Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #41
rdalemercer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Mark,
What's the difference between allowing bluetooth keyboard "transmissions" and OBEX that would allow us to see the called NAME ID via the Bluetooth stack?

Dale.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #42
denaliman

Model: 9780
Carrier: Rogers

I am new to this forum as well. I would love to see a keyboard for the 7100r.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #43
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalemercer
Mark,
What's the difference between allowing bluetooth keyboard "transmissions" and OBEX that would allow us to see the called NAME ID via the Bluetooth stack?

Dale.
That's a good question. I'm still trying to find out what's the security difference between keyboard transmissions and headset transmissions.

I don't think it's easier to snoop encrypted keyboard transmissions than snooping encrypted headset transmissions. I really would like to see RIM enable the "Keyboard HID" profile sometime this summer 2005, if possible.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #44
sharpycl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

I would definately like to have a bluetooth compatable keyboard for my BB 7290. Even though it already has a keyboard, I could type out memos and IM while on the go much faster with a keyboard.

Please RIM, make this happen.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #45
Coupdetat

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirson
Combined with the greater amount of memory on the 7100, this could actually replace my laptop on many trips.

Same, although I have a 7520.

I am getting good at thumb typing on the go (stoplights provide just enough time to reply to a few emails) it would be nice to have a full keyboard on trips.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #46
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Let's keep requesting now and then, this is a useful addition to BlackBerries. Eventually, RIM will have to enable the keyboard HID driver when it's 100% proven that there are no security differences to a bluetooth headset. And RIM can add a BES option to remotely disables Bluetooth, if the government customers of BlackBerry are still concerned about Bluetooth security...

Please click below to post your request that a Bluetooth keyboard driver be developed:

Post your request that a BlackBerry driver for Bluetooth keyboards be developed!

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-20-2005 at 10:33 PM..
Old 03-23-2005, 12:18 AM   #47
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800

It is a possibility that they may enable it, BUT, I highly doubt it. The huge security risk here is with our good friend the password. Someone sees you unfolding your keyboard, they start doing some packet capturing or sniffing or whatever, you type your password, and away you go.

What if they mate thier Bluetooth keyboard to your BlackBerry (you just finished typing an email and are putting it back into your pocket) and they pull out thier keyboard, and start typing an email...

If the Bluetooth keyboard can control the BlackBerry, then it has to have some sort of data communications, hard to isolate one section that is (or isn't) allowed bluetooth control.

And the last point i'm going to say...Look at how many headsets don't work...every manufacturer goes with thier own implimentation of Bluetooth (it's a hugely varying standard) but the BlackBerry goes with the strictest sense of the standard...the more a company deviates to the other end of that standard, the less likely that it will work with the BlackBerry.

There is an option on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to disable Bluetooth...it's done through an IT policy.

Zro
Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #48
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Isn't the Bluetooth transmissions encrypted?

Aren't headsets equally a security risk (recording private conversations?)

Is it easier to snoop on keyboard transmissions than snoop on headset transmissions?
Or are they equally encrypted?

It's true there's a security risk of someone watching someone enter a password, but that can also be done by watching the thumbtyping too.... although it's easier to conceal your thumb typing...

But speaking of transmissions, are keyboard transmissions encrypted just like headset transmissions, making both equally difficult to "sniff"?

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-23-2005 at 09:53 PM..
Old 04-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #49
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Bluetooth Keyboard

7100g user who would also love to see a Bluetooth external keyboard

Mark McPherson
Old 04-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #50
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

For RIM and ThinkOutside staff monitoring this thread (I've sent them emails to remind them)...

I've been enjoying my Bluetooth keyboard with my iPaq.

When can I use my Bluetooth keyboard with my BlackBerry?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #51
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Isn't the Bluetooth transmissions encrypted?
The greatest Bluetooth security concern is with OBEX, the object exchange protocol, since it allows data to be transmitted to/from the BB across Bluetooth, which seems to be functionality that RIM is trying to avoid... Hence the lack of an IR port, which would effectively support the same data transfer functionality... Realistically, RIM seems to want to ensure that the only way to transfer actual data to/from the BB is via the TCP/IP stack (until recently, strictly through a BES).

Currently, a BES IT Policy will allow Bluetooth to be disabled completely, or only certain functions of BT to be disabled (ie, Headset Profile, Handsfree Profile, Serial Port Profile, etc). There is no reason that the "Keyboard Profile" could not be added to this policy for those corporate customers who are concerned.

BT communications are (or can be) encrypted, whether via a headset or a keyboard, so the risk of interception is probably about equal with either device (ie, very slim).

The greater possible security concern with a keyboard, however, would be "bluejacking"... Somebody taking control of your BB via their own BT keyboard. This is a non-issue with a headset, since you can't actually control a BB from a headset.

However, devices are normally only susceptible to bluejacking due to flaws in the devices themselves, so I'm sure that RIM could build a secure solution... It might just take some more R&D time and certification to be able to justify implementing the HID profile. (For more information on various Bluetooth attacks and the devices that are vulnerable to them, there's a good article that can be found at http://www.thebunker.net/security/bluetooth.htm )

All in all, I too would very much like to see BT keyboard support on my 7290. Lack of an external keyboard is something I miss from my Palm T3.

Last edited by jdh; 04-18-2005 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Added Bluetooth Security Article Link
Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #52
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

My wife just got one of these keyboards, and they DO support encrypted transmissions. If Thinkoutside were to make a driver that would only support encrypted bonds then the whole security issue is down the drain...
Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #53
eddively

Model: 7100T

my 1st post...i would pay good money for a BT keyboard...
is there any included typing software you could use without buying the Office-type 3rd party apps?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #54
Pharma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: cingular

I bought the ThinkOutside keyboard when the 7100 first came out, but now it's just an expensive paperweight on my desk at home. Hopefully some day, then maybe I'll actually start using my 7100 again, oh wait, not until I can actually hear on it..lol

Need help? ...just ask
Old 04-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #55
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT
Default I'd buy a BT keyboard

I got the 7100g to so I could take my laptop on fewer trips. The keyboard would make it still fewer.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #56
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

I'd be happy with just limited Bluetooth keyboard functionality -- i.e. working only in a dedicated editor that the keyboard is permitted to work with. Then I can use the BlackBerry itself to copy and paste into an email, or another application.

That way, there's absolutely no security issues of somebody stealing your Bluetooth keyboard and then trying to control your BlackBerry remotely.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #57
skywriter

Model: 7290

i want ot USE a bluetooth keyboard on my 7290; a freedom keyboard. i use it on my SP3i fantastically, and would continue to use except our IT department allows blackberrys. i want to be effective like the SP3i!

Thanks!
John
Old 05-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #58
Don Carter

Default Keyboard for the 7100r

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of peripheral keyboard available that is compatible with the 7100r?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #59
spblat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

Here's another expression of interest in a BT keyboard, even one that's limited such that it only works in the memopad.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #60
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carter
Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of peripheral keyboard available that is compatible with the 7100r?
No. There are no keyboards for ANY current Blackberry models.
Closed Thread