Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
dietcokefiend
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Loose back cover?

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else have a back cover that likes to unlatch itself while using your phone? Its like the little plastic nub barely catches on the latch, and the smallest amount of pressure makes it unlatch and pop off in your hand. The back cover also easily bends in when holding the thing for typing. Seems like pretty cheap construction, but what can you expect for something that was free under a 2 year contract?

Should I be trying to get a replacement back cover, or is this a somewhat common problem? The plastic catch is probably 1-2mm tall, so its not a real positive catch to begin with.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

yep.. my back cover is loose also... its less than 2months old.. exactly like yours...
if its not from china it must be a fake ;)

the online store has the back covers... unless someone has replaced theirs.. we might never know.... if its the phone or the back cover itself thats at fault...
having said that...... being in australia... getting a new back cover.. means i might have to send the phone away for warranty.. which isnt really an option atm.

Last edited by muck; 02-05-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Very common problem. It's been talked about many times on the forums.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Try folding a business card in half and putting in between your battery and the cover. It should apply just enough pressure to keep it shut.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Try folding a business card in half and putting in between your battery and the cover. It should apply just enough pressure to keep it shut.

It is always the simple answers that amaze me the most. I tried it and it worked. That cover was driving me nuts when I would pull my phone out of its holster.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep
It is always the simple answers that amaze me the most. I tried it and it worked. That cover was driving me nuts when I would pull my phone out of its holster.
Ya it is a very simple solution to a very common problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
creep3

Carrier: t-mobile

I have the same problem. I have noticed that holding the latching clip down then putting on the cover helps for me. Its no longer really an issue to me.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
BobMarley
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120

I took the spring out and pulled it out, just a little, then reassembled, it was better, I'll try the card thing now.
Motorola TimePort: 98 - 02
Motorola Microtac: 92 - 98
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I found putting more pressure.. the business card.. between the battery and the cover just made things worse. It pushed the back away from the latch instead of letting it stay closed.

I ended up (after getting a replacement from T-Mobile) stuffing some foam under the latch on the inside of the case, and using some adhesive/tape across the side on the inside to make sure the foam stays in. Works just fine now. I'll take some pictures tonight.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

I Have said this before: to have to make modifications on a device worth $400 is ridiculous!
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 02-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
SirCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Alternatively .. you could just get a silicone (or other) skin/sleeve that will encompass the phone wholly - & not enable the back to slide open
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCharles
Alternatively .. you could just get a silicone (or other) skin/sleeve that will encompass the phone wholly - & not enable the back to slide open
I had a case for a while, but I decided I didn't want one. Plus, I like to be able to open it, even if I never actually have to.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBChristopher
I Have said this before: to have to make modifications on a device worth $400 is ridiculous!
I sort of agree... on something like this, I totally agree. Especially given how impressive everything else about the device is, you'd think they coulda gotten something as simple as this right.

On the other hand, everything else about it is so amazing that I will do whatever it takes to be able to use it. And I've fixed the problem for myself.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, I will agree as well...having to worry about the cover falling off should be the least of my worries on this phone....cover falling off on a tv remote is one thing but on a expensive phone like this is something different. I am suprised their quality guys did not force them to fix this issue.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
dmlv

Model: 8300

I just got my second 8100c and the battery is perfect and fits snug.

I'm not 100% certain but I thought my first one had a small foam type pad on the back cover that pushed on the battery. I remember the cover kind of bowing out a little. When I would type a message, the cover would accasionally slide off...drove me crazy.

Maybe RIM recognized and fixed the issue. Anyone just get the pearl and still have battery cover issues?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
raa0425

Carrier: t-mobile

I got my Pearl about three weeks ago, and the one thing I noticed was how hard it was for me to get the battery cover off. Hopefully, I won't have to get in there too often.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlv
I just got my second 8100c and the battery is perfect and fits snug.

I'm not 100% certain but I thought my first one had a small foam type pad on the back cover that pushed on the battery. I remember the cover kind of bowing out a little. When I would type a message, the cover would accasionally slide off...drove me crazy.

Maybe RIM recognized and fixed the issue. Anyone just get the pearl and still have battery cover issues?
I just got a replacement (because of the battery cover) and still had the issue. The foam on the back made it worse, but removing it didn't solve the problem for me completely. Of course, the replacement from T-Mobile is probably a refurb, so they may have fixed the problem in newly manufactured ones. Friend of mine got a Cingular one a couple of weeks ago and hasn't had any issues with it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #18
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default I found the solution!

ok I have found a solution that works great for me.

I was trying to figure out how to keep something from sliding in general...went back to the basic....

Of course sticky things prevent things from moving...
obviously I couldn't put double sided tape because I wouldn't be able to latch the cover into place, so I had to come up with something a little less sticky.

Then it came to me....use electrical tape!
I put one piece on the battery....put the cover on....still came off fairly easy...another piece on top of that one....the cover had a harder time coming off....so I put a 3rd piece on...shazam! The cover all be it a little harder than what I would want put into place stuck like glue. noticed it was still a little weak around the camera area so I put a single piece directly below the camera...now I have had absolutely no problems with the cover.

kinda sad that I had to do it though for how much the phone cost.

/I guess the engineering classes are paying off
//at least a little
///should be studying for a test tomorrow
////maybe sleeping
Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #19
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I put a few tiny pieces of foam under the latch on the inside and then an adhesive across it so the foam will stay in place. Works perfectly for me.

Pictures:
_MG_1877 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
_MG_1878 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!