Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
mishkautkin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular
Question HOW TO???: Internet on Laptop Through BB8800 USB

Please Login to Remove!

i got cingular 8800 Unlimited Data, I just can't figure out how to make the internet come up on the laptop?

thank you in advance for taking your time to explain to me how to make it work.

Provide Cingular....
Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

This is directly from Cingular's website:
(I've never performed these steps, so I have no idea if they are accurate or if they work. I assume they do.)

Setup of BlackBerry 8800 to Laptop Windows XP using BlackBerry Universal USB Cable for data
Prerequisite:
RIM BlackBerry 8800 handset purchased from Cingular
PC with an available USB port

BlackBerry Desktop Software installed from accompanying CD. If the CD is not available, download the most recent version of BlackBerry Desktop Software from BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software | Applications to Synchronize Your BlackBerry and Desktop Data.

User should be logged in as Administrator or have administrative privileges in the profile to modify system files

Setting up the modem

1. On the PC, connect the USB cable from the USB port to the side of the handset. Windows will detect the handset and install the drivers.
2. Double click the Desktop Manager icon.
3. Click Options and then Connection Settings.
4. Click Detect.
5. When the Warning dialog box appears, click OK.
6. The dialog box should display: USB handheld found, then click OK.
7. Ensure that the Connection field displays USB-PIN: and click OK.
8. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click the Phone and Modem Options icon.
9. Click the Modems tab.
10. Click once on the Standard Modem and click Properties.
11. Click the Advanced tab.
12. Type at+cgdcont=1,\u201dIP\u201d,\u201disp.cingular\u20 1d in the Extra initialization commands field.
13. Click OK twice to complete the setup.

Setting up the connection

1. On the PC, click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click Network Connections.
2. Click the link to Create a new connection.
3. This will open a New Connection Wizard. Click Next to begin the setup.
4. Click to select Connect to the Internet.
5. Click Next.
6. Click to select Set up my connection manually.
7. Click Next.
8. Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem.
9. Click Next.
10. Check the box to select the Standard Modem.
11. Ensure it is the only modem checked and click Next.
12. Type CNG Data for the ISP Name and click Next.
13. Type *99# for the Phone number.
14. Click Next.
15. If prompted, click to select whether to make this connection available for Anyone\u2019s use, or My use only.
16. Click Next.
17. Type [email address] in the User name field.
18. Type CINGULAR1 in the Password and Confirm password fields.
19. Tick to select from the available options below and click Next.
20. Click Finish to complete the setup.

Making the connection

1. On the PC, return to the Network Connections folder and double click the CNG Data icon.
2. Ensure the Dial field reads *99#.
3. Click Dial.

You will now be connected to the Cingular Data service.

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-14-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
ppapared

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I wanted to do this too but I was told you need to add the Blackberry Tethered Service to your Data Plan. Then you can use the Cingular Communications Manager which can be downloaded from Cingular. Then it will allow you to connect to the Internet through the Blackberry. I guess thats a lazier way to do it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
bigwillokc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

The post above is wrong, even if its from Cingular's site. You don't need a tethering plan if you have a data plan. Try this:

1.Install the BlackBerry desktop software.
2. Verify that you see the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager. Right click on xxx8220;my computerxxx8221; ; xxx8220;propertiesxxx8221; ; xxx8220;Hardwarexxx8221; Tab; xxx8220;Device Managerxxx8221; and then scroll down to xxx8220;modemxxx8221;
3. Double click the 'Standard Modem' in the device manager and click on the advanced tab.
4. Place the following string in the extra initialization commands: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular" - take care that your quotes look like normal quotes, not italicized quotes.
5. Create a dialup connection using this info:

User name = [email address]
(must be caps)

Password = CINGULAR1
(also must be caps)

Number to dial = *99***1#

6. Open up and make sure you have a USB connection established with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
7. Connect your dialup connection.

That's it. Works fine for me. Will only work for Cingular customers, obviously.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
mishkautkin

Question

Now lets make it interesting:

i'm in Russia, with Global Cingular Network Plan,

with all this setting it goes and tries to verify the login and passwords - so that tells me that it is working

but i get a 718 Problem....

do i configure it to the loger provider or do i configure it to the cingular settings?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Make sure you have the tethering plan or your data bill will go through the roof. Cingular's unlimited data does not include tether.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
mishkautkin

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

How much is tethering addon?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #8
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishkautkin View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

How much is tethering addon?

For me it was an additional $10, also you can download Cingular Communication Manager if you do not feel comfortable with init strings. Just make sure you select BB during the device wizard.

Wireless Services | High-Speed wireless connectivity for mobile devices
Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
helpslip

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

A freaking tethering plan??? You've got to be kidding me. Is there somewhere I can find more info. on this?

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=helpslip;536837]A freaking tethering plan??? You've got to be kidding me. Is there somewhere I can find more info. on this?

If you look at the bottom of this link you will see a Blackberry Tether Plan, its listed for $74.95. It may be cheaper if you receive a corporate of high volume discount.

Data Connect Table
Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

I had been using a BB and tethering to my notebook. I don't know if Cingular can or can't tell the difference, I needed the service so I paid for it and yes, it is about $30 more (BES plan) per month. The good news is you can always switch back to the standard BB plan if you don't want/need tethering.

If you have Verizon you get a real deal as the tethering plan was less expensive and you get EVDO speed. With Cingular, you get EDGE, good for checking email and limited browsing, I always had 80-90kbps. I've read others gettting much better than that but I never did. Someone mentioned that Sprint included tethering but I never checked.

Data is still very expensive for someone like me who may need it one or two days a month and may not use it for a month or two. I had 3G Data Connect but decided to drop it as I was just not getting enough use to justify $60/mo. Hopefully when Sprint starts WiMax roll out, we'll see princes drop for 3G.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

I believe at this time T-Mobile is still free tethering that is, and once Verizon comes out with EVDO REV-A that will be a lot faster
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby_nubby View Post
I believe at this time T-Mobile is still free tethering that is, and once Verizon comes out with EVDO REV-A that will be a lot faster
T-Mobile is truly unlimited. I used 180mb of data on my blackberry in one month and they did not charge me one cent extra. However, Cingular CAN, and DOES track the usage on the blackberries. It will be flagged for investigation if it exceeds a certain amount. (I couldnt get a firm megabyte usage from my rep, but its somewhere between 2-3mb a day.) It is difficult to use that much data on a blackberry with edge speeds, but i suppose it *could* be done. It would be one heck of an argument with customer care if you do exceed that, since you would have one heck of a bill.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Amckeithan

Model: 8800
PIN: 23fca7dc
Carrier: cingular

I have cingular with atmc (Voice, Cable, Broadband, Wireless - ATMC Communications) i dont see anything other then the bb plan i all rdy have. Called a girl that works for them she didnt know anything lol.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpslip View Post
A freaking tethering plan??? You've got to be kidding me.
You must be new to at&t... ;)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Looks like cingular wants you to sign up for the tethering plan, which includes the unlimited data. Too expensive for me, I've been testing it for about 6 weeks now using it very little but so far no charges from cingular. One person so far has reported that cingular did charge him $80 for the tethering plan in February. Other than that I see no one else that has gotten charged for tething, seems strange because there must be alot of pearl users testing this out right?

It works so well with my mac that I might use it more when I travel and dont want to pay for wifi.

Last edited by test54; 05-15-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
AuntyDan

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby_nubby View Post
Sprint also seems to be free for tethering. Both Cingular and Verizon have (IMHO) deceptive charges for tethering. They are deceptive because there is no mention of these charges when you buy a BB plan online on their websites. This makes it seem that they are hoping people sign up and will be forced to pay extra once committed to their contract.

Cingular charge about $30 more p/m. ($79.99 for unlimited tethered access instead of $49.99 for their non-tethered unlimited BB plan) But of course this is only EDGE speeds on their current BB models.

For Verizon you can only find the information by manually searching for their "Broadband Connect Plan". From this it appears that they charge an additional $59.99 if you have an EV-DO capable phone like the 8830 on top of your voice and BB data plan costs.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntyDan View Post
it appears that they charge an additional $59.99 if you have an EV-DO capable phone like the 8830 on top of your voice and BB data plan costs.
No, that's somewhat inaccurate.
Verizon Wireless charges an additional $15.00 to add unlimited* tethering capabilities to your existing Blackberry Data Plan. It's not $59.99 additional.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
AuntyDan

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
No, that's somewhat inaccurate.
Verizon Wireless charges an additional $15.00 to add unlimited* tethering capabilities to your existing Blackberry Data Plan. It's not $59.99 additional.
OK, now I'm confused. This page says it is $15 for a BB with a voice plan, but also says it is $59.99 for thethering with any EV-DO capable handset.

The 8830 is EV-DO capable right? So does this mean it's $15 or $59.99? Or even both? ($74.99!)

Can someone who has actually got tethered service from Verizon please confirm? I tried asking some Verizon drone in a web chat on their site but couldn't get a straight answer.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntyDan View Post
Can someone who has actually got tethered service from Verizon please confirm? I tried asking some Verizon drone in a web chat on their site but couldn't get a straight answer.
We have two users with 8830s. Just activated today.
We retained the same voice and data plans as they were using on their 7130e handhelds.
$99.99 voice plan
$44.99 bb data plan (we did not upgrade to international data yet)
$15.00 tethering option.

I believe the $59.99 option is for tethering of non-Blackberry handsets as well as EV-DO data cards, such as the PC5750. We have 13 of them, and pay $59.99 monthly for unlimited* data.

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-15-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Closed Thread