BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
dumzo

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default I think I fried by Blackberry!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,

I charged my Blackberry on my girlfriend's Razr charger one day and things have gone down hill since. Although I read on a post in here that it is okay to charge a BB on the Razor, my phone won't even turn on anymore. First it started showing error 411 then the battery would say it was empty when it had been on a USB cord for 4 hours. I thought I would throw a new battery in and it still tells me "battery drained, shutting down".

Is there anyway to tell if I really did fry the thing?

Dumzo.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

That's what you get with unprotected charge.

Take it to a store and see if they can test with a different battery.

Last edited by x14; 06-06-2007 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
asteele
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Try charging your BlackBerry from the mains charger, instead of the USB.

The USB just trickle charges, whereas the mains charger delivers a much more powerful charge rate. If your battery is totally flat, then the USB charge could take a very long time to get things going again, or may fail to get the charge going at all.

I tried to charge my BlackBerry from a friends PC using USB - which did not have the BlackBerry Device software installed. I did not realise that you needed the software installed before it could even charge - and instead the PC talked my BlackBerry to death until the battery was totally drained. It then took about 8 hours on the (correct PC) USB before it would even show any signs of life at all. I learned afterwards that the mains charger would have sorted it much more quickly.

Hope this helps in your case...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
andrsnsm

Model: 8300
Default RAZR Charger OK For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumzo View Post
Hey all,

I charged my Blackberry on my girlfriend's Razr charger one day and things have gone down hill since. Although I read on a post in here that it is okay to charge a BB on the Razor, my phone won't even turn on anymore. First it started showing error 411 then the battery would say it was empty when it had been on a USB cord for 4 hours. I thought I would throw a new battery in and it still tells me "battery drained, shutting down".

Dumzo.
I have been using RAZR chargers on my 8700 ever since I got it with no problems. Even used a Cingular 8125 charger with no problems.

Sam
Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I would have thought that they would have worked as well. I have a Motorola H700 Headset and it uses the 'mini USB' connector to charge and since the BB uses the same, I would have imagined that the it would work. The BB charging circuitry is located 'in' the BB so I would imagine that ANY 'mini USB' charging unit SHOULD work.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
brinaht
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: bobby pin

Error 411 is a device error dealing with the radio. Only way I've found to fix the problem is to get a new device...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
rposeidon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I'm not a huge stickler for these kinda things, but when you are using a several hundred dollar device... just use the right charger... not worth the risk.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
You probably did not fry the thing -- it's just a coincidence.

Motorola chargers have generally worked fine with BlackBerries, including mine, your report is the first time I've heard of this.

It is true in the past that mixing chargers is never a good idea, but USB chargers are a whole different story altogether -- USB has standardized voltages and currents (5 volts at up to 500 milliamps). So all the different brand computers USB ports and different brand USB chargers, should work (the good USB chargers with automatic charge negotiation work best -- Motorola, for example, works fine.)

Also, Error 411, I believe, is a radio problem, which is unrelated to charging.

Claim your warranty and you should be fine. No need to mention the charging -- it likely did not cause Error 411.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rposeidon View Post
I'm not a huge stickler for these kinda things, but when you are using a several hundred dollar device... just use the right charger... not worth the risk.
That's what I should have said in the first place instead of rambling like my last post.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Hey all,

Dumzo.

recommendation: back up your stuff and do a fresh re-boot. whenever i have blackberry problems, a reboot always fixes the issue. if it doesn't, take it into the store...but be assertive. the way you are treated in a wireless store all depends on how you come across. i have come in and through bargaining i have gotten an ebay blackberry replaced with a new blackberry, all because i am new and they want to please. just be assertive and you will get what you want...it's give and take with wireless companies
Closed Thread