Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
jasonhumph

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: maxis
Default Email wont automatically download images

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am having problems getting the bold to automatically download images on emails.. all my settings on each account are set to "automatically donwnload images" but each email that comes in just has an outline and I have to go to menu to download.. quite annoying, can anyone help?

Many thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
ddwithoutfear
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 2455243C
Carrier: TMobile

I may be wrong, as I dont have a bold... but i'm pretty sure that the only way to download the images is going through the menu.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Is HTML email enabled?

Messages > Options > Email Settings

If so make sure "download images automatically" is set to yes as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
ddwithoutfear

interesting, i was under the impression that you had to download manually, as i've always had to. But i see now, that under options, my bb is set to d/l automatically, but doesn't....
Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
jasonhumph

yep settings are set to html and automatic download..

but they dont...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

You will receive images that are embedded in the email automatically however, if the images are stored on a different server, then you must select menu, download images. You will also receive a prompt asking to verify, as your IP number may be exposed to the server containing the images. This is a security measure that's been built in. I don't believe there is a work-around.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
ddwithoutfear

thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
jasonhumph

hmm ok, this is pretty much on all my email where there are images though and ur right i get prompted on a security issue... i was using bbsmart viewer on the curve and html was great...on the bold the html emails just dont look right ...

ah well.. must say in early use, this email point and the tiny fonts on the browser (whatever happened to text wrap? min font size just doesnt work either) and having to always zoom and pan are really putting me off the device..
Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telcel

I'm having the same problem, can't find any way to fix this :(
Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers

Well like that other guy said you have to manual do it to display image then it will pop up a box and tell you "Downloading Image will reveal your address" sooo...then is ur choice to push "ok" or "Cancel"
Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
jasonhumph

hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.. forum over at crackbrry had a same thread and basically the Bold will learn what emails you will accept the images to be downloaded from. So, if you get an email from xyz, hit download images then accept the pop up warning, the next time you get an email from the same person it will automatically download the image.

Wierd but makes sense I guess..

Hope this solves the isses for everyone else have the same problem as me!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
kanga202

Model: 8707
Carrier: Voda
Default No

Yeah hi guys... this wont work for me... i have it all set up in the settings but im not getting any option to download images... only attachments... which just takes me to saving it somewhere???

Any ideas
Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
ecustomer

I am having the same problem with the following settings:

Enable HTML Email: Yes
Download images automatically: Yes

Another bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhumph View Post
Hi,

I am having problems getting the bold to automatically download images on emails.. all my settings on each account are set to "automatically donwnload images" but each email that comes in just has an outline and I have to go to menu to download.. quite annoying, can anyone help?

Many thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Caspan
No longer Registered.

This has been answered twice by me on the forum please make sure you do a search

1. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...es-emails.html

2. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...es-emails.html

It is a security feature it cannot be turned off. These devices are designed for security FBI, and other government people need to know the device is secure by design. As someone else mentioned above if the message you receive has inbedded images encapsulated in the email message you will see them. If someone sends you a HTML email with links to images from their server or someone else's you will not see them. There is only a few reason why in this day and age people don't use inbedded images in emails.

A. They are sending millions of theses emails and don't want to pay for traffic if only half will open them. By inbedding you only pay for what people have opened the email.

B. They are trying to confirm that you opened the email. By getting the pictures from their server you have told them that your email address is valid and that you opened the email. This is great for marketers and spammers

C. They want the ability to change the pictures after the email was sent. For instance a flyer that has a spelling mistake if inbedded as an image you cant change after. If its pulled from your server you just replace the image with a corrected one and no one is the wiser.

Sorry for the rant but this is by design and I applaud RIM for not letting you shoot your own foot of.

Last edited by Caspan; 12-12-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
MarvinK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I think is a good idea--but it seems only half-implemented. Nearly every major mail program has a similar option for manually showing images. The other piece, which doesn't actually seem to work on BlackBerry, is setting up an email address as "safe" or "trusted" so that it automatically downloads images--only for those email addresses you've manually added. If that's not secure enough for some government types, they would certainly have the option to disable it (or HTML altogether) on the BES.

If you say get images for an email, it seems like it might only cache those images--not put the sender in a safe list or automatically download images for future emails.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinK View Post
I think is a good idea--but it seems only half-implemented. Nearly every major mail program has a similar option for manually showing images. The other piece, which doesn't actually seem to work on BlackBerry, is setting up an email address as "safe" or "trusted" so that it automatically downloads images--only for those email addresses you've manually added. If that's not secure enough for some government types, they would certainly have the option to disable it (or HTML altogether) on the BES.

If you say get images for an email, it seems like it might only cache those images--not put the sender in a safe list or automatically download images for future emails.
You are thinking of half the problem though. If you start adding safe senders or domain to your phone then spammers just start sending out as major names like microsoft.com, etc.. and you have trusted them because why would this person send me bad email. Well they can get infected to send you email as well their domains can be spoofed.
Closed Thread