BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Were you able to use the application successfully?
Yes 305 86.65%
No 47 13.35%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #501
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

No battery difference on mine still. Just got up and checked and I should still get approx. 2 days of battery life on my Pearl. Also still no problems at all with AIM, Yahoo and GT.

Maybe people with problems should say what type of BB they have, what OS it has, what version of JT, etc....
Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #502
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

7290 running latest OS. Battery id draining big time.

I recharge each night, couple of days ago my phone went dead about 8 or 9 PM. I think I hit red the day before. Never had that happen before so yesterday I left Jivetalk logged out and I had 3 bars at the end of the day. Even stranger, I used the phone a lot yesterday because we had a situation at the job and I needed to keep my boss informed.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #503
kyububba

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Battery drain

For you guys that have experienced battery drain, can you send the following info to support?

Model of your phone
JT build number
When this started happening, roughly.
Carrier

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #504
CableGuy711

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Pearl
maybe this build? last seemed ok? (or i didnt notice it)
Tmobile
Old 02-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #505
RDx
Thumbs Must Hurt

This program kicks ass!! It looks great and so far no problems with it. If you could make the BG of the alert window transparent instead of white, it would look even better.

KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #506
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba
For you guys that have experienced battery drain, can you send the following info to support?
Model of your phone 7290 4.1.0.309
JT build number 0.5.22
When this started happening, roughly. Seens like last couple of builds with the last one being more noticable
Carrier TMO

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #507
kasperapd

Model: 9700

Almost identical to Soapm

Model of your phone 8700c 4.1.0.377
JT build number 0.5.22
When this started happening, roughly. Seems like last couple of builds with the last one being more noticable
Carrier TMO

Please try a Search
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #508
dcfella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:

Model of your phone
JT build number
When this started happening, roughly.
Carrier

Thanks!
I 've noticed a higher than normal battery drain too. I usually don't have to charge my phone more than once every 2 days but now it gets really low after less than a day. Not sure if it's cause I upgrade to new TMO OS .346 or Jivetalk. I upgraded to use JT w/out the patch and that's when the battery drain begain.

8700G w/Tmo.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #509
rkkeller

I have the Pearl and 5.22 and notice no difference in battery life. Still get close to two days like always depending upon use.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #510
CableGuy711

yesterday i took my phone off the charger at 10am, got 2 email's used aim for a few conversations that lasted no more then 5 mins.....
and it was dead by 1am.....
my pearl is using the .71 os if that matters

today im not runing jivetalk and gonna see how long it lasts, will report back.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #511
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableGuy711
yesterday i took my phone off the charger at 10am, got 2 email's used aim for a few conversations that lasted no more then 5 mins.....
and it was dead by 1am.....
my pearl is using the .71 os if that matters

today im not runing jivetalk and gonna see how long it lasts, will report back.
Is everyone that's getting the drain on TMobile? It seems like we've been getting a lot more frequent disconnects and timeouts on TMobile than on the other carriers, and the way the app is build, it retries as soon as this happens. So there has been more radio usage on TMobile.

Anyway, we think the battery drain is related to that. We're testing a build that puts the app into a more passive battery saver mode while idle.

Looking for folks experiencing significant battery drain to test out a new build. If interested, please shoot an email to support and you'll get the OTA links.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #512
ChinoxL37
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: tmobile

I am definetly getin some drainage here but truthfully I think its worth it for a reliable Im prog.
Bb pearl runing os 4.2.71
Jt 5.22
First version of jt I'm ever tryin so can't compare but experienced drain right away.. Comparable to using media player to watch anime.
Tmobile
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #513
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Is everyone that's getting the drain on TMobile? It seems like we've been getting a lot more frequent disconnects and timeouts on TMobile than on the other carriers, and the way the app is build, it retries as soon as this happens. So there has been more radio usage on TMobile.
Just so you don't think you're smokin crack, T-Mobile just has coverage problems in general. Here in SF there are a ton of dead spots and you don't get the best signal in a lot of places, and indoors it can be really iffy. It does not surprise me you're getting more dropouts on T-Mobile with JiveTalk.

Of course they make up for it by being really cool, and cheap to boot.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #514
CableGuy711

Phone has been off the charger for 2 hours now, and Just dropped down to 95% ( i guess it drops in 5% increments)
Old 02-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #515
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Just so you don't think you're smokin crack, T-Mobile just has coverage problems in general. Here in SF there are a ton of dead spots and you don't get the best signal in a lot of places, and indoors it can be really iffy. It does not surprise me you're getting more dropouts on T-Mobile with JiveTalk.

Of course they make up for it by being really cool, and cheap to boot.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the T-Mobile coverage issues, especially from the back of my house... But this isn't so much of a coverage issue, looks like they systematically changed their timeout settings on their APN servers, basically not holding connections open for us for nearly as long. Seems to have just happened a few days ago.

Of course it could be something we're doing in the app, but radio usage generally drains a lot more than some simple graphics, it's not as if we added full motion video...

Anyway, we hope to work around this problem with some smarter retry logic. We haven't seen any changes from other carriers.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #516
CableGuy711

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the T-Mobile coverage issues, especially from the back of my house... But this isn't so much of a coverage issue, looks like they systematically changed their timeout settings on their APN servers, basically not holding connections open for us for nearly as long. Seems to have just happened a few days ago.

Of course it could be something we're doing in the app, but radio usage generally drains a lot more than some simple graphics, it's not as if we added full motion video...

Anyway, we hope to work around this problem with some smarter retry logic. We haven't seen any changes from other carriers.

Very interesting find! You guys ROCK! Keep up the awesome work
Old 02-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #517
onth

PIN: G PONG

Carrier: TMob
Mode: 8100 Pearl running 4.20
JT: .22

With JT running, battery dropped to almost 10% left within 8 hours, with only 1 call that last for about 3 min, 10 min of IM.

Without JT running, battery remains full after 10 hours with 8 calls that last average 5 mins.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #518
onth

PIN: G PONG

Hi Kai,

I cant seem to see my buddy's away message on MSN. When they are away with an away message typed in, the only thing i see is "away - AWAY" regardless they have set an away message or not.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #519
denness544
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
PIN: PIN: XXXXXXX
Carrier: T-mobile

Same battery problem here also. My phone won't last until 1am after pulling it off the charger at about 9am. Before it would go beyond 1am. My phone usage habits have not changed much at all.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #520
rkkeller

Quote:
It seems like we've been getting a lot more frequent disconnects and timeouts on TMobile

I am wondering does JT alert the user to these disconnects and stuff or does it do all this in the background ? Just asking as I have not seen any disconnects at all since a few builds back.

Also some other IM programs have a setting you can change. You can lower the setting when your heavily using it and can raise it when your not to save battery life. Is this what your talking about ?
Closed Thread