BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #81
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Last thing, call up Cingular and tell them that you have an app that requires TCP, they may need to "activate" it on their end. I had to do this when I first got my 8700c... I went through everything you are going through, I had everything set up right and I could not get tethering to work.

Somewhere on this forum someone suggested to call Cingular and ask them to activate TCP, but they also advised to NOT tell them you wanted to use your Blackberry as a tethered modem. Instead just tell them you have an app that requires TCP internet capabilities (for example, Idokorro Mobile SSH is one such app, which I do have installed, and did not work until I got Cingular to flick a switch on their end).

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #82
triniti
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Question 8700c Speed on Cingular Blue

I have everything set up and working properly as a current AT&T side customer. I do have a new Cingular 8700c and the EDGE is capitalized on my phone. I have read that Cingular customers are receiving broadband type speeds on the EDGE network using their 8700s. For some reason I am only getting dialup speeds at dslreports.com and MSN. What do I have to do to enjoy these types of speeds on this phone? I really would like to know before I leave town in a couple of days.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #83
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

EDGE is not broadband. You will never get those speeds. I think 157kbs is the fastest I have seen. It's not a day to day method IMO. It's more for emergencies. BE CAREFUL as you will likely get data charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triniti
I have everything set up and working properly as a current AT&T side customer. I do have a new Cingular 8700c and the EDGE is capitalized on my phone. I have read that Cingular customers are receiving broadband type speeds on the EDGE network using their 8700s. For some reason I am only getting dialup speeds at dslreports.com and MSN. What do I have to do to enjoy these types of speeds on this phone? I really would like to know before I leave town in a couple of days.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #84
lilkonger

Model: 8700c

Thank you everyone... this is a great post!
Was able to get my 8700c working as a modem.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #85
triniti
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy

That sux! I was told by a Cingular tech months ago that EDGE was supposed to be like Verizon Wireless' broadband access card and to wait for the new BB that would support it. He said we would be able to use the BB as a modem and achieve broadband like rates without additional equipment. I was hoping I could kill 2 birds with one brick with my 8700c while I'm on the road. Faster data rates would have been perfect. Does Cingular even support broadband wireless at all?
Closed Thread