Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
BoogieNYC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Heyas All...Soon-To-Be BB8703e Owner

Please Login to Remove!

Heyas all...

After seven Palms/PalmPilots/Pilots (over about ten years), I finally accepted that I need to toss my Razr, my Lifedrive and the Palm Desktop and trade up...so I'm going for an 8703e thru Verizon. I already transferred everything into Outlook from OE/Palm Desktop, so now it's just a question of getting some basic starter stuff (a case, a cradle, themes, etc.).

I think I'm going to nab Fortte's Open Face case -- thanks to the many folks who post here, it sounds like Fortte really is producing good stuff in terms of design and quality materials, so it's just a question of which one I'll prefer -- and since I don't do belt clips, the Open Face sans clip in either black or cognac. I originally wanted to get a clear plastic case like the Agent 18 one I've got for my Video iPod, but thanks to the people here, I discovered that the cases that have the "sleeper" magnets save battery life so I nixed the clear case plan.

Anyone with advice on the Boxwave cradle, let me know.

Thanks again for the great pre-advice re: Fortte...I'll post my thoughts once I have both the Fortte and the 8703e in hand.

-B-
Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Hey and welcome! You're way ahead oof the curve already.

I think you'll want a screenguard, I reaaally appreciate the ones I get from ScreenPatronus, google them or look on Ebay. No screen scratches and they LAST. I have never had the need for a cradle, but you might be used to having such.

Enjoy.

Last edited by JSanders; 03-08-2007 at 10:02 AM..
Old 03-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
BoogieNYC

Default Thanks...

I'm certainly not a newbie when it comes to dealing with mobile gear; but it's sort of daunting knowing that I'm giving up Palm Desktop after ten years of using that and Outlook Express. Overall, though, Outlook isn't too bad, and if the BB is as bulletproof, simple, intuitive and reliable as I've heard, I am not too worried about doing the switch for good.

I've got screen protector sheets that are designed to be cut to size so I probably won't need to buy any -- but I'll definitely look for the ScreenPatronus ones so I don't need to bother cutting to size. As for the cradle, I've used one for awhile for the Palm but not for the Razr, so I'm going to probably try and exist without a cradle for the time being. If I need one down the line I'll score a cradle; meanwhile, I've got a bunch of mini/USB cables (got two harmony remotes, two digital cameras and a data cable from the Razr). So no real point in bothering with a plastic stand when all I really need is a wall-plug USB charger and a PC-USB charger.

Now all I need to do is wait for 3/17 when my Razr is a year old and I can go get an 8703e ;)

Thanks for the welcome :D
Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Love my 8703e and my 2 Fortte cases, Welcome to the Forums!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
onlindis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Welcome!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
BoogieNYC

Smile Thanks again y'all!

Well...I've got two minor issues to consider. I've got two weeks until the year is up with Verizon and I can re-up and get an 8703e; the first question is since I got the fortte open-face case, will that have the sleeper magnet? And if not, I should probably get a case that has some sort of standby functionality, or a pouch, or something. I'll prolly just wait the two weeks, see how it goes, and go from there -- I live in NYC so if I really need to get a case and don't want to wait and/or pay for 'Net shipping, I can do so.

The other concern -- when is Verizon getting the 8800? Should I hold off getting the 8703e -- two weeks -- or roll the dice and see how long it will be until Verizon offers the 88 (I hear May/June).

I'm probably going to go with the 8703, but hot-damn, without the actual device in my paws, I'm entitled to go in circles, right?

Thanks again for the welcome...btw, Bruce -- which cases do you have? As indicated, I got the open-face one, and as per JS's suggestion, I'm going to get some screen protectors as well.

-B-
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BLACKBERRY 8703e (ALLTEL): BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Welcome to the community. I love my 8703e. Have you looked vajacases.com
Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
BoogieNYC

Default Vaja

Hey Mark,

I've known about Vaja for some time now...I had a Vaja for my 3G iPod (grey/white) and while it was great, it wound up being too pricey for what I needed (I wound up getting an Agent 18 and a Speck case for my 60G Video).

I bought a Fortte Open Face case in Cognac that wound up costing, with shipping and their BB Forums discount, about $40. The Vaja (Balance) costs $60 before any customization and takes longer to arrive. I've never seen or touched the Fortte, but even if their cases aren't quite as solid as Vaja's -- which is possible -- I'm satisfied that their workmanship is more than adequate, based on the reviews herein.

Aside from price, Vaja's cases are the best-made cases I've ever tried; including price, I personally would pick Fortte -- although I'll be in a better position to confirm this choice was a good one once I actually receive my case from Fortte

Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

-B-
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieNYC

Thanks again for the welcome...btw, Bruce -- which cases do you have? As indicated, I got the open-face one, and as per JS's suggestion, I'm going to get some screen protectors as well.

-B-
I have the STiL Vertical pouch

and the Glove Fit

I have the ScreenPatronous as recommended on Stinsonddog's TIPs site:
Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips Screen Protectors

ScreenPatronus, Screen protector - the difference is amazing.

I highly recommend SD's site. He has loads of info on the 8700.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #11
BoogieNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
I have the STiL Vertical pouch and the Glove Fit

I have the ScreenPatronous as recommended on Stinsonddog's TIPs site:

ScreenPatronus, Screen protector - the difference is amazing.[/url]

I highly recommend SD's site. He has loads of info on the 8700.
Nice Bruce -- I like both of those cases. I'm thinking I want to get a "full-time" case -- like the Glove Fit you have, or something akin thereto -- but I also want a case that is able to dump the BB into standby (ie the sleeper magnet). There's a variety of reasons why this is a good idea -- improved battery life, the holster profile change (being able to have the device ring or vibrate, ie do something differently in the holster and out of the holster), protection...it's all a bit overwhelming. I think the ideal case for me will be a combination of the two -- a leather "skin" like the Glove that also has some sort of drop-in, sleep-inspiring holster.

I might just wind up with a holster-type deal like the vertical pouch -- protection when in the case, with the sleeper/standby deal -- and then nothing much thereafter. Overall I think that will work fine for me.

Nice cases mon

PS Had to edit the quoted post -- I'm not at 10 posts yet
Closed Thread