Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Mike_Luchia

Model: 7130C
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default 7130e will not disconnect

Please Login to Remove!

Good afternoon all,

I have a 7130e that will connect to the desktop software the first time I connect after rebooting the computer. It shows up fine in the device manager also. When I disconnect the 7130e it does not disconnect and still shows in the device manager. When I plug it back in again the desktop software does not detect the blackberry again. I have to disconnect the Blackberry from the computer, reboot and then re-connect the Blackberry to get it to be detected again.

I have updated to the most current software, uninstalled and reinstalled the software but the problem remains.

Any idea how I can disconnect and reconnect more than once and still have it detected each time? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

XP or Vista?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Mike_Luchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
XP or Vista?
You are right, I should of been more detailed.

Dell 9400
Windows XP Home SP2 and all updates.
1 GB RAM
Only other USB device connected is a USB mouse, problem is present even without mouse connected.

Sorry for the lack of detail in the first one, please let me know if you need to know any further info I have missed.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

When you unplug the BB do you have any BB related icons left in the system tray (next to clock)?????
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Mike_Luchia

Yes, I have the BB Device Manager in the tray, BB connected or not. The first time I connect the BB the Device Manager shows the BB connected, however once I disconnect the BB and then reconnect it, the Device Manager does not show it connected again.

When the device is disconnected, the Device Manager does not show the BB connected but the Windows Device Manager still shows it as connected in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers\Blackberry Device. This state of showing in the Windows Device Manager as connected, but not showing in the BB Device Manager remains this way until the next reboot.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Then that is the issue..... A windows thing.... try removing Desktop manager from windows control panel and reboot after that make sure it is really gone... Then try a reinstall of DM...
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Mike_Luchia

Nope, no difference after re-installing. Connects the first time, but once unplugged, the computer needs to be rebooted for the BB to be detected again.

:(
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Odd... Do you show it listed under (right mouse click) my computer >> Properties >> Device Manager??
Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Mike_Luchia

Yes it is listed there, plugged in or not.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
smilingburgers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

**I would recomend unpluging anything connected via USB first**

In the past I have had some luck with USB issues by unistalling the USB controllers in the Device Manager and then allowing XP to re-detect them.

Trying that may fix this glitch. It should not hurt anything major.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
cruzer3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default sugesstion

I have had a problem like that and I found out it was the USB cable.
At first i thought it was my USB port and did everything uninstalled controllers, software but still occured. Then I tried a different USB cable and it seems the cable is bad.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Mike_Luchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer3 View Post

I have had a problem like that and I found out it was the USB cable.
At first i thought it was my USB port and did everything uninstalled controllers, software but still occured. Then I tried a different USB cable and it seems the cable is bad.
I had a second cable, and tried that but with no luck, as the same with uninstalling the USB connections.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

Have you tried doing a complete clean install? removing all the programs, registry entries, drivers? I had a similar problem and I was able to fix it with a clean uninstall. The regular add/remove program uninstall wasn't clearing everything, so I did a manual search for files and regedit scrub. it finally worked.

I will caveat that this was several OS and desktops ago.

r2
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Mike_Luchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003402 View Post
Have you tried doing a complete clean install? removing all the programs, registry entries, drivers? I had a similar problem and I was able to fix it with a clean uninstall. The regular add/remove program uninstall wasn't clearing everything, so I did a manual search for files and regedit scrub. it finally worked.

I will caveat that this was several OS and desktops ago.

r2
I have come about as close to that as I can. Uninstalled the program, manually deleted any remaining directories, and used RegVac to clean the registry but still no go. I am starting to think that this might be the only solution, is a complete reinstall of the operating system.

I have ordered a Bluetooth kit from Dell for my 9400, I will just have to wait and see if Bluetooth works any more consistantly.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
Ideasmiths
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Luchia View Post
I have come about as close to that as I can. Uninstalled the program, manually deleted any remaining directories, and used RegVac to clean the registry but still no go. I am starting to think that this might be the only solution, is a complete reinstall of the operating system.

I have ordered a Bluetooth kit from Dell for my 9400, I will just have to wait and see if Bluetooth works any more consistantly.
Have you checked the BB firmware? If that is not then....

From my guts feel, it is the USB cable. From your post you mentioned you have a 2nd cable, but there are a subtle difference. Some HDD and old USB devices needed an older type of cable.

What you can try is to install the Desktop manager on another computer and plug in the Blackberry to see if it detects. If it display the same sympton then it is the cable. Combinations of testing includes using another USB cable, using another Blackberry on your existing laptop. ie anything from doing the final and time consumping reinstallation of OS.

It's either the USB port/cable/Blackberry USB port/BB Device/BB DM/BB firmware.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #16
leach2348

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default fix to connection problem

After an exhaustive search, I finally found a fix to the connection issues between the blackberry handheld and the desktop manager! It has nothing to do with the latest version of software (although I'm glad I downloaded that too!) Here is it (especially for the guy with the Inspiron 9400 laptop, as that is what I have as well)...

Disable the Power Management on the USB Root Hub in the Device Manager using the following steps:
1. On the desktop computer, right-click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES.
2. Click the HARDWARE tab, then click DEVICE MANAGER.
3. Expand UNIVERSAL SEREIAL BUS CONTROLLERS.
4. Right-click the USB ROOT HUB and select PROPERTIES.
5. Click the POWER MANAGEMENT tab, and then remove the check from the ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER check box.
6. Click OK.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

As soon as I got to the USB Root Hub that controls the port I was using for my BB, I received a tone that informed me that my BB connected, and sure enough, I was able to Sync without having to reboot my computer!

(The above fix is courtesy of BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot detect the BlackBerry device)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #17
cjwworld

Model: 7130e
PIN: and you said "What?!"
Carrier: Alltel

I had to go into device manager (right click on my computer, select properties) select Hardware tab and click on device manager. Select or highlight ports, do a right click and select scan for hardware changes.

It scans then it will find your connection.

This will save more time, you do not have to reboot
Closed Thread