Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
rustypixel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Curious about email receipt lag time

Please Login to Remove!

I'm curious to know what the average delay is in getting email to your BB via any personal domain email addresses. For example; if I send myself an email to my BB account (me@tmo.blackberry.net), I get the message almost instantly. But if I send to my personal domain email address (me@rustypixel.com), it takes an average (I've tried three times already) of 10 minutes before my BB gets the message. The interesting thing is that my replies from my BB are all getting back within a minute. Again, just curious.

Thanks.

Out of my mind and out of control!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Information on this can be found here: Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ

From the FAQ: This is available with all BWC accounts above. The BWC webmail site has a configuration that allows you to enter POP hostnames, usernames and passwords for a certain number of POP accounts. Your BWC will automatically check email every 15 minutes and forward a copy of messages to your BlackBerry. This is not true push email; you must send email directly to the @blackberry.net address (or use BES).

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 10-11-2007 at 09:02 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
I'm curious to know what the average delay is in getting email to your BB via any personal domain email addresses. For example; if I send myself an email to my BB account (me@tmo.blackberry.net), I get the message almost instantly. But if I send to my personal domain email address (me@rustypixel.com), it takes an average (I've tried three times already) of 10 minutes before my BB gets the message. The interesting thing is that my replies from my BB are all getting back within a minute. Again, just curious.

Thanks.
Does your personal domain email address have forwarding capability? If so, you can instruct that domain to automatically forward each incoming email to your blackberry email address, which will then receive it virtually instantly. When you do it that way, you don't even need to have register your personal domain in BIS. My personal email address is with Earthlink, which has this option available on its webclient...works like a gem. I did a test earlier this week, and found it beat the traditional Blackberry "polling" method by up to 15 minutes.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
rustypixel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'd be willing to try this, but won't my replies show the email as coming from my Blackberry email?

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
Does your personal domain email address have forwarding capability? If so, you can instruct that domain to automatically forward each incoming email to your blackberry email address, which will then receive it virtually instantly. When you do it that way, you don't even need to have register your personal domain in BIS. My personal email address is with Earthlink, which has this option available on its webclient...works like a gem. I did a test earlier this week, and found it beat the traditional Blackberry "polling" method by up to 15 minutes.

Out of my mind and out of control!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
I'd be willing to try this, but won't my replies show the email as coming from my Blackberry email?

Thanks for the replies.
You can set up BIS to instruct it to use any email address you choose. Mine look like they're coming from my earthlink account even though I'm sending them from the Blackberry device. This goes for replies or for new emails you generate...it's all handled in your BIS settings. And you can have different settings for each email account in the event you're having more than one sent to your Blackberry.
Closed Thread