Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #21
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c04a31
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I didn't notice a difference in the battery life. I don't think the GPS turns on unless a programs calls it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilguy View Post
How is the battery life of the spring 8830 vs. the verizon 8830? One of my initial thoughts was that the GPS on the 8830 combined with higher power requirement of the CDMA technology may have shortened battery life too much.....
Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #22
ISMPlus

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
No missed calls so far.

It even rang through when I received a call while tethered and online.
(Which is working great while connected directly to Sprint's network.)
((I still need to try it when it's roaming))

I'm thrilled so far with the Sprint 8830's performance and lack of restrictions.
I've also been very happy with my Sprint 8830. The GPS, let me tell you, is a God-sent! Last night we were in a totally unfamiliar area, about 80 mins away from home, eating out with my family. There was a huge detour on the way back that led somewhere even more unfamiliar... and I lost sight of my brother's car, whom we were following. We had no idea how to get back home. My hubby says to turn on the gps/BB map and that's how we got back!!

I had no idea how useful this feature till last night!

I'm also very pleased with Sprint's CS, they've been very helpful and courteous to us. We've been with them for over 10 years! Have no plans on switching!

Enjoy your 8830!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
I didn't notice a difference in the battery life. I don't think the GPS turns on unless a programs calls it.
So far the Sprint 8830's battery life seems to be equivalent with what I was seeing on the Verizon 8830.

I suspect the Verizon 8830's GPS chip is "On". The reason apps cannot use it is the access has been restricted at the software level.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #24
caraudiocraze

Glad you could make hte switch to Sprint. They are far superior to the other carriers. Think about it, so Verizon has the largest network, sprint has better, cheaper plans. Go with Sprint and get free roaming to where if Sprint doesnt have service you use Verizon and you're set. Sprints customer service is great as well. Hope you enjoy the 8830 on Sprint. I LOVE mine.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiocraze View Post
Glad you could make hte switch to Sprint. They are far superior to the other carriers. Think about it, so Verizon has the largest network, sprint has better, cheaper plans. Go with Sprint and get free roaming to where if Sprint doesnt have service you use Verizon and you're set. Sprints customer service is great as well. Hope you enjoy the 8830 on Sprint. I LOVE mine.

such BS they were 70 bucks higher than my verizon and they are way far away from superior to two cans and a string and I dont roam on any other carrier where I travel in three states.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
MJ-bos

I agree ...

I had tmo with my 8700 and was never in love with the data speed, network coverage, or physical feel of the phone (I keep a RAZR on Verizon as a "personal" phone, and love the network coverage). My company changed over from tmo to Sprint and I got an 8830 and have been thrilled with it. The network seems to work better than tmo, I haven't experienced calls going directly to voicemail (except when browsing the web). I've even had the Nav going, listening to a podcast, and had a call come in. I was shocked that it all worked, nothing dropped or died or rebooted (does it show that I've been damaged by Windows Mobile!!).

I believe that I've finally found my "everything" device - email (PDA), navigator, phone, and MP3/vid player. The 8830 has replaced an older blackberry, iPaq, GPS dongle, and Sansa (my only gripe is no Audible support - yet). Being able to tether the modem via Bluetooth was an unexpected and very happy surprise.

I got the Razr from Verizon for free as part of a settlement over the v710 class action. They only partially learned their lesson - the documentation very clearly states what they disable now - unfortunately they haven't gotten to the point of delivering what their customers want.

Cheers,
mj
Old 07-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #27
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-bos View Post
They only partially learned their lesson - the documentation very clearly states what they disable now
Hate to take the 180 degree turn into another GPS babble, but I don't see anything in ANY of my VZW 8830 docs that state anything about GPS being disabled. I honestly don't even know if you can call the VZW 8830 "booklet" a manual... it blows in comparison to the RIM one. What a joke!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #28
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Hate to take the 180 degree turn into another GPS babble, but I don't see anything in ANY of my VZW 8830 docs that state anything about GPS being disabled. I honestly don't even know if you can call the VZW 8830 "booklet" a manual... it blows in comparison to the RIM one. What a joke!

does it state that it is enabled?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #29
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
such BS they were 70 bucks higher than my verizon and they are way far away from superior to two cans and a string and I dont roam on any other carrier where I travel in three states.
You roam, u just dont see it, your in denial, thats all
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
You roam, u just dont see it, your in denial, thats all
if you say so! I have hit romaing and I have seen it roaming so i know when it roams and In tennessee and Georgia and Alabama I dont hit roam at all
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #31
caraudiocraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
My sprint plan:
500 Minutes
Unltd. Texts
N&W @ 6
Unltd. Roaming
Unltd. Data
BB Unltd. Data
Insurance
Total: $61.00

So if you can get a better plan on verizon for that price more power to ya.

www.caraudiocraze.com
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #32
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiocraze View Post
My sprint plan:
500 Minutes
Unltd. Texts
N&W @ 6
Unltd. Roaming
Unltd. Data
BB Unltd. Data
Insurance
Total: $61.00

So if you can get a better plan on verizon for that price more power to ya.
500 minutes lmao I go through that in a week. And I am not talking just black berry I have 4 phones and the plans they offer for those phones I have to pay extra for the text messagning and thats 60 bucks right there.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #33
superkame

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon

I would go to spirint in a millisecond if it only worked in south boston, MA...

coverage here is spotty....
Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #34
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

the sad part is do you want gps or do you want reliable phone service, bottom line gl with sprint, i like the fact i own a cell phone and it does that, anyplace usa i goto it works, unlike nextel, sprint, att

Last edited by wabbit; 08-01-2007 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
the sad part is do you want gps or do you want reliable phone service, bottom line gl with sprint, i like the fact i own a cell phone and it does that, anyplace usa i goto it works, unlike nextel, sprint, att
amen brother amen
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #36
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask

Quote:
I like this reply of yours, I chose to stay another year with VZW, Why?

Repairs/Replacements are done locally, and I do NOT have to wait or pay extra for overnight shipping.

Customer service is always great and if I get TUDE from some one I call back immediately and they take care of it and give me something to appeal to my sense's for the TUDE.

And allot of little other things that add up to big things which make it worth the cost.

AT&T is good service but from the last 28 days of testing and using it and calling with questions its NOT worth all the different attitudes I dealt with.

T-Mobile I would take hands down if they covered where I go vacationing although the wife figured since she has the AT&T go phone which gets 5 bars that after another year I could switch to TMO and save some money and have great customer support.

Everyone has there own opinion, and to those that felt they needed to move on to another carrier I sincerely wish them the best.

MichaelBB
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #37
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Who else?

I was angry about vz and the gps issue so I ordered the 8830 from Sprint on a sero plan. The phone takes a week to ship, then after activating (which has to be done over the phone) 30 minute wait, then I can call but no data. So I call back, on hold about 47 miutes, call lost. Call back wait 50 some minutes just to talk to a live person. They say it takes 24 hours before you can use it. I said I can walk out of vz ot att and use it and they said sorry that's how long it takes. So make a long story short, every single call took over 40 minutes and all in all, they never got the data working. I had totaled approx 5 hrs of waiting on the phone for cust service (worst cust service exp I have ever experienced) In the meantime, I got the Curve which I like better as a device but the data is a little slow. So, the 8830 is being delivered tomorrow morning from the big V. Oh well, I tried.
I ignored all the bad I heard about Sprint cust service but it's not a myth!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #38
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
I was angry about vz and the gps issue so I ordered the 8830 from Sprint on a sero plan. The phone takes a week to ship, then after activating (which has to be done over the phone) 30 minute wait, then I can call but no data. So I call back, on hold about 47 miutes, call lost. Call back wait 50 some minutes just to talk to a live person. They say it takes 24 hours before you can use it. I said I can walk out of vz ot att and use it and they said sorry that's how long it takes. So make a long story short, every single call took over 40 minutes and all in all, they never got the data working. I had totaled approx 5 hrs of waiting on the phone for cust service (worst cust service exp I have ever experienced) In the meantime, I got the Curve which I like better as a device but the data is a little slow. So, the 8830 is being delivered tomorrow morning from the big V. Oh well, I tried.
welcome home welcome home
Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #39
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
I switched to att from vzw, and expected to be disappointed by the coverage.. so far, I have been impressed. No customer service complaints either.

I left because of the verizon crippling the gps thing. I chose att over sprint because i had had a corporate (data only) blackberry on att and was pretty sure the coverage would be good enough. So once I decided to go with att, it was either the 8800 w/ gps and a lousy keyboard, or the smaller curve. Funny, I left vzw because of the gps (primarily on principal) but ended up with a curve, a phone without gps, that I like much better anyway.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #40
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
I had just the opposite treatment from Sprint. Ordered my phone on the website, arrived 2 days later. 5-10 wait for CS, phone activated. They said it could take several hours for the provisioning of the phone, it was fully functional less then an hour after the call to CS.
Had to call today to add 300 SMS messages. Again 5 minute wait, CS took care of me without incident.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Sprint CS, but I'm sure VZW isn't spot on every day, every call either.
Closed Thread