Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #281
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Just go to the benchmarks thread and check my own readings before and after EVDO.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #282
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon (soon cxl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyjr
Beach Bum,

I have a 7250 that I did the Ev-Do upgrade on, in addition to having a 7130. While I have not "measured" the speeds, I can tell you that I find little or no difference between the two. The VZW salesperson doesn't seem to know his own products, as this seems like saying that your PC will run faster if it has a 200mb hard-drive, as opposed to having a 80mb drive - that is just storage and has no bearing on speed.

That all said, I have used both and, while I didn't mind the "sure-type" technology, I do a LOT of e-mailing and I prefer the full keyboard of my 7250. The 7130 definately has a nicer screen and the speakerphone is real nice too, but I use a v3c Razr as my phone and I only use the BB as my data device.

Either way, both of these devices are very good -

Hoppy
Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear. Even though I don't do a lot of emailing per se, I do book a fair amount of appointments on the road and the sure type on my 7100T is a pain when logging streets and people's names that are not common spellings. I probably will miss the screen though. Also, do you find any difference in the two devices ability in opening attachments?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #283
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon (soon cxl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Just go to the benchmarks thread and check my own readings before and after EVDO.
KonTiki

I don't want to sound stupid, but what exactly do those numbers mean? Are they in KbPS or how do they translate? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #284
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Default Coverage

I upgraded my 7250 months ago to the EDVO network. At least once or twice a week I get a "data connection refused" message on the top of the screen and can't get email until I establish a network connection again either by removing the battery multiple times and/or turning off the wireless and turning it back on.

I'm headed to 84717 - Zion National Park in utah and am wondering if I am going to have EDVO coverage? If not, does the 7250 have a setting to use the older 1X network? Want to make sure I am connected on the data side.

Any suggestions?

SGM-CO
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #285
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Both the upgraded 7250 and 7130 should drop down to 1X if EVDO isn't available.

When I drive up to DC, my 7130 drops to 1x outside of the major metro areas.

You can query VZW's coverage by zipcode here:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...ype=NEWREQUEST

Looks like a lot of areas around where you're going might not have any service.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #286
Hoppyjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI Beach Bum
Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear. Even though I don't do a lot of emailing per se, I do book a fair amount of appointments on the road and the sure type on my 7100T is a pain when logging streets and people's names that are not common spellings. I probably will miss the screen though. Also, do you find any difference in the two devices ability in opening attachments?
No, not any real difference in opening attachments either - but, I enjoy reading e-mails and replying to them on the 7250 better than on the 7130 and I like that the LCD screen can be read in daylight and office light without using the backlight. I find the 7130 screen better for web browsing and games (that bright color is pretty cool). BTW< i am using my devices through my company BES. I'm sure you already know this, but the 7130 can be set to a "tap" mode, where you multi-tap to enter letters (kind of like texting on a regular cell phone). The only thing a really missed when i switched back to my 7250 was the spell check function of the sure-type function. I just installed a spell-check program fom E-Office (?) and am using it on the 7250, so far so good.

Now, just to get the 8700 series on Verizon - 64mb ram, cool screen, full keyboard..........I need a cold shower now!

Hoppy
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #287
aristobrat

I can't wait for VZW to get the 8700 either.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 AM   #288
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

I have the SOLUTION, its a super EASY upgrade. It's 100% reliable, and I've been using it a week with 10x better funcionality, stability, speed, features, and ease. It does cost a small amount of money but is WELL WELL worth it. The upgrade is available via cingular and is called a 8700c, go buy it now, you will thank me. if you're scared you'd be making a huge mistake you'll regret, goto cingular, buy the thing and sign up for a new number, if you hate it, return it(you'll be completely refunded, and won't pay an account termination as long as its in 30 days) and if you love it then port your number over and cancel verizon. I have no doubts that within 5 days you'll already have completely changed over.
enjoy
Evan
Old 03-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #289
aristobrat

Unfortunately for me, I'm addicted to Verizon's EVDO.

Even if the 8700c made my breakfast, I don't think I'd be able to switch to a non-EVDO version of it!
Old 03-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #290
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

I had the Verizon EVDO on the 7250, the Edge smokes it, SMOKES. If you're using a 7100 series than I can't comment because they were trully made to support EVDO but the 7250 hack doesn't give you true EVDO and switching to EDGE is like browsing with my laptop at full broadband, not a single complaint and its been 10 days. This thing is amazing. SWITCH and you'll see. Btw, I have a BRAND NEW, un used 7250, PM me please.

dislaimer- the above statement is not an attempt to sell anything, if anything is sold during PM's it will simply be coincidence and not relate to the imformation I've provided above.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #291
vlw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

You are correct. The 7250 is EVDO capable. I got the 4.1 software from another source for my 7250 and Verizon let me turn on the service for an extra $15 per month. It works well.

Check all of the other CDMA carriers to see if one of them has released 4.1
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #292
ccarlton

Model: 7250
Default Evdo Is Here!

The 7250 does indeed support EVDO (I have it right now). But you need the newest software from verizon. However they have yet to post a link to it on their site. It is hosted there you just need the link ;).

Here it is 4.0.2-----> vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402/ (add http in front)

After you install it you just need to do a *228 option 2 and you'll see the ev icon pop up if your within the evdo coverage area.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #293
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Default I wish I never had

I kinda wish I hadn't upgrade my 7250 to the ED-VO network. I'm in Denver and the ED-VO network seems to drop all the time which in turn doesn't allow my BES server to send me mail. I have to either shut the phone off numerous times to get back on the network or shut off the wireless numberous times. It is hit or miss.

No quicker web surfing and don't use the tether system.

If there is a solution to this issue, please let me know.

TX
SGM-CO