Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #81
THE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Good white paper.

We look forward to the release of todMatrix 2001D which will anticipate unexpected mystery issues and automatically schedule them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
We are very close - but nailing a date in the software development business is an elusive pursuit. Just when you think you have it done, one more mystery issue pops up that takes far more time than you ever imagined.

Because we are so close to release, we have posted the ToDoMatrix Best Practices white paper on our website. This paper discusses how we believe this tool can be best used and highlights key new features. We strongly recommend that all ToDoMatrix customers print and read it to better understand why the 7D release is such a major leap in capability.

Here is the link:
ToDoMatrix: Best Practices White Paper

Warm Regards,

--the REXguys--
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #82
geggyta516

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

The whitepaper is excellent. I appreciate Rex giving us a framework for how to use their product. It really does all come down to putting consistent best practices in place to manage your life.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #83
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE View Post
Good white paper.

We look forward to the release of todMatrix 2001D which will anticipate unexpected mystery issues and automatically schedule them for you.
Lets just hope RIM comes up with a way to cram a lot more pixels on a that small screen by then or we might top out on dimensions long before our future premonition subsystem can be included.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #84
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Lets just hope RIM comes up with a way to cram a lot more pixels on a that small screen by then or we might top out on dimensions long before our future premonition subsystem can be included.
I will jot down the premonition subsystem for 2008? Looking forward to it!! (haha)
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #85
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Heck, if we're good enough at premonitions, we won't need screens!

(Screens? Where we're going you won't need screens... )
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #86
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

I just wanted to throw in my support for ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix. As I have been using computers, and buying software since the Apple2e and VIC20, I have often felt that support often breaks otherwise good software. The folks at ToDoMatrix offer the best support I have ever seen. I have tossed them ideas directly from the software, which is great, and got responses sometimes in a minute or less.

Once I wrote to them in an airport because my 7 day trial had expired just as I was about to enter in some information. They immediately extended my trial. And when I got to a PC, I bought the application.

I have shown off ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix to several people I know. Honestly, I think that's an application that can actually cause the purchase of the Blackberry itself.

If you juggle clients, and their needs, you need this software. Never worry about forgetting to followup with a client again. It is very common to ask a colleague for help, or contact a client with a question, and then have that client forget to respond. And without that response it is easy to let the issue itself fall from your memory for a while before you remember it, and re-focus your efforts on what needs to be done. It's common in my experience to use client or colleague response as part of a workflow reminder, and it's simply not a reliable way to conduct a process that needs to adhere to a schedule.

This is why ToDoMarix is such a great tool. You set up a tiered alert, and organize it in a tree of clients. At a glance you see that there are action items associated with clients, and you know right away you have un finished business to address. You setup reminders so that you can dismiss one, your action of sending a question for example, but you can set a secondary so that if you fail to get a response in a specific amount of time, you're still reminded that the ball in is your clients court. You will be so much more on top of the needs of your clients, that they will notice this, and rely on you more. And a client that relies on you is a client for life.

I'm so glad I ran into this application. You guys are on to something. You guys should even consider getting some venture capital and hiring a staff to go talk to larger businesses and grow the company. You certainly have the killer product.

Best,

Alex
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #87
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggyta516 View Post
The whitepaper is excellent. I appreciate Rex giving us a framework for how to use their product. It really does all come down to putting consistent best practices in place to manage your life.
FYI, very sorry that its two weeks late but the new version of ToDoMatrix documentation that accompanies this release (and white paper) has been posted at:
REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Support Center

Thanks,

--the REXguys
Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #88
jsanchez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZW
Default A very good call

As a 3 month follow up to the thread I started, I wanted to thank the forum members that pushed me toward RexWireless. These apps are deep. It took about two weeks to really understand the design. Now, TodoMatrix and IdeaMatrix are already my most used applications after email. I now have 1250 todos in over 200 folders and the software has not missed a beat. Whats really cool is that it makes 1200 todos easy to manage and navigate. I have contacted support 5 or 6 times and got an avg response time of 2 hours with the longest delay no more than 3.

Most expensive software I have ever bought for any handheld and it turns out the best by far. Thanks again and I highly recommend rexwireless.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #89
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D

It is amazing software. These guys have hit the nail on the head. There ought to write-ups in the wall street journal about this software. It's so impressive. Everyone in business would love this application. You just need to get it to their attention. It makes regular todos feel as sloppy as jotting down notes on a table napkin.

-Alex Alexzander
Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #90
MadDog_
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
It took about two weeks to really understand the design. Now, TodoMatrix and IdeaMatrix are already my most used applications after email. I now have 1250 todos in over 200 folders and the software has not missed a beat. Whats really cool is that it makes 1200 todos easy to manage and navigate.
OK. I have these too and I'm finding the learning curve steeper than apparently you did, and struggling to make myself as productive as I know these apps can, so I have to ask:

What did you find helped you climb the learning curve so quickly and make these apps so productive?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #91
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

MadDog_,

Check these out my friend, these should help:
The Documentation then Support sections in that order:
REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Support Center

Hope that helps you out some
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #92
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

In addition to the links dablackberryboy listed, the latest version adds a lot of features. You may find it easier to keep it simple and get rid of D4 through D7 (properties page) and put together your todo lists as simple as possible. I was using a "Work->Site:project" folder format, but I've been trying the RW suggested "Site->Project" format. I think the former has a less cluttered display.

Then, when your done with that, go back and add the contexts you think are important. For me D4 and D7 are two I've been using. I still have the others displayed but really don't use them. I find if I try and do it all at one time while learning the software, you spend too much time setting it up and trying to figure out a system at the same time. When going back to add contexts, I find the desktop makes it easier. I haven't played around with the filters but they seem pretty powerful.

Admittedly, I've not been using the program for a few weeks as I've been toying with a WM/Blackberry Connect device, but I'm back to my 8800 and need to reorganize tM.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #93
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default BlackBerry Task Management and ToDoMatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
OK. I have these too and I'm finding the learning curve steeper than apparently you did, and struggling to make myself as productive as I know these apps can, so I have to ask:

What did you find helped you climb the learning curve so quickly and make these apps so productive?

In our opinion, having a good handle of your personal process is most important, more important than our applications per se. The sword is only as deft as the hand that holds it.

Once you decide what formula you will be
(it can be as simple as:
1) I will write every item down without fail
2) I will review my entire list every morning from 8 - 8:15 am with a cup of coffee and once more after lunch from 1 - 1:15 pm, and
3) I will knock out my top 3 items every day without excuses,)
then ToDoMatrix becomes far more productive.

The folks that struggle tend to change the formula depending on how hectic the day is and that is usually not a great idea.

If you are struggling a bit with process, we suggest listening to the David Allen Getting Things Done audiobook the next time you will have a 3 hour flight or drive. Mr. Allen is a task management "process" thinker and even if you don't adopt his methods, his thinking is very helpful in formulating your own personal process.

In short, it comes down to good process and good habits. We are just doing our part to enable flexible task management on the BlackBerry because we feel that managing tasks belongs on an always-with-you device, not on a PC that stays on a desk even when you do not.

Regards,

--the REXguys
Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #94
MadDog_

Thanks. I've picked it up quite a bit since I posted this, reviewing the White Paper and just "getting in the habit." I see the difference already.

I have Covey's book, never read it though. so I've dusted it off. I've also ordered Allen's GTD (written & audio), so I'm committed to make this work.

Thanks for the additional tips on personal process. I can see how this can get out of control and some forced discipline is what I need. I especially like the "knock out my top 3 items every day without excuses", which is why I'm sitting here now close to midnight.

Last edited by MadDog_; 11-26-2007 at 02:44 AM..
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #95
jnyost

Model: 9550

Still waiting for the desktop application for this to be worth it. Most of the time I work without internet access, not sure why the web access was developed first. Seems bass ackwards to me...

Jared
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #96
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
Still waiting for the desktop application for this to be worth it. Most of the time I work without internet access, not sure why the web access was developed first. Seems bass ackwards to me...

Jared
I would venture to say maybe they were wanting to build a lite version for their product initially, not device specific then probably switched gears. I do agree, the interface needs work, and they (Rexguys) have discussed a AJAX based version for the RexDesktop, but no time table right now.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #97
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

I read jnyost post as looking for a desktop, not web based, client so he can use it without internet access. You'd have to connect your BB to the PPC and sync it using DM.

Personally, I don't see much use for a desktop client. When I'm not in internet range I just use my blackberry. I don't use the web page all that much when I have internet coverage. Don't know if RW plans to produce a desktop client. From their forums they seem to be very, very busy with whatever it is they're cooking up, probably the Outlook integration. I guess that would solve some of the desktop client issues.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #98
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I read jnyost post as looking for a desktop, not web based, client so he can use it without internet access. You'd have to connect your BB to the PPC and sync it using DM.

Personally, I don't see much use for a desktop client. When I'm not in internet range I just use my blackberry. I don't use the web page all that much when I have internet coverage. Don't know if RW plans to produce a desktop client. From their forums they seem to be very, very busy with whatever it is they're cooking up, probably the Outlook integration. I guess that would solve some of the desktop client issues.

Regards-Michael G.
Thanks Michael, I stand corrected. I could see something like this being stored on your computer, maybe as an alternative to syncing back to the RW servers. I know Rex has said that if there is a need then they would consider, so try contacting them or posting on their forums, they come out every once and a while.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #99
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
I've also ordered Allen's GTD (written & audio), so I'm committed to make this work.

Thanks for the additional tips on personal process. I can see how this can get out of control and some forced discipline is what I need. I especially like the "knock out my top 3 items every day without excuses", which is why I'm sitting here now close to midnight.
Kind of a funny update to this.

I got the GTD audiobook on Monday, and ripped it onto my iPod. I listened to it yesterday, and wound up staying up till midnight, tearing up my place and starting to get organized. I saw a couple of things I literally hadn't seen in years (found that can of canned air I thought I had when I had dirt in my trackball). I even made a couple of trips to Office Depot for an Inbox, labeler, and file folders.

Pretty amazing how motivating I found that. I almost feel possessed now. Film at 11.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #100
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post

Jared
Well, our first thought was to support PC, Mac, and Linux people equally well... because of marketshare, the nature of desktop application development always results in Windows support first. A browser application fixes that. And wireless sync ensures that data stays safe, even when a person forgets to tether that USB cable.

We then figured out that there are plenty of people without daily net access or substandard internet speed - so the local desktop application started becoming a priority. We have a lot of customers in the military and wireless backup is just not available on an aircraft carrier or a submarine.

Although we believe that task management belongs on a wireless device, there are plenty of folks that are tied to Outlook on their desk, so that will be our next step.

Ultimately, it is likely that we will release a PC (and hopefully Mac and Linux) resident desktop in the future as well, but it will not be soon.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Closed Thread