BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
thebrown

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default What is the best e-mail / address book client for Mac?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi -

I just got a Tour (I'm new to Blackberries), and I'd love your recommendations for what e-mail / address book / calendar software client I should start using.

I'm on a mac (MacBook, OSX, 10.5.7), using Eudora (v 6.2.3) for over 10 years. BUT ... Eudora doesn't seem to have a sync for blackberries - or I haven't found it - so I fear I need to change up.

I have half a dozen e-mail accounts, and over 2000 contacts. I'd like to sync contacts both ways (mac to handheld, and handheld to mac) without duplicating entries. I don't mind cleaning up my address book by hand once, prior to first sync, but I don't want to do it everytime I sync (a problem I had years ago with Palm Desktop). I'd like the emails I send from my Blackberry to be sync'ed to my Sent Items e-mail folder on the computer, if possible - but don't think I need any other e-mail functions to sync.

I'm on a budget, but would appreciate all advice for good e-mail / address book software, or any links to a good and up-to-date software comparison review (I haven't found any written since 2008).

Very much appreciated ... thank you,
T.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

firstly, you cannot sync sent emails.
secondly to sync you need either MissingSync or PocketMac
or wait till around the 5th of august to see Desktop Manager for the Mac.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
thebrown

Model: Tour

Thanks - I've got PocketMac already, but it won't talk to my Eudora address book.

It offers to sync with the mac Address Book, or Entourage, LotusNotes, MeetingMaker, and NowContacts ... but no options for Eudora. I could also use a .mac account, I believe - but I don't currently use or know much about .mac accounts or any of the above programs.

I guess my question is: I don't know these programs and, if I'm being forced to change from Eudora, I want to start using the program that will work most seamlessly with my blackberry. So - any advice on which program to choose?

Or, does Missing Sync work with Eudora (haven't tried that yet...)

Thanks for responding,
T.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

no idea, dont have a mac.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

If I didn't have a BES I'd pay for a hosting solution as the intergration is that much better. Unsure on Mac if Entourage offers all the functionality of Outlook but it's likely the closest.

If that is not an option I'd go with a Gmail account as they are soon to roll out a gmail for BB solution that will be close to Outlook/BES.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Entourage is the best as it is the Mac version of Outlook. Not as complete as Outlook, but as close as you're going to find. There are a few hosted BES solutions that offer Mac/Entourage support, but as Midnightdraven says, the Mac Desktop for BlackBerry is going to make life much easier for Mac users. Finally!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
asrassoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550

I run a Macbook PRO with Entourage and a PC with Outlook both tied to a hosted exchange server (Mailstreet). Seeems to be the best solution for me.

If you are comoing from using Outlook on a PC Entourage takes some getting used to. I do not like it near as wekk as OL (can't believe I just said that).

Supposedly MAC OS 10.6 (snow lepord, i think) will offer exchange support for native mail, ical and contacts. SO... goodbye Entourage..

I have been playing around with an ipod touch (Via WiFi) with activesync set up on top of BES through Mailstreet. This is currenlty the closest thing I know of to what I think 10.6 will offer. The one thing I REALLY LIKE about this set up is the ability to look at and sync BOTH of my calendars wirelessly via exchange/activesync which i cannot do via BES. Almost made me want to buy an ipohne for my weekend phone
Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Try syncing calendar and contacts to Google Sync and then to the BB and Entourage.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I like the built in address book, calendar and email. They are free and they work just as good as Eudora and Entourage, IMHO.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I like the built in address book, calendar and email. They are free and they work just as good as Eudora and Entourage, IMHO.
Those are my overwhelming favorites too. The long-awaited, long-rumored, near-release Mac BlackBerry Desktop Software should make them all integrate smoothly with BlackBerry devices. Fingers crossed anyway. Mac OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" should add the missing exchange support, finally giving us Mac users parity with the Windows world.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Those are my overwhelming favorites too. The long-awaited, long-rumored, near-release Mac BlackBerry Desktop Software should make them all integrate smoothly with BlackBerry devices. Fingers crossed anyway. Mac OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" should add the missing exchange support, finally giving us Mac users parity with the Windows world.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
jabohn@rogers.blackberry.

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

The built-in Mail / Address Book / iCal offers so many benefits because they work in tandem and are accessible from so many other apps.
Closed Thread