gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
Just ordered the sti case a few days ago. ugh. Did everyone with this problem order the standard black? or did you get the upgraded leather?
Original Black here.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
BBNate
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

FYI - have a question out to Salo asking if Fortte will make an all leather version (no elastic) of the STi case upon request if anyone's interested. I also asked pyro (requestor of the original STi design) if he's had any loosening issues with his all-leather version and he stated he has not, and that's after a month of heavy daily use.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #23
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNate
FYI - have a question out to Salo asking if Fortte will make an all leather version (no elastic) of the STi case upon request if anyone's interested. I also asked pyro (requestor of the original STi design) if he's had any loosening issues with his all-leather version and he stated he has not, and that's after a month of heavy daily use.
Need you ask.

Add me to the list of people who'd be interested in this.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #24
gadgetjunkies

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

Received a email from Salo this afternoon giving me the tracking # of my replacement case. He stated that he was not able to inspect the case prior to shipment and wanted me to report back to him whether this new one works or not. I have ordered the Seidio case and will use that when it arrives and see how this new Fortte case does once I get it.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #25
BBNate

Default All leather option

I also received a response from Salo.

He stated Fortte can make an all-leather STi case upon customer requests. Just e-mail him with your order # once placed and let him know you'd like it made with all leather, no elastic, along with any other customization requests (no Fortte emblem, etc.).

He also stated they're looking into the loosening issue experienced by some customers, but thus far have not been able to reproduce the problem. They'll be analyzing the cases returned to try and identify the cause.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
mjustice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Just received my vertical pouch from Fortte-Beautiful in the mahogany. It is pretty snug but could be a hair tighter. I ordered it without the clip as I plan to use it in my pocket/and when I am wearing a suit. I too would like one w/o the elastic.

For wearing on your belt if folks are looking for a pouch-Do not forget nutshell. I have one of these with the clip (brown alligator) and it is slim and snug. The clip catches coming out my pocket though-Thought I would try Fortte as I also have their open face case for when I am not traveling.

Overall-I like both companies but feel Fortte offers a slightly better overall value

All of you have caused me to become a case junkie-I am up to five and have never bought an aftermarket case in the past for any of my other phones.

Lets keep them coming
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #27
rudy_ca2mp

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Salo has gotten to me a couple days ago. He requested pictures of my current STI case and will try to see how to fix it. I think he will be sending me a replacement as well in the near future. Then I will send my loose one back. I really love my case but do hope they re-issue them with out the elastic...
If all goes well, I might just have to order a few different styles of cases from Fortte.
(Damn you Greenberg! Daaammmn yooouuuuu!!!!) (LOL, jokes dude,...jokes)
Old 04-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #28
Gauss

Model: 8110
Carrier: Rogers

I have been in touch with Salo as well. I have email him pictures of my STI case and said he will send me a replacement. This I must say, is the best customer service I have received for an online order.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #29
flintridge

Default Placed my order for all leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNate
I also received a response from Salo.

He stated Fortte can make an all-leather STi case upon customer requests. Just e-mail him with your order # once placed and let him know you'd like it made with all leather, no elastic, along with any other customization requests (no Fortte emblem, etc.).

He also stated they're looking into the loosening issue experienced by some customers, but thus far have not been able to reproduce the problem. They'll be analyzing the cases returned to try and identify the cause.
Thanks BBNate. I emailed Salo for the "forum discount" and he sent me a code by email less than 24 hrs later. I placed my order today for the STi in british tan then sent him an email with my order no. requesting all leather and no Fortte logo and name. I will post a pic after I receive it.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #30
SmokinV10

Model: 8800

Damn, I never thought buying a case could be this complicated. I read the older thread about the fortte cases and it convinced me to get this pouch. Now I have some concerns:

1) Couple of you guys have e-grips. What do the egrips do to the look of the phone? I took a look of their website and they say that the egrips are clear. Is it going to make my blackberry the PDA equivalent of a VW commerical? I just dont it to look like I added a bunch of crap to the phone. Add a screen protector e-grips, yada yada yada, and before I know it, Ive got fuzzy dice, spinners and sheepskin seatcovers for my phone. I dont want the PDA version of some old lady's couch with plastic covered cushions. Sure they might protect the couch, but they are the antithesis of "pimp". Im not into tacky.

2)did anyone get their non-elastic version of the fortte case yet? are you sure its the elastic thats causing the problem? Areyou sure that "all leather" will do the trick or is this just conjecture? Why not just get the OEM blackberry one then?

Last edited by SmokinV10; 04-10-2006 at 11:48 PM..
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #31
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r

I kind of like a slightly loser case to facilitate removal. I liked theloose feel of the active OEM holster for my 7290. I am hoping this has the same feel. Obviously I want it to be easily accessible but not too loose. I orderd the sti case about a week ago so expecting it soon. I'm not concerned about the elastic because if it is faulty as with some others, I am confident that salo and fortte will make it right.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #32
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

eGrips are hardly noticeable if u get the clear set which I have on my 7105t. I also have a screen protector and if u wait 24 hours after putting it on, the remaining air bubbles will resolve themselves. I got tired of dropping my phone and getting the screen dirty. The case will fit with these on and will not look too bulky at all. I am waiting on a personalized open face case with a screen protector built in for my 7105t which should be here in 2 weeks. It's not too confusing if u know what u want your case to do and how u want it to look. I have a Krusell Multidapt Classic Swivel case I used with my 7100t and it worked well for a while but began to cause problems with sticking to the screen, getting the screen dirty, belt clip interference, etc so I stopped using it. I tried this case with my 7105t when I got it and didn't really care for it so I went back to using the original cases that shipped with the phones. If I like the first case I ordered, I may get a second one for my 7100t because I want to be able to also use that phone as a backup to my 7105t.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #33
lgreenberg

PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
1) What do the egrips do to the look of the phone?

See my review of them here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=203780
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #34
BBNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
2)did anyone get their non-elastic version of the fortte case yet? are you sure its the elastic thats causing the problem? Areyou sure that "all leather" will do the trick or is this just conjecture? Why not just get the OEM blackberry one then?
I'd imagine you can say it's just conjecture, but thus far I've only read/heard from one person who has an all-leather STi case which was the very first one created, originally a custom job. He stated (as I wrote above) that his case has not become loose at all after over a month of daily use. The other few loosening problems reported above are on cases with the elastic - though Salo stated to me that they've only heard from 2 customers complaining of loosening out of 120 STi cases delivered. So, at this point it doesn't sound to be a widespread problem or one would expect there to be a significantly higher number of reports.

Personally, I have no plans to get the extended battery - only eGrips - so don't really have a need for the elastic and would prefer all-leather.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #35
FightingDevil

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

All leather STi? WOOT! How much additional do you think this would run over the cost of the regular elasticized STi?

Salo: Do you have a ballpark figure? I might just email you directly for a quote if you don't want to post on the public board. Let me know!!

Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #36
gwar11d2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingDevil
All leather STi? WOOT! How much additional do you think this would run over the cost of the regular elasticized STi?

Salo: Do you have a ballpark figure? I might just email you directly for a quote if you don't want to post on the public board. Let me know!!

Thanks!!
I would like to see this case as well...I'm not the happiest with the elastic....but it works.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #37
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r

Ok.. fortte is bneing proactive about this, it seems..

Out of nowhere I recieved a call from fortte today asking me if I used an extended battery and suggesting that I get a non-elasticized case if I don't.

I am a little disapointed that my case hasn't been sent to production in the week since I ordered it, but it's nice that they are aware of this issue and are addressing it.

There is no charge for this "upgrade"
Old 04-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #38
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

The website states for the Sti:

# Elastic on the sided for extended battery

# This case with elastic on the sides is not recommended for the regualr slim battery

Not sure if this is new since the feedback came out or not
Old 04-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #39
BBNate

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustonuser
The website states for the Sti:

# Elastic on the sided for extended battery

# This case with elastic on the sides is not recommended for the regualr slim battery

Not sure if this is new since the feedback came out or not
I believe this was posted to their site recently - I didn't see it a few days ago - so I'd bet it's in response to the few reports of loosening. It's good to see a company be proactive and contacting those who've placed orders and making exchanges for other if they have problems.

As stated above, I heard also there's no additional cost for all-leather. Place your order for the STi and contact Fortte with your order # and request.

Incidentally, I suggested to Salo over the weekend that Fortte consider making an all-leather version part of their regular product line. Would make it a lot easier on customers as well as Fortte.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #40
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I emailed them to double check on my customized order, and requested the all leather, they said it would not be a problem. :D Yay!

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Closed Thread