BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
nopesos

Model: 8700c
Default 8700c working on T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I received my unlock code from Cingular today and placed my T-mobile SIM (new account) into it, here is my experience:

The phone recognized the SIM and registered on the T-Mobile network. I did not have to modify any settings and everything worked including the browser. When I went to the T-Mobile Blackberry Internet Service setup page it made me verify the PIN. I entered all of my email accounts and was instantly sent a message on my phone that the email accounts were active. On the home screen of the blackberry each email account was listed with corresponding numbers next to it showing how many emails were waiting. You just select the account from the home screen and you can compose an email from that account; it will send from that account. When you send a message IT APPEARS IN YOU SENT FILE ON YOUR LOCAL MACHINE. I actually have sent message from my BB showing in my Exchange account for work. I am not using the Desktop Redirector or BES.

I have been using the T-Mobile BB service for a while but purchased the Cingular service to get the 8700. I paid full list so I could get the unlock code and I am going to cancel the Cingular service because the Blackberry Internet Service does not compare to T-Mobile. Here are some points:

--I get emails on the TM service in an instant; Cing takes several minutes.
--TM sends a notification when you add an account; Cing does not and leaves you wondering.
--I can send email from multiple accounts with different sent addresses; Cing only allowed me to use one sent from address.
--My multiple inboxes show on the home screen; Cing does not.
--I have used my previous TM 7100 as a modem and never received a charge and the 8700 works as a modem at EDGE speeds so I do not foresee any tethering charges; could not get the 8700 to work as a modem on Cing
--TM BIS service is 59.99 with 1000 minutes and unlimited SMS; Cing was around 120 for the same services.

To be honest I have only used the Cingular service for about 10 days and was shocked at how their Blackberry Internet Service lack the features that T-Mobiles offered. The Edge service on the 8700 has worked just as well as Cingulars; maybe even better, I am in Phoenix. The 8700 rocks much better on T-Mobile especially with the enhanced BIS.

Does anyone know why there are differences between the 2 carriers blackberry internet services?

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Once thing I agree that I have tried both Cingular and T-Mo and I am much happier with T-Mo and it is NOT only because of their pricing but the support they provide to the t-mo customers.
I am sure there are some unhappy dude out here from T-mo too.
I tried everyything to convince Cing people that i was to keep my voice and data plan with them and do not want to go to T-mo but they are just so world class in being to the point that they could not do anything.

I don't know what is there that is stopping them from upgrading the BIS. because without the latest BIS I can not use my BB in the true sense.
Got 8700 from Cing and tested for a week and device in itself is worth but Cing will not help on anything.

Overall T-mo is much better than Cingular but I will not compare with others because I do not have any exp.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Hyper7PCR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

I read your forums about Cingular to T-Mobile use SIM. IS IT LEGAL?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
barjohn

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

To answer the last question first, it is legal as long as he paid full price for the device he should be entitled to use it anywhere and with any carrier. T-Mobile does offer better rates and better customer service in my experience; however, their coverage being limited to the 1900Mhz band is the problem. Thier coverage is very poor in many locations and they have been slow to offer in the U.S. what they offer over seas. In Europe their service and coverage is fantastic. You would sware you were on a land line. In the U.S there are huge holes in their coverage and with UMTS/HSDPA around the corner they are way behind. Cingular will be offering the new high speed service and Cingular will just begin to think about it. Unfortunately they see the U.S. as a cash cow and have not been willing to make the investment to be more competitive.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopesos
Does anyone know why there are differences between the 2 carriers blackberry internet services?
T-Mobile has upgraded their BIS. The other carriers have not for whatever reason. If you'll look in the various forums you'll see that it wasn't a smooth upgrade for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper7PCR
I read your forums about Cingular to T-Mobile use SIM. IS IT LEGAL?
Yes. It is the major points of using GSM technology -- being able to place you SIM in any GSM phone. The network locks were put in place by the carriers to restrict you from using other carriers after they have subsidized your phone (in addition to the ETF they charge you if you break contract). That's not to say that a carrier won't try to cite the DMCA or some other nonsense.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 AM   #6
shfawaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

So can you please share where you called or purchased your 8700 from, what you told them to get a full price 8700c, (how much IS a full priced 8700c?) and don't you expect Cingular to require you to return the 8700c once you cancel the account? How or who did you contact to get the unlock code? I know in the past that Cingular would not cancel a new account for me until they verified I had returned the Treo 650 I ordered when I opened a new account. Granted I didn't pay full price for it, they nonetheless wouldn't even disable the account till they verified that the Treo was in received in thier return center. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
alann

Model: 8800

I plan on picking one up tomorrow. I had tmo bb 7730 before and email comes within seconds, several min for cingular?! is this always the case? I'm on a Treo 650 from cingular and wish to do the conversion but email pushed to the device in several min seems kind of a turn off for a "push" device.

Last edited by alann; 12-03-2005 at 05:39 AM..
Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

nopesos,
I got an 8700c through the launch event and am a TMo sub. I don't suppose Cingular will unlock mine for me I may use gsmlocker and have them do it...

TM
Old 12-03-2005, 10:04 AM   #9
nopesos

Model: 8700c

I called 1-800-335-4685 for the unlock process. I just purchased the phone from the general number and indicated I did not want to be locked into a contract. When they sent me the welcome packet the legal print indicated that if I did not activate, or cancelled the service without returning the phone I would be charged full retail. Nothing illegal if you read the fine print and do not accept any subsidies. In fairness to Cingular, I tried their service with the intention of keeping it but was not happy with the limited non-BES BB service.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

So the real battle is Cingular has an inferior BIS while T-M lacks the 850 spectrum. I found not have the spectrum to be a real limitation. We should find out what Cingulars plans to upgrade are?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

So the real battle is Cingular has an inferior BIS while T-M lacks the 850 spectrum. I found not have the spectrum to be a real limitation. We should find out what Cingulars plans to upgrade are?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

so u dont need the blackberry desktop manager and bb handheld manager software anymore when ur running on T-MO network cause its right on the BB?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

can you scrape off the cingular logo on the bb?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
helfy

Model: 8830
PIN: 32b073ac
Carrier: vzw
Default what DOESN"T 8700 do on T-mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopesos
I received my unlock code from Cingular today and placed my T-mobile SIM (new account) into it, here is my experience:

The phone recognized the SIM and registered on the T-Mobile network. I did not have to modify any settings and everything worked including the browser. When I went to the T-Mobile Blackberry Internet Service setup page it made me verify the PIN. I entered all of my email accounts and was instantly sent a message on my phone that the email accounts were active. On the home screen of the blackberry each email account was listed with corresponding numbers next to it showing how many emails were waiting. You just select the account from the home screen and you can compose an email from that account; it will send from that account. When you send a message IT APPEARS IN YOU SENT FILE ON YOUR LOCAL MACHINE. I actually have sent message from my BB showing in my Exchange account for work. I am not using the Desktop Redirector or BES.

I have been using the T-Mobile BB service for a while but purchased the Cingular service to get the 8700. I paid full list so I could get the unlock code and I am going to cancel the Cingular service because the Blackberry Internet Service does not compare to T-Mobile. Here are some points:

--I get emails on the TM service in an instant; Cing takes several minutes.
--TM sends a notification when you add an account; Cing does not and leaves you wondering.
--I can send email from multiple accounts with different sent addresses; Cing only allowed me to use one sent from address.
--My multiple inboxes show on the home screen; Cing does not.
--I have used my previous TM 7100 as a modem and never received a charge and the 8700 works as a modem at EDGE speeds so I do not foresee any tethering charges; could not get the 8700 to work as a modem on Cing
--TM BIS service is 59.99 with 1000 minutes and unlimited SMS; Cing was around 120 for the same services.

To be honest I have only used the Cingular service for about 10 days and was shocked at how their Blackberry Internet Service lack the features that T-Mobiles offered. The Edge service on the 8700 has worked just as well as Cingulars; maybe even better, I am in Phoenix. The 8700 rocks much better on T-Mobile especially with the enhanced BIS.

Cheers!

Nonpesos, Is there anything that the 8700 cannot do on T-mo? I have T-mo and am waiting to get an unlocked BB8700. I just want to make sure that i am not sacrificing any options while using an unlocked 8700 that was originally intended for Cing? Make Sense? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #15
unclemurray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

I just switched from TMO to cingular for th 8700, and can attest that ningular BIS is a huge step back into the past. It's like going to a cassette answering machine after using a digital one for months. I hope cingular upgrades to the new BIS soon, or I may have to switch back. Being slow to respond is costing me business...
Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

even if the bb 8700c is unlocked, if i input the imei# and pin# from the 8700c will it recognize those numbers, or will those numbers be locked just to cingulars service?

reason, is i just bought an unlocked bb 8700c and should be recieving it tuesday.... and hope i be good to go... nopesos or any else with sucessful TMO SIM in the BB, using BB TMO plan, can please respond??

thanks,
Jon

Last edited by n1976jmk; 12-04-2005 at 02:02 PM..
Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
capoeira

If the device has been used previously it may still be attached to a BIS account (on cingular or whoever). If there are no accounts attached to the imei/pin #s you should be able to use it just fine on T-Mo.

-Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1976jmk
even if the bb 8700c is unlocked, if i input the imei# and pin# from the 8700c will it recognize those numbers, or will those numbers be locked just to cingulars service?

reason, is i just bought an unlocked bb 8700c and should be recieving it tuesday.... and hope i be good to go... nopesos or any else with sucessful TMO SIM in the BB, using BB TMO plan, can please respond??

thanks,
Jon
Old 12-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

the 8700c im recieving is brand new... so with that said i should be good to go, happy to hear
Old 12-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #19
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1976jmk
the 8700c im recieving is brand new... so with that said i should be good to go, happy to hear
Just curious where and how did you get a hold of an unlocked one?

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #20
n1976jmk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Just curious where and how did you get a hold of an unlocked one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unlock-Your-Cing...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been friends with this guy for over 4 yrs now, Adam/GSMPHONESOURCE, and he started his buisness on howard forums and now he has a buisness in Vegas. I bought a brand new 8700c cingular branded BB and he is gonna provide me the unlock code and instructions to do it.

www.gsmphonesource.com

I will let everyone know how all goes over the next week though, once I recieve everything...
Closed Thread