Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
ichavis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Bold Reception: Better or worse than the curve

Please Login to Remove!

Wonder if any former Curve owners can chime in here. Have you noticed a difference between the quality of the reception on the curve versus the Bold on AT&T Im sort of on the fringe of reception where I am and always could make calls with my curve. I am having some problems with the Bold. Wonder if its just me or what? Does version of the version of the BB device software effect the signal quality or is that not a variable. All this could be me also and perhaps the change in seasons has something to do with it. any thoughts?

thanks, ira
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

This is a 3G issue. I have it too. The sound quality on the Bold is awesome but where you get to the fringe of 3G it sucks on holding the signal.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

thus far, I have noticed a major improvement over that of the bold in both voice and signal....
Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
mallocfailure

It's funny, but I can't tell if it's better or worse. I have two examples -
at the gym, my Curve usually had very spotty coverage, drifting from 1 bar to no bars. My Bold has no bars, and never seems to ever find any coverage - so it's definitely worse than the Curve.
At work, I'm in the center of a building, and my curve would show 1 - 2 bars, but I couldn't hold a conversation on it to save my life. With the Bold, I show the same level of 3g coverage, but I was able to have multiple conversations today with no issues at all - so I feel like at work it was much better!

How's that for a non-answer?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Most definitely worse for me. With the Curve, even though I had spotty reception at my house, I always got calls and could make calls most of the time. With the Bold, I rarely get a signal at all.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers

For me the Bold is MUCH MUCH better then my Curve 8310 because i had the Bold and i sold it cause i got the Touch Pro and i swear call drops way too much in my house with my touch pro...soo i sold that one and brought a brand new Bold again because it was alot better in everything anyways ^.^ and my sister have a Sony Ericcson W580i and she is sitting beside me and she will hav so much drop calls plus the other person can't hear her so well....and my gf has the Curve 8310 and same thing apply she will be sitting beside me and i will be on the phone i will be 100% fine and she will have drop call and the other person can't hear her....well the bottom line is that this does apply to every person different plus the house or building your living in really depends on what it was made out of and of course the service provider itself, are they good or bad or does the network coverage good over at where your are or not....many many reason for people that have no drops call or to thos that dosen't so i hope this help or maybe iam jus repeat what you guys know over and over again....iam just trying to help.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Just to chime in here! I've been dropping calls with my Curve 8310, my 8800, and my Nokia N95 on the regular the last couple of months. My brother seems to have the same problem with his 3G iphone! So I don't really think it's a device problem, 3G or not. I believe it's a network problem with at&t.

Any long time at&t customers will think back some time ago, and remember this was a problem back in the day! Well it looks like the death star is having problems with there network again. No idea how they plan on fixing it, but I can only guess that they jumped into 3G a lil to fast, and that's what is causing an overload on the network! Definitely not a Curve, Bold Problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
ichavis

Im still on the edge network...so i have no reference point for 3G coverage at least until mid december they say. Do the RIM engineers work on things like improving reception when the deploy new device software updates so could this get better when the sw gets updated or this is it pretty much?

thanks, Ira
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Just to chime in here! I've been dropping calls with my Curve 8310, my 8800, and my Nokia N95 on the regular the last couple of months. My brother seems to have the same problem with his 3G iphone! So I don't really think it's a device problem, 3G or not. I believe it's a network problem with at&t.

Any long time at&t customers will think back some time ago, and remember this was a problem back in the day! Well it looks like the death star is having problems with there network again. No idea how they plan on fixing it, but I can only guess that they jumped into 3G a lil to fast, and that's what is causing an overload on the network! Definitely not a Curve, Bold Problem.
Death STAR is right. I think Verizon is going to pick up some customers shortly.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
AndyJUK

Model: 8320
PIN: 2544432B
Carrier: Orange

If you have your blackberry set to 3g then it will attempt to get and retain a 3g signal over a 2g one.

If you set it to 2G you may find you get better signal in an area where you didnt get any previously
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
ichavis

Sorry to sound stupid but what setting changes that? I looked on the mobile network and dont see anywhere to change it but your suggestion makes sense.

ira
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.
Carrier: at&t

Yeah I've been having some issues switching from a weak 3G signal to EDGE, but since they just installed 3G here I'm not too surprised. But in a good signal area I get a little better reception with my Bold than I did with my Curve.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Death STAR is right. I think Verizon is going to pick up some customers shortly.
Heh, network problems coupled with the Storm coming out this month? Heck I might even be tempted!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Much better reception and better clarity with the Bold.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #15
justajason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310

I've noticed better sound quality with the bold. As for reception, the 3/ in my area is pretty strong and I still have dropped calls on 3g. As for EDGE, the service is a lot better.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #16
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bold has better sounding quality than the Curve. I have no problem with the quality of voice calls.

But it still drops my call over certain area when I drive home from Work and it's always the same spot. So I know it's not my Bold, it's AT&T. I would love to switch to Verizon if they don't lock their GPS to their software.
Blackberry 8800 - Past
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Like Stinsonddog said, VZW is going to make out and capitalize on these issues at&t is having! I hear some people jumpin over the fence now..lol Especially with the Storms price point set at $199 after rebates,,,oh boy! That's gonna hurt at&t after hittin customers over the head with such a high price tag on the Bold in a terrible economy!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN View Post
Heh, network problems coupled with the Storm coming out this month? Heck I might even be tempted!
We'll see how well "The Network" holds up as data use increases. With the Storm, as with the iphone for AT&T, millions more data users will come on line and put the soon to be largest US carries network to the task. I imagine they will have issues as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
raynicolini
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 28316DB1
Carrier: Toronto Wireless

If you are on AT&T network try downgrading to the Rogers Wireless Software version 4.6.0.162 it is a much better reliable software. no video problems free memory on startup is 45mb with at least 3 3rd party add ons.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichavis
Sorry to sound stupid but what setting changes that? I looked on the mobile network and dont see anywhere to change it but your suggestion makes sense.

ira
Not possible to set a att bold to 2g/edge only. See the stickied thread.
Closed Thread