BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
MikeCheng

Model: CURVE
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default "Appointment deleted externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."

Please Login to Remove!

I seem to get this message on many of my calander entries when i try to edit them. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Elise Ackerman

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default "appointment deleted externally"

I've been having this issue with my new Blackberry Curve 8320. Does anyone know what is causing it?
Elise
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:39 PM..
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
sadrik

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell
Default Same error

I have the same error on one of my recurring entries.

I recently bought my own Internet Blackberry and gave my old BES Blackberry back to my old company when I quit. I backed up and restored my calendar and address book (and so much more that I didn't want) to my new BB. (Yes, I had to get my service books replaced after that. Oops.)

Anyway, I've been able to delete a bunch of old stuff, but this one recurring just won't go away, reporting that error.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

This happened to me me. This is my theory.

I am on a 8300 ATT - BIS

When I create appointments, I usually end up "inviting" my my wife so that she can see my schedule. For whatever reason, AOL was my default "send meeting request using" email address. I was able to change it to gmail or whatever when I made that appointment, but AOL was the default.

One day, i finally decided to get ride of AOL account. I did this via my BB online.

As soon as deleted the AOL account, every appointment that I had set up without inviting using a different email account had this "appointment deleted externally" issue. Ones that I had sent with invite and even ones ones that I had not! ALL of them were jacked. NOT GOOD.

So, when making an appointment, I wonder if there is a hidden "tag" that gets attached to appointments. Delete an email account, and you confuse the BB.

----

Happily, my default Invite Sending email address is now my gmail account. When I invite people, my appointments automatically get copied to my Google Calendar. Pretty cool.

Anywho, I am wondering since

?was it a cat i saw?

Last edited by Airmark1; 11-30-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmark1 View Post
This happened to me me. This is my theory.

I am on a 8300 ATT - BIS

When I create appointments, I usually end up "inviting" my my wife so that she can see my schedule. For whatever reason, AOL was my default "send meeting request using" email address. I was able to change it to gmail or whatever when I made that appointment, but AOL was the default.

One day, i finally decided to get ride of AOL account. I did this via my BB online.

As soon as deleted the AOL account, every appointment that I had set up without inviting using a different email account had this "appointment deleted externally" issue. Ones that I had sent with invite and even ones ones that I had not! ALL of them were jacked. NOT GOOD.

So, when making an appointment, I wonder if there is a hidden "tag" that gets attached to appointments. Delete an email account, and you confuse the BB.

----

Happily, my default Invite Sending email address is now my gmail account. When I invite people, my appointments automatically get copied to my Google Calendar. Pretty cool.

Anywho, I am wondering since
I've seen this problem as well, but my situation is a little different.
I've never sent an e-mail from a calendar item.

My calendar seemed to be working correctly until I tried setting up an e-mail account (connection to existing earthlink account). Having the e-mail account setup made my BB seem very sluggish, so I deleted it. It was after this that I noticed all my appointments had this "deleted" problem. I popped the battery and rebooted, and then all appointments were gone!

So, I restored them from a recent backup, but had no idea what caused the issue. Then I saw this thread and tried an experiment. I set up the e-mail again. The act of setting it up this time caused all appointments to be duplicated in my day view! One copy had the "deleted" behavior, and the other copy seemed normal. So, I deleted the e-mail account. Still had duplicates. Rebooted the BB, and now all duplicate items are "valid". Not sure what happened.

I've got an 8310 running 4.2.2.170.

Seems there is an issue with setting up e-mail. I'm using BIS, not BES. Not only does the e-mail setup seem to corrupt the calendar database, it makes the BB run very sluggishly. (I've got ~19Mb free, no SD card.)
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCheng View Post
I seem to get this message on many of my calander entries when i try to edit them. Any ideas?
Never seen this before. Was the appointment setup by you initially, because it sounds as though its not, and it was deleted by another party set for that appointment - the person that created it. I'm thinking since you're deleting an appointment that no longer exists on the server, or calendar app elsewhere (or native on the BB HH) then you cannot delete for it to sync.

BINGO ... I was wrong found the issue ....

BlackBerry Search Results

Problem

When you select an appointment in the Calendar, the following message appears: Appointment deleted externally, changes will be lost and viewer closed.

Cause

The Calendar database is corrupted.

Definately read this if you're using Content Protection.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
mervynle

Model: 8310

I had the same issue and found a thread on this on another board. Some people (including me) were able to resolve the problem by doing a battery pull. Hope this works.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Baggman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervynle View Post
I had the same issue and found a thread on this on another board. Some people (including me) were able to resolve the problem by doing a battery pull. Hope this works.

Worked. Amazing what a battery pull will cure (VD?) !!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
aapierre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9520
Carrier: Vodafone

I don't have the issue with the calendar items any more cos a battery pull got rid of all my calendar items bar 1

I tried to sync to my outlook which has my correct data on it but the thing tries to delete my outlook data also no matter how much i try to tell it that outlook wins in any conflicts.

i then followed some instructions to delete my calendar via the Advanced section in the DM.

This got rid of the lot and when i went back in and tried to sync again with the settings i wanted it all worked and i now have my calendar back on track.

Ta Da.

Last edited by aapierre; 03-20-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
ed tackas

Carrier: Orange

hi, i tried taking out the battery as suggested below on my 8320. I didnt switch it off first, just pulled it straight out and put it back in after about 5 seconds or so. The phone took a while to start up but it certainly fixed the problem. I've only just done that so I will write another post if teh problem reoccurs anytime soon. Hope this helps
Closed Thread