Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
kayla76

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default tracking blackberry activity

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I am still getting used to this tech stuff, and many times when I read about my own questions, it gets so technical that I get lost in the words. I just want to know if there is any way to track activity on a blackberry. i.e. internet usage, applications like facebook, instant messaging, email, call logs, deletions, all that stuff. And can you access these reports online or do you have to continually access the phone itself?

I found this but I'm not quite sure what it means or if it is what I am looking for. Can anyone help?

SNMP components that you can use to monitor BlackBerry Enterprise Server components and BlackBerry device users

You can use third-party SNMP tools instead of the BlackBerry® Monitoring Service to send and receive information about the configuration and activity of BlackBerry® Enterprise Server components and BlackBerry device users in your organization's BlackBerry Domain.

To use SNMP to monitor BlackBerry Enterprise Server components and BlackBerry device users, you require an SNMP service and an SNMP management tool. An SNMP service is a service that is located in the Windows® Services and contains an SNMP agent that sends trap messages to an SNMP management tool when the activity of BlackBerry Enterprise Server components and BlackBerry device users meets specific conditions. The conditions are defined in a MIB, which is a database that describes variables, including what each SNMP trap value represents. Any application that supports SNMP, such as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, includes a MIB.

You can use an SNMP management tool, such as a MIB browser, to view the information that the SNMP agent sends to the SNMP management tool. By default, the SNMP management tool displays the OID of a condition. An OID is a sequence of integers that identifies a class value within a class hierarchy. All SNMP OIDs and SNMP traps for BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0 begin with the class value 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.6. To uniquely identify a class value within a class, each OID value is distinguished by a suffix (for example, 25.1.1).

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server provides different OID values for specific messaging servers. You can check the properties of a OID value in the SNMP management tool to verify that the value applies to your organization's environment.

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The paragraphs you've excerpted are referring to BES and the tools available to the admin. See the glossary at BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ.

There is at least one aftermarket application that will monitor data useage on a personal device -- can't recall the name offhand, but it's something like minimon. Take a look at the 3rd party/aftermarket forum. There is also a list of aftermarket applications at the faq linked above.

EDIT: take a look at http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...hlight=minimon.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-02-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
kayla76

I am trying to track activity, not the usage and size of data files, or anything like that. i want to see what my son is doing on his phone. i know there are things you can install on computers to track computer usage, but how about the blackberry
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

There are apps, I believe. I can't advise. And I doubt on this forum anyone is going to help you, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

There are apps, I believe. I can't advise. And I doubt on this forum anyone is going to help you, but I could be wrong.
I thought I should expand on Ira's answer about people not assisting you with this.

We often get people who look for ways to track someone else by using their BlackBerry, and in most cases it seems it's a 'stalker' type situation. Or people under the guise of something else, looking for imformation to help them do illegal things.
blue.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
kayla76

understandable. I am just trying to track my sons usage. I dont like the kids he has been hanging out with. and i wasnt aware it was illegal since there are things on the market for it, like at brickhouse security and stuff. but either way, thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

I'm not sure if it is illegal personally, I meant to say they would use those features to aide in doing something illegal.
blue.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Noodle didn't exactly say your stated intent is against the law; only that you could be what you say you are, or a jealous boyfriend, or worse. We have no way of knowing.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
DMHinCO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I am considering mymobilewatchdog

Monitor Your Child's Cell Phone, Text Messages and Email With Alerts to Unauthorized Activity with RADAR, My Mobile Watchdog

My daughter knows when she gets a phone she has no digital privacy. It is part of the deal. Pass judgment if you like. I don't care.

I use Nice Office from the same company and I really like it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
TXLady

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I think this one actually sounds ok.
Quote:
Will my child know that My Mobile Watchdog is on their phone? Yes. My Mobile Watchdog is not spyware and they will know that their phone is being protected.

How will they know?A message appears on the phone about every 24 hours or whenever the phone is turned on. It lets them know that My Mobile Watchdog is monitoring and protecting their phone. They push any button to agree and continue phone use.

What if I want to hide the message on the phone? My Mobile Watchdog is not spyware, rather a tool for parents to use to monitor and protect their children.

Can my child remove the software from their phone?While no software is completely immune from removal, My Mobile Watchdog will let you know if your child has removed the software from their phone. If your child deletes it, they will be unable to reactivate their phone without your security code.
I think what the posters on this forum have the biggest problem with are those users who ask how to track others without them finding out about it and claim to be parents,etc. Software that the user is aware of takes it out of the realm of creepy stalker activity.

I do think parents have the right and the responsibility to know what their kids are doing. This software appears to allow them to do that.

Last edited by TXLady; 04-04-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

Some carriers do offer tracking of location. Verizon is one.
Your carrier has one also. A call to them may answer your other needs

AT&T's service, called FamilyMaps, allows people to track the location of any cell phone on AT&T's network from a mobile phone or PC. The person being tracked receives a text message informing him or her that he or she is being watched. The service periodically informs the tracked individual that he or she is being watched if a text message is missed
Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wireless Parental Controls - Wireless from AT&T
Old 04-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
BIGBOSS122
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I asked Verizon some of the questions that you asked regarding tracking on the Blackberry. I was told that currently they do not keep record of BBM usage. I dont know of any tools that do but I'm sure that some exists somewhere?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #14
kayla76

Thank you so much everyone. i hate having to use parental controls on anything. I am not trying to smother his usage, I just want to know if he is getting into dangerous stuff. Thanks again. I will look into some of this stuff.

I remember it was either sprint or verison that tracked all the video and pictures on your wireless account, but not the text messages. i have ATT now. and Im pretty sure they dont keep track.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

They don't unless the police has a court order.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread