Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t
Default new 8820 report / Yahoo! Go question

Please Login to Remove!

i upgraded 8800 to 8820 yesterday (ordered by phone thursday and got fedexed). despite a lot of time and effort, i have been unsuccessful (and a webmaster friend who checked over my work also was unsuccessful) associating the 8820 with my WEP-secured home wi-fi network (which is linksys, 5Mbps down, 600kbps up, and solid as a rock). keep getting some "Unknown Network Failure." at&t couldn't help (although they did send me ideas below) and eventually a very courteous first level rim/blackberry tech asked if he could have to have someone call me back monday, which i said i'd appreciate. i'll report later if home wi-fi association issue works out.

separately, i loved Yahoo! Go on my 8800. but now with my 8820, i find myself completely unable on the 8820's browser to get to a "Download now" page for Yahoo! Go. i am beginning to think like some other models, Yahoo! Go will not work with 8820 <?>. any ideas / experiences on that appreciated. regards, bt

From: [email address] [mailto:customer_servicenr@cingular.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:19 PM
To: [me]
Subject: Configure a Wi-Fi Network Connection Profile for a 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

The following is a Cingular ATG(R) eServer solution:

ID: KB82628

Goal Configure a Wi-Fi Network Connection Profile for a 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

Goal Scan for an Available Wi-Fi Network with a RIM BlackBerry 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

Goal Manually Add an Wi-Fi Network with a RIM BlackBerry 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

Fact BlackBerry Handheld Software version 4.2

Fact RIM BlackBerry 8820

Symptom Configure a Wi-Fi Profile for a 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

Symptom Wi-Fi Set Up Wizard for a RIM BlackBerry 8820 using Handheld Software Version 4.x

Symptom Wi-Fi

Change
Informational Only | Limited Support: This solution is intended for informational purposes only. AT&T provides network, billing, and provisioning support for the wireless voice and data networks. Although some AT&T handsets offer Wi-Fi functionality, these devices cannot use the Wi-Fi Connect service. The instructions below depict the steps to scan for an available network and manually add a network. AT&T supports enabling Wi-Fi on the device, but does NOT provide technical support or advanced troubleshooting for configuring a Wi-Fi network connection profile. Additional support beyond this article must be directed to one of the following:

If troubleshooting a corporate network, please contact your IT/System Administrator.
If troubleshooting a home network, please contact the Wi-Fi equipment manufacturer.
If troubleshooting a public network (hotspot), please contact the Wi-Fi network provider.
NOTE: For further assistance with an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot, please contact AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot support.

Fix
RIM BlackBerry 8820 Keypad Layout

There are two options to configure a Wi-Fi network connection profile. By default, when a new Wi-Fi profile is created it will appear at the bottom of the Wi-Fi profile list.

Prerequisite

Turn the Wi-Fi signal on

Option 1- Scan for an available Wi-Fi network

Scroll to and select the Manage Connections icon (to select press the trackball in).
Scroll to and select Set Up Wi-Fi Network.

Scroll to and select Next.

Highlight and select Scan For Networks.

If prompted, highlight and select Turn Wi-Fi on.

The RIM BlackBerry will search for available Wi-Fi networks.

Select the desired Wi-Fi network.
NOTE: If no network is found, the device may be too far away from a Wi-Fi access point/router. Additionally, the Wi-Fi network name may be hidden as intended by the Wi-Fi network admin, and as a result is not searchable. In either instance, please proceed with Part 2 below if there is a desire to manually setup the connection.

Press the Menu key, then select Connect.

If prompted, enter the appropriate security credentials, then scroll to and select Connect.

The RIM BlackBerry will connect to the Wi-Fi network.

To save the Wi-Fi network connection as a profile (for ease of use at a later time), scroll to and select Yes.
NOTE: The BlackBerry device can connect to a Wi-Fi network without saving the connection as a profile. However, each subsequent connection to that Wi-Fi network will require the BlackBerry device user to complete Set Up Wi-Fi.

Enter the desired profile name, then scroll to and select Next.

If connecting to a public network (hotspot), scroll to and select Wi-Fi Hotspot Login to open the captive portal in the browser.
IMPORTANT: A captive portal will open in the browser to specify payment options and/or security credentials. Payment options or security credentials may be required to access the public network (hotspot) and may vary depending on the network provider. Please contact the Wi-Fi network provider for more information.

Scroll to and select Finish.

Option 2 - Manually Add a Wi-Fi Network
NOTE: In general, manual setup of a Wi-Fi network requires the user know the Wi-Fi network name (SSID) as well as security password.

Scroll to and select the Manage Connections icon (to select press the trackball in).
Scroll to and select Set Up Wi-Fi Network.

Scroll to and select Next.

Scroll to and select Manually Add Network.

Enter the Network Name (SSID), then scroll to and select Add.

If prompted, enter the appropriate security credentials, then scroll to and select Connect.

The RIM BlackBerry will connect to the Wi-Fi network.

To save the Wi-Fi network connection as a profile, scroll to and select Yes.
NOTE: The BlackBerry device can connect to a Wi-Fi network without saving the connection as a profile. However, each subsequent connection to that Wi-Fi network will require the BlackBerry device user to complete Set Up Wi-Fi.

Enter the desired profile name, then scroll to and select Next.

If connecting to a public network (hotspot), scroll to and select Wi-Fi Hotspot Login to open the captive portal in the browser.
IMPORTANT: A captive portal will open in the browser to specify payment options and/or security credentials. Payment options or security credentials may be required to access the public network (hotspot) and may vary depending on the network provider. Please contact the Wi-Fi network provider for more information.

Scroll to and select Finish.

If unable to configure a Wi-Fi network connection profile

Verify Wi-Fi network status
If unable to detect connection information, perform a Site Survery to determine the connection information.
If unable to configure a network connection profile, please escalate accordingly for assistance with configuration and settings specifc to the network:
If troubleshooting a corporate network, please contact your IT/System Administrator.
If troubleshooting a home network, please contact the Wi-Fi equipment manufacturer.
If troubleshooting a public network (hotspot), please contact the Wi-Fi network provider.
NOTE: For further assistance with an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot, please contact AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot support.

Suggest a Fix