BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
jrhett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Unhappy Where the 7100t is falling short.

Please Login to Remove!

I've had the 7100t for a week now, and frankly I've fallen in love with it. I'm using PocketMac and have synchronized my address book and calendar, this thing is just wonderful. However, the more I use the phone the more I am starting to get really frustrated with some basic limitations.

1. Address Book -- every phone I have ever used gave me a one-button way to get into the address book. The fastest way I can find on the 7100 is alt-esc-scroll-click, which really sucks. The 7100T has disabled ALT-A and holding down the send button doesn't work either.

2. Phone number priority Okay, so I have 6 phone numbers for my boss. But I really only use one. Yet every time I want to call my boss, I have to either scroll-click-select_type-click or scroll to the number and click. There should be either a primary number option, or the phone should recognize that I keep using the same number every time.

3. Same problem with SMS. I chose to send SMS, why does the mobile number always show up last in the list?

I like the scroll bar. I really dislike that you MUST scroll CONSTANTLY and REPEATEDLY for the same thing, over and over again.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Talking

Perhaps I can only help you with item one...
Hold down the SEND key for four seconds, it will dump you in the address book. A few key strokes to find the name and press the SEND key again. WHAM. All available numbers for that contact will appear, select the number you want with the wheel, press the SEND key one more time to place the call...

As far a item two goes... Try the following:
1. Tell your boss to get one number
2. Get a new job, one new boss come with the new job
3. Tell your boss to call you...

LOL, of course I'm kidding on the 1-3. Let me know if the procedure helps you.

L8R
-dm

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Maybe the 7100 is not the right BB for you. The 7200 series are fairly user friendly. I would encourage you to hold on and let some of the functions really grab you, after about a month is when I really hit my stride. But if you are still in the 14 days try exchanging it.

Good Luck & Cheers
Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't think a 72xx is going to help em... Plus who want to talk into a calculator. Next thing we'll all hear is we should use a mainframe for a deskop. :D

-d

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
jrhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
Perhaps I can only help you with item one...
Hold down the SEND key for four seconds, it will dump you in the address book.
Did you read my message? This doesn't work. I've held down the green for up to minute, and it never goes into the address book.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
jrhett

Also, the bookmarks. Why am I forced to open my bookmarks every time I browse? I want all of the pre-defined nonsense out of my way. I should be starting right at my bookmarks.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
vbuckjr

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

What version of the OS are you on I have upgraded mine to 4 and when I hold the Send Key it dumps me into the address book. Either yours is defective, or maybe you need to upgrade your OS on the phone.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Last edited by dgman; 03-16-2005 at 04:52 PM..
Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhett
Did you read my message? This doesn't work. I've held down the green for up to minute, and it never goes into the address book.
Easy mister nasty... Just trying to help. What version on BOS are you running. Works on my 7100t, unless you have the special handcapped version? Hold it down for four seconds and release it. IT WILL GO TO the PHONE LOGGER. If not make sure your running 4.0.xxyyzz code NOT 3.8.

Last edited by dgman; 03-16-2005 at 04:51 PM..
Old 03-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbuckjr
What version of the OS are you on I have upgraded mine to 4 and when I hold the Send Key it dumps me into the address book. Either yours is defective, or maybe you need to upgrade your OS on the phone.
VBUCKJR - No his version is "SPECIAL". You know he tried to hold down the SEND key for a minute... In the imortal words of Bugs Bunny... What a MAROOON.

:-D

Last edited by dgman; 03-16-2005 at 04:51 PM..
Old 03-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #11
jrhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
Maybe the 7100 is not the right BB for you. The 7200 series are fairly user friendly. I would encourage you to hold on and let some of the functions really grab you, after about a month is when I really hit my stride. But if you are still in the 14 days try exchanging it.
You've hit the nail on the head -- I _LOVE_ many of the functions. I'm thrilled with the device. I just need it to be a smarter phone.

I am willing to switch to the 7200 if these problems are solved there.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #12
jrhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
Easy mister nasty... Just trying to help. What version on BOS are you running. Works on my 7100t, unless you have the special handcapped version? Hold it down for four seconds and release it. IT WILL GO TO the PHONE LOGGER. If not make sure your running 4.0.xxyyzz code NOT 3.8.
Ah, that helps. Nobody mentioned that this shortcut only works in 4.0. Everything I had read said that 4.0 only fixed TCP issues. I will upgrade and try.

And lose the mister nasty bit. I only repeated what I had already stated above. You descended to insults.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
2. Phone number priority Okay, so I have 6 phone numbers for my boss. But I really only use one. Yet every time I want to call my boss, I have to either scroll-click-select_type-click or scroll to the number and click. There should be either a primary number option, or the phone should recognize that I keep using the same number every time.
I noticed my 7100 has speed dials. I haven't tried using them yet, but it sounds like using a speed dial could solve this problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Everybody take a deep breath. When the 7100 came out there were TONS of similar threads (I want this, I need this, why can't I do this). Just let it go. You can't change the bookmarks, so forget it. YOu can't move icons from one menu to another. One can't assign ringtones by person. ALl things that may be very important, but you can't have them anyway ;)

Upgrading to the latest version of the handheld OS is always a good idea on the BB.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
brewberry

Model: 7100t
Default what OS version?

While we have some brainberrys here...how does one find the current version and where would one go to upgrade?

Also, a few other ops questions:
> Can I make someones addressbook name show when they call me?
> How do I get my address book listing to show more than one fillter group at a time??

Thanks,

brewberry
Old 03-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewberry
While we have some brainberrys here...how does one find the current version and where would one go to upgrade?
1) Settings / Options / About will show you the installed version

2) Check the Sticky threads - particular Mark Rejhon's 4.0 Upgrade Thread for information on getting the software and performing the upgrade.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #17
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
1) Settings / Options / About will show you the installed version

2) Check the Sticky threads - particular Mark Rejhon's 4.0 Upgrade Thread for information on getting the software and performing the upgrade.
here is a nice T-Mobile area for all the latest and greatest BOS Upgrades and Patches:
http://software.se.t-mobile.com/

If you don't have t-mobile, follow NJBlackBerry's link to Mark's FAQs.

Last edited by dgman; 03-16-2005 at 04:48 PM..
Old 03-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #18
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ah, that helps. Nobody mentioned that this shortcut only works in 4.0. Everything I had read said that 4.0 only fixed TCP issues. I will upgrade and try.

And lose the mister nasty bit. I only repeated what I had already stated above. You descended to insults.

Best bet, never bite the hacker who feeds you... L8r Mister NASTY

Last edited by dgman; 03-16-2005 at 04:50 PM..
Old 03-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #19
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
I noticed my 7100 has speed dials. I haven't tried using them yet, but it sounds like using a speed dial could solve this problem.
You only have a finite number of SDs... Use them wisely!

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #20
jrhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
Speed dial will solve the problem for a total of 7 users. I have more than 90 people in my address book, and every single one of them has a number that is their "primary" number. Every phone on the market I can find recognizes this idea. (informal office survey found 16 different phones, and they all grok this)
Closed Thread