BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
illusiveongaku
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G
Angry Just Freakin' Great... Spent $350 on this damn thing thru T-Mobile to hear this!...

Please Login to Remove!

Alright, to make a REAL LONG story short, basically neither Blackberry OR T-Mobile SUPPORT the 8600g as a modem. What I'm trying to do is use it as a modem for my HOME computer. I keep getting error message 763 which has to do with TCP/IP connections.

I've spent about 8 hrs on the phone with T-Mobile for the past wk (since I've had the phone...) going thru setting up ALL the modem options, network connections, makings sure the COM3 is hooked up, blah, blah, blah... I've gone all throughout the HELP option on my computer looking up what these errors and what-not, mean and have tried a whole list ot options with the 763 error message. I have about a 3-4 yr old Sony VIAO Desktop and since I do NOT have internet on it, I was trying to use my new and EXPENSIVE investment as a modem to save on a $38 a month internet bill. (Nice freakin' try huh?!...)

I got this thing on the 7th of June and as far as I know it's all up-to-date. Half of the people at T-Mobile (yes only HALF...) say that it can be used as a modem for my desktop, but I have them absolutely stumped on this one!!! They've tried calling Blackberry about the issue but they say they don't support using the 8700g as a modem therefore will not give info on it.

I've done the following...
-Tried using different standard modems
-Re-installed the BB software (about 6 times now...)
-used diff. COM ports... (COM3 & COM4 now...)
-tried the "AT+" code (wap.voicestream.com) msg.
-tried 2 diff. dial #'s... (*99# & *99***1#) with T-Mobile

Basically I need to know from other 8700 users what the hell works, cause this thing is about ready to get thrown out the damn window. I mean, if I hafta just get regular internet for it, then fine... BUT I was hoping spending the money that I did on this I could save $ on a regular internet bill. Hmmm...

If you'd like please forward information to: [email address]

Thanks!!! -Crystal.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Not sure if this helps? http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019
Old 06-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
illusiveongaku
No longer Registered.

Unhappy Hmmm.... no further help!? :(

This is for laptops... I have a stand alone PC... and need info. for the 8700G model... Thanks tho... :/ -Crystal.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

I hope you have other intentions for the handheld other than just the tethering factor. Would be quite the spendy purchase for a modem that runs slower than cable/dsl connections.

I know cingular makes us purchase the tethering option seperate from our data plans, you might want to make sure T-Mo doesn't do the same.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

You can try two things. Look at my tips doc and there was thread here when the 8700g came out on how someone unlocked it and used it as a modem on TM. Go find the thread and you should have luck. But don't be impressed with the speed. I think it's ok for grabing small email but not surfing.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
illusiveongaku
No longer Registered.

Unhappy Hmmm....

Unable to find further information on that link you sent. :/

I don't care if the speed is slow... I just need for for a few uses. It's not the only thing I use it for... I was just hoping for the added bonus.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusiveongaku
Unable to find further information on that link you sent. :/

I don't care if the speed is slow... I just need for for a few uses. It's not the only thing I use it for... I was just hoping for the added bonus.
See my signature and get the 8700 tips doc from my site.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

One quick thought here, are you using a USB port on the front of the Desktop or the back? Some ports on the front are different on older PCs and have limited capabilities. I had a problem with my last Dell with that, wouldn't recognize a USB Stick.

Hope this helps
Rcbjr
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Technically speaking $350 isn't too expensive for a subsidized PDA phone-type device. That appears to about be the norm. There are much MORE EXPENSIVE options. 'Ya pays 'yer money and 'ya takes 'yer chances!.

It looks like you want stinsonddog's 8700c tips document (that he linked), page 14. It gives some T-Mobile settings that may work. We'll just have to try them. Also make sure your using USB and not bluetooth or IrDA (I'm not going to assume anything since you have trouble locating Stinsonddog 's link). If you were that concerned about tethering, you should have cleared that with your sales associate in the first place. He or she may have suggested a different phone that is easier to tether. Although given the information on Stinsonddog 's tip sheet, this should be straightforeward.

Good luck on your quest to get tethering to work.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Meave
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Try this
http://www.mobishark.com
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
bbsee

Model: 8770g

Download the recent version of desktop manager from tmobile.
And make sure you start that before using it as a modem.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
grindtime84

no offense, but why would you wanna use your BB 8700 as a modem for your home computer? you know how slow that would be? why not just pay the 38 bucks for internet and no hassle when you already coughed up about $350 for the BB?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindtime84
no offense, but why would you wanna use your BB 8700 as a modem for your home computer? you know how slow that would be? why not just pay the 38 bucks for internet and no hassle when you already coughed up about $350 for the BB?
Agreed as it's just not tenable. Needs HSDPA speed or EVDO for home use UNLESS IT'S EMAIL ONLY.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Agreed as it's just not tenable. Needs HSDPA speed or EVDO for home use UNLESS IT'S EMAIL ONLY.
...or Google. Since it's a very light page, searching in google works pretty well. But in general, as a backup option (if your cable modem/dsl goes down) it's still great to have.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 06-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
udrainville

Model: 8100c
PIN: 23fb29b6
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
This is for laptops... I have a stand alone PC... and need info. for the 8700G model... Thanks tho... :/ -Crystal.
Whether it be for laptops or desktops, the instructions would be the same. A laptop is just a desktop with smaller components...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

As with grindtime84, I hope I don't offend, but I just don't get the whole tethering idea AT ALL. I read post after post, thread after thread, about this issue and I have yet to come across a single solid reason to do it. I mean I guess maybe when on the road travelling, and in need of some web surfing, but even that seems unnecessary. Personally, I would never even consider tethering at home - that seems absurd. I had DSL for years, and just got a cable connection this year. Though it costs a little more where I live, the speed I get is rediculous, and I will never have anything less than DSL. Who the heck still pays for dial up, really? Some DSL providers out there are down to $15/month!

When I have my laptop away from home (shiny new black MacBook!!!), I am just about always in a hotspot of some sort, especially nowadays that they are everywhere. Maybe I'm spoiled living in the Seattle area where they are abundant, but surely everyone else has a public library or a coffee shop nearby, or even a FedEx/Kinkos or Panera Bread! You almost have to look for a place where there ISN'T a hotspot. Many are free, and the others are only a few dollars for the entire day, so when I find myself in the airport or coffee shjop that charges, I dish out the $3 and surf away. The three bucks is certainly worth it instead of trying to tether on surf at EDGE speeds on my MacBook - that would se eee eem s l o w.....

Anyway, if there are reasons out there that I am unaware of, which is oftent he case, please enlighten me, and I apologize in advance. But it just seems rediculous to me. To each his own...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #17
pacemkr

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Uhmm... I cant believe no one bothered to say that it doesnt matter. There is no fundamental difference between a laptop and a desktop. Its just a different form factor. This guide should work for a desktop if it works for a laptop. The BB 8700 model as in 8700g, 8700c, 8700r, etc doesnt matter either. Your carrier matters, but T-mobile will not charge extra for tethering. So try that guide.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

I can say that when in a pinch I use it to grab email at an airport when it doesn't make sense to shell out $10 and I can grab the email in about a minute or 2.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #19
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Isn't that the best time to use your BlackBerry? I wouldn't get out my laptop and tether up just to check email when I carry an email machine on and EDGE network. Why do you?

Addtionally, T-Mo and some others only charge about $3 for a single day or for a couple hours.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #20
zarza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: docomo Pacific, Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Isn't that the best time to use your BlackBerry? I wouldn't get out my laptop and tether up just to check email when I carry an email machine on and EDGE network. Why do you?

Addtionally, T-Mo and some others only charge about $3 for a single day or for a couple hours.
Because sometimes attachments need to be viewed on a PC.
Closed Thread