Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
LeeT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100r
PIN: 207B9C69
Carrier: Rogers
Default My Pearl Over Heated

Please Login to Remove!

Well the title says it all. Not to alarm anyone but, while it was in my pocked I felt my leg getting really warm and when i reached in to my pocked I found my blackberry burning up. So I quickly pulled the battery before anything went wrong, but it was so hot that if i waited any longer to pull the battery then it could have burned me, which would really have sucked. I have had my Pearl since they were released in early october and this is the first real problem I've had with it.

I did call rogers right away and I am going to pick up a new one this afternoon. this is the first i've heard of this problem, if there is anyone else who is experiencing this let me know.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Wow, scarry. I hope it's not a battery problem like all of the laptop companies were having.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

That is crazy; glad Rogers didn't give you problems and you are ok!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
phidauex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Just a possibly non-related note...

A few weeks ago I had a Sandisk 1gb microSD card fail inside my Motorola V360, causing it to get very hot!

One day I noticed the programs stored on the memory card weren't working. The phone showed that a card was installed, but nothing on it could be accessed. Then I noticed that the LCD display was flickering. I suspected a battery problem, but when I pulled the battery cover off, the area around the SD card was HOT!! I immediately pulled the battery, and removed the card. The SD card was so hot I could barely touch it. After everything cooled down, I tried the phone without a card, and it worked fine. I installed a different card, and it worked fine too (still is, to this day). I tried the offending HOT SD card in a cheap memory card reader, and as soon as i plugged it in, it mounted, but the files weren't accessible, and it started to heat up alarmingly fast. So I quickly pulled it.

I'm still dickering with Sandisk about their warranty on it, but in the mean time, its worth giving my little warning... Could be a bad SD card causing the heat!

peace,
sam
Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
LeeT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100r
PIN: 207B9C69

The SD card wasn't hot at all. When I put the battery back in, the battery instantly started to heat up again.

In the end I have a new berry and i'm ok.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

Wow. I just hope it was just that one battery and not a Pearl-wide issue.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Batteries have circuitry and various components just like other electronic devices. Once in awhile the manufacturing process [sometimes human error, but most likely a machine] goes wrong or the components are defective.

Sounds to me like your battery connections were misaligned causing "crossing" and heat generation.

What usually happens is the battery will attain a certain heat level and fry itself out to where all one knows is that the battery went dead.

As the other post noted about the Sony recall, some batteries will catch fire. But that is rare.

Sorry for your loss and the hassles.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
figsjohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its getting hot in herrrrrre. LOL
Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
nroberts16

I've had the same problem with my first pearl (Pearl 1). Rogers sent a replacement (Pearl 2). Then the battery died on the replacement. Rogers sent me another Pearl and battery. I put the battery in Pearl number 2. It suddenly got hot too. I removed the battery. Now Pearl 3 keeps rebooting and giving me the 547 JVM error even though I put on the latest OS from Rogers - oh that was because it wouldn't start in the first place.

I am now severly unimpressed with the Blackberry Pearl and am considering switching to something else. Although I will say that Rogers service has been great - replacements arrive in 24 hours.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

My pearl gets warm too, but not to the extent your talking about. BB should add some internal fans.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
brimart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 249986A9

I have not had that issue w/ the Pearl, but I did with my Razor right after I bought it. Really sucks when you feel your leg getting warm, not in an enjoyable sense.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimart View Post
I have not had that issue w/ the Pearl, but I did with my Razor right after I bought it. Really sucks when you feel your leg getting warm, not in an enjoyable sense.
Never had that happening with my Razr... well anyways I guess it's pretty much just a defective battery... and since someone else said it, it might be from only the Rogers distributed ones.... who knows.
Closed Thread