Mobile?
i just tried 1.70b with no success (takes forever at the scrolling bar screen and then gives an error). anything having to do with wap.voicestream.com seems to give me this error (midpssh, verichat): malformed address, returning null connection. this sounds to me like a dns resolution error? i have the wap.voicestream address in my tcp configuration but i've left login and password blank, is that correct? i'm assuming this just means that my blackberry and/or area (miami) is still blocked? (this, of course, makes no sense because this version of verichat is supposed to work specifically on non-bes/mds t-mobile)

EDIT: if i'm supposed to use my "t-mobile login and password" in the tcp configuration screen, where exactly am i getting those? i'm assuming it has nothing to do with my blackberry e-mail configuration.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #43
JoshB

You should always leave login/password blank for anything associated with the wap.voicestream.com APN (or any T-Mobile APN, actually). So I don't think that's the problem.

You might try logging into the web interface, and re-sending all Service Books to your device. That might fix whatever configuration problem you might have.

What plan are you on? I'm assuming either the BWC or BES plans.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #44
aard

Quote:
You should always leave login/password blank for anything associated with the wap.voicestream.com APN (or any T-Mobile APN, actually). So I don't think that's the problem.
ok, there were notes in the massive apn document (here) that indicated otherwise.

will try re-sending the service books. i need to delete them first on the unit, yes?

Quote:
What plan are you on? I'm assuming either the BWC or BES plans.
i'm on the unlimited blackberry data plan with no minutes. i have access to two phones on the plan that includes minutes. i was waiting to make any account changes to see if ports got unblocked (i got the phone just after the port-blocking went into effect). if the ports aren't going to be unblocked (it still seems vague and uncertain to me) i'll probably go with a third-party bes provider.

(also, thanks for your response. if only t-mobile had you on their payroll! EDIT: i also agree with everything you said on your site about how poorly they handled this situation)
Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #45
aard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aard
will try re-sending the service books. i need to delete them first on the unit, yes?
tried this, still just get the scrolling bar as though it thinks it is signing on forever. :(
Old 01-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #46
JoshB

Hrm. You might try contacting [email address], to see if they can help you figure out why it's not working. It should be - at least, it is for me (1.66b, I have the BWC unlimited add on).

You don't need to delete service books on your device before resending them.

Thanks for the kind words about my site - I've been trying to chronicle what's been going on with T-Mobile from the customer's perspective. Maybe one day they'll get it!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #47
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

JoshB,

Recent T-Mobile Change

I heard it is now necessary to enter your T-Mobile username and password in the Tools->TCP->APN nowadays. That got Verichat working for some 7100t users. APN should be "wap.voicestream.com". Blank username/password will not work anymore for new users as far as I know (unless you've got a non-BlackBerry data plan, i.e. double-paying T-Mobile, or such for BlackBerry data versus non-BlackBerry data).

Tools->TCP->APN
APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: <your T-Mobile account username>
Password: <your T-Mobile account password>

Important note: If your aftermarket networking software are already working, don't change your APN information.
Important note #2: Please do not send me a PM. Post a public message!

In addition, if you are not running a BES, you must use the non-BES version of Verichat 1.78 or later.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-01-2005, 03:23 AM   #48
JMF0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Just updates to TMO's 4.0 handheld software and VeriChat does not work anymore for me. Version 1.78 was working now does not....
Old 02-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #49
JMF0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Jeez I must be losing it....the update blanked out the APN address so no wonder it would not work....VeriChat does work under 4.0...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 AM   #50
aard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Username: <your T-Mobile account username>
thanks for clarifying this, mark.

now does anyone know what i can say to the tier 1 t-mobile support person if i call them (sigh) and try to obtain this information? they've changed their website so i can't even try to figure it out by iteration there anymore.

EDIT: i've tried two different accounts and i'm fairly certain of one of the login/password combinations. is there a chance that i'd still have to call t-mobile to get access to wap.voicestream.com? this is extraordinarily frustrating.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #51
betabob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Will this also fix the problem with not being able to use the 7100T as a modem?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #52
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

Does anyone know if your tmobile account username is just your phone number? When I go to longin online for billing info it doesn't give me an option for username anymore, which I think it used to..
Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #53
aard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
Does anyone know if your tmobile account username is just your phone number? When I go to longin online for billing info it doesn't give me an option for username anymore, which I think it used to..
i have tried using the phone number with the wap.voicestream.com apn and have had no success. i'm not positive that i have the right l/p but i am dreading the concept of trying to call t-mobile to ask them for this information.

does anyone know how to obtain it if you don't have it/have forgotten it?

EDIT: and yes, before their recent site modifications you could log in with the t-mobile login or the phone number
Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #54
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

Anyone able to get their userid? On the phone with tmobile, they are basically saying they cant figure it out. Plus they claim it won't help me anyway and that their policy has changed and ports will not be opened. Oh well...
Old 02-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #55
Krycek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I called T-Mobile today to see if I could find out anything concerning the port closures. Like many, I am one who would LOVE to get Verichat 1.78b working on T-Mobile without an MDS server...but have yet failed.

After getting escalated a few times because no one knew what I was talking about, I finally got to a Blackberry support guy. We spoke for a few minutes and he understood what I was talking about and verified that indeed T-Mobile is blocking ports. I asked him for a list of blocked ports and he said that no one, not even support @ T-Mobile gets that list. We continued chatting and he mentioned something which I hadn't see anywhere else, thus the point of this post.

He mentioned that due to billing changes that T-Mobile is currently working on implementing, they will be able to modify the port-blocking so it only blocks for a certain subset of subscribers, not everyone. He told me that T-Mobile thought it was "very important" to make sure the Blackberry line of phones had full access to the currently blocked ports to enable features such as using the 7100t as a modem. Bottom line, he said he expected the ports to be unblocked for subscribers with Blackberrys (and possibly others), "sooner rather than later." When I pushed him, he told me "possible within the next month."

Possibly a light at the end of the tunnel? I guess we will all find out...

Also, as far as the APN goes, he said it is now open and does not require a username and password. I cannot verify this is true...but it is what I was told.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #56
jfang

Carrier: Cingular

That is very promising news. I guess we'll have to see what happens in the next few months.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #57
septuagint

Model: 7290
Default t-mobile hanging in the balance

So any news on this?

Does next month mean February or march?

I'm emailing back and forth with T-mobile support, and he is supposed to give me a definitive answer as to the functionality being blocked on the blackberrys.

I switched my plan from the blackberry plan to the t-mobile internet plan and was able to use midpssh to get to my work servers using port 993. When I switched the plan back to the blackberry plan the settings were exactly what they needed to be to connect, but of course it didn't work. So I don't think the apn is open for blackberry users, because if it were wouldn't I be able to connect via midpssh, or is there another variable?

This sucks, I had more functionality with my rim 957 on cingular (email,ssh, hockey, rimmario :D), too bad my wife put it through the washer. I'm regretting the upgrade. Did I really need color and a built-in phone?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #58
aard

Default Re: t-mobile hanging in the balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by septuagint
Does next month mean February or march?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCool.com (found via [url=http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/
tinyscreenfuls.com[/url])]Changes are in the works and all T-Mobile BB users should have full internet access targeted for early Feb.
due to the fact that someone at t-mobile admitted this was an error, i'd like to believe that 'early feb' date. however there has been so much smoke-and-mirrors over this whole situation that i have my expectations set pretty low. t-mobile really isn't making any friends with this ordeal (well, maybe the other cellular companies that people are moving to are satisfied with the situation).
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #59
septuagint

Model: 7290
Default T-mobile grumble, grumble, grumble [fart noise]

Okay, here is the reply I received, doesn't look lovely, nor does it look like it will be in a month.

Here was my email to them:

----------------------------
Yes, so the solution would be on the tech side of things to allow the
blackberry service to use the APN that the T-mobile internet service uses.
This would allow the blackberry to use both the blackberry defautl apps and
any other apps that use an apn.

I know this can be done, it is simply a matter of whether you guys are going
to do it.

I heard it rumored on some discussion forums that T-mobile was going to allow
this in February of 2005.

I need a definitive answer from you, as this decides whether I stay a
T-mobile customer or not. Please respond so I know whether I need to send
back my phone and cancel my account.

I am using your service to see if our entire tech department will use
t-mobile or have to use someone else.

Then their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

You are correct that this is possible and can be done. However, with the current configurations the way they are (both in the Blackberry Service books and our billing system) this is impossible as it stands today. I can confirm that nearly everything in the post you provided is true. However, the list of ports blocked over each APN is not entirely a secret, however this information is not widely distributed as knowledge of blocked ports also implies knowledge of open ports and this could lead to exploitation. The key item to remember about the post is that the author stated that they "pushed" the rep and he gave an answer. I can confirm that we have heard rumor of the provisioning of additional access for Blackberry users, however the last email we received on the topic stated that this was "in the works" but at that time it was not known what form that access would become available. This email was distributed last year and we have yet to hear any updates to the plan.
A change in the current configurations would take a drastic reorganization of many of the items that affect your service. First, your current feature subscription would have to be updated in the billing system. This may mean that a new service or feature add-on may be required or the existing features modified. Next, the HLRs or network controllers would need to be updated with the new service provisioning. Then, the Blackberry service books must be modified and redistributed to all blackberry users. This alone takes time to plan and implement. This also doesn't take into account the time it will take to validate the updates and ensure that any changes made do not affect existing Blackberry services. Bottom line: The changes are coming, but we do not have an estimated release date. Marketing will, undoubtedly, make any release very public and possibly include a flier in your bill notifying every Blackberry subscriber of the release.
I hope this helps you make your decision.

If you have any other comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.

Will
Advanced Technical Care
T-Mobile USA

So it appears that there will be a change, but it doesn't sound like it is coming this month, or the next or the next. Perhaps when I'm harvesting corn from my vegetable garden I will be able to ssh into my servers.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #60
aard

as of yesterday both verichat and midpssh started working completely for me. no clue why, i changed nothing.
Closed Thread