BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default All about E61

Please Login to Remove!

If the moderators don't mind, I would love to start an E61 thread. I know there are a lot of people on here that use this forum, and have this phone, so maybe when can make this for suggestions, tips, and tricks. I have some to post soon, but curious to hear others. Thanks for all the future input.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
dhendriksen

Apparently there are not as many users as I thought hanging out here. Never seen a thread with no replies like this.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

Theres been heaps of discussion about the E61 already. You will find some if you do a search. Probably explains the lack of discussion in this thread.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
jamelb

Model: 8700c

hey i have one as well
Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

I got one too. I just can't waiting until sling releases the slingplayer software for series 60 v3, like they annouced a few weeks ago
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongers
Theres been heaps of discussion about the E61 already. You will find some if you do a search. Probably explains the lack of discussion in this thread.
I have done several searches, and read the threads. They are all people griping about them, or asking answer to a simple question. I want what I posted originally.

Has anyone setup an "internet call"? Some help on how to do that would be nice.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
graphreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: UPs? Always welcome.
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen
Has anyone setup an "internet call"? Some help on how to do that would be nice.
Pardon me for being blunt but, if I was looking for stuff like that,
I would not really be checking out Blackberry forums.
Google would be a terrific help on the E61.
Lately I have been using an unlocked Cingular E62 -albeit a much chopped-up
version of the E61, missing the all important WLAN & 3G- it has very similar features as
a communication device.
Here are a few links for VoIP on the E61 that might be of help to you-

e61 » Blog Archive » VoIP with the Nokia e61 - making cheap calls

e61 Voip SIP setup with pbxes and Gizmo at Nokia E61 Blog

E-Series » Blog Archive » VoIP On The Nokia E61

E61 and VOIP over WIFI, using voiptalk.rrg - All About Symbian Forums

Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Hey! I have an E61 too!

It's in a drawer . . . . somehere . . . I can't remember where . . . last time I saw it it looked good in the drawer . . . . I think I'll leave it there!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Hey! I have an E61 too!

It's in a drawer . . . . somehere . . . I can't remember where . . . last time I saw it it looked good in the drawer . . . . I think I'll leave it there!!!
Do you mind me asking why you quit using the E61?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default update

just want to give anyone who got an E61 there is a update for the phone i just did an update and the phone is working a little faster and some things were changed nothing major like acessing some menus. but over all its def seems quicker but as a crackberry user i still have my BB on stand by when ever i need a quck hit lol
Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
Jeff9500
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
Carrier: Globe Telecom

E61 can't do fax and can't open documents created in nokia 9300 and 9500 phones.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9500
E61 can't do fax and can't open documents created in nokia 9300 and 9500 phones.
I will do some research on the fax thing, I have heard that they can. As far as opening documents created on those phones, that is not an issue for me as I have actually never seen anyone use either of those. I just need to open them sent from a pc. I really love this device. One thing rim should do (like nokia did on the E61) is setup certain times of day for email to be received. Mow I can leave my phoneon to get calls if there is an emergency in the middle of the night, but dont get waken up by every single email. That is a really neat feature.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

For an answer to the VOIP question. I use truphone on the E61 and it works great (free calls to 40 countries until 31st Dec). Its pretty amazing to see how VOIP can work when it is properly integrated into the phone. I hope Skype get on with their E60 client. Although I bought a Sony Mylo to use as a Skype phone at home and it works great.

Welcome To Truphone - Mobile VoIP has arrived

rgds
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
ratatosk

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
For an answer to the VOIP question. I use truphone on the E61 and it works great (free calls to 40 countries until 31st Dec). Its pretty amazing to see how VOIP can work when it is properly integrated into the phone. I hope Skype get on with their E60 client. Although I bought a Sony Mylo to use as a Skype phone at home and it works great.

URL omitted because I haven't posted > 10 posts.

rgds
I'm also using Truphone on my E70 (with BB connect). It does an excellent job of NAT penetration with a random wireless router that is not configured in any special way for VOIP. It also uses a relatively low bandwidth codec for VOIP (AMR) so you get more or less cellular phone quality, but it doesn't require a whole lot of bandwidth like G.711. A good choice for hooking up to some random access point where you might get less than 128Kbps on the uplink.

The integration is very nice. When people call the truphone number and you're not connected via WiFi, it simply forwards your phone call and you receive it via the cellular network. All free now, but I'll definitely be willing to pay for it.

On the other hand my experiences with Skype for calls to phone numbers have been pretty poor. I'm not sure why exactly, but the voice quality has made it difficult to understand people. I'd much rather use Truphone than an S60v3 Skype client. Good thing about Skype though is that it is harder to block than VOIP, so it would likely work at access points that are likely to block VOIP (hotels are a common case)

Last edited by ratatosk; 12-01-2006 at 12:45 PM..
Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen
Mow I can leave my phoneon to get calls if there is an emergency in the middle of the night, but dont get waken up by every single email. That is a really neat feature.
Wow...me too with my BB. Just use the profiles like phone only.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Wow...me too with my BB. Just use the profiles like phone only.
I knew there had to be a way to do it, but there is no need to be a smarta@&.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
HI-Tek

How does everyone deal with the slow OS on this device?

I had one for 3 months and I couldn't deal with it. I had to go back to my 8700c . This could of been my perfect phone, (loved the voice quality, reception, and BB connect worked well) but it was just too slow and counter productive.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-Tek
How does everyone deal with the slow OS on this device?

I had one for 3 months and I couldn't deal with it. I had to go back to my 8700c . This could of been my perfect phone, (loved the voice quality, reception, and BB connect worked well) but it was just too slow and counter productive.
It is a little bit slow, I just put the things that I access most frequently as shortcuts in the standby screen, the only thing that is slow is replying to emails and what not. I have gotten everything else to pull up pretty quick. It is all worth it to be able to edit and attach files of all sorts, record calls, and use that sweet web browser. I LOVE this phone.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #19
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat
Default E61

I've been using the E61 for roughly 6 months. I picked one of the first ones up in Dubai. It has been upgraded to Ver 2.06.18.06.05. I generally like the phone, but I'm certainly not without reservations.

First, with respect to the Blackberry part of the phone. Blackberry Connect works, but I seem to have less functionality than I did with the real Blackberry. The number of attachments I can open is smaller than with a Blackberry even though when I am using the unit with Roadsync I can open the same attachment.

What a genuine Blackberry doesn't support, Blackberry Connect doesn't support. Conversely what a Blackberry does support, my unit doesn't necessarily support. The big thing I notice day in and out is scanned (bitmap) PDFs. I subscribe to efax to have a fax on the road. On a real Blackberry, I could open these up. I couldn't really read them, but I could make out enough of the document to have a clue whether it was an urgent client matter or fax spam offering to lower my mortgage rate.

The unit is also not as smart as a Blackberry. It doesn't have the brains to fix common errors (e.g. to capitalize an "i" which appears as a signal character in the middle of a sentence). The unit also lacks an automatic expansion unti which I found helpful for including pat phrases. I know you can do templates, but I had sentences that I just plopped down with a couple of keystrokes.

One problem with Blackberry emails is that you tend to write much more compact emails than you did on a keyboard. While this should be a virtue, many people read the shortness as being rude or dismissive even with a disclaimer on the bottom that the message that it came from a Blackberry.

I had one individual (who had many problems) who told me that if his e-mails weren't worth stopping and sitting down for, I obviously didn't value his business enough. While this guy was a nut job, the point is that I found that a couple of carefully chosen sentences would often temper the perceived curtness of your typical Blackberry email.

Second, with respect to the rest of the unit. The reception is great. The processor is a bit slow and I really wish the unit supported US 3g. You don't know what you are missing until you take this phone across the Atlantic and get to open it up on the "Cellular Autobahn," a/k/a as Europe's 3g network.

Third, The VOIP is nice. I have my own Asterisks box and where I have a good signal, I connect to it. As was pointed out, truphone supports the AMR codec and it will sometimes give me good reception where my own connection will not. Even over EDGE, it is good enough to check my office voicemails and a few things like that.

I travel alot so the VOIP is a really big life saver in a foreign country where you are looking at foreign roaming fees. Even where the connection isn't wonderful, I can make enough of a connection to my Asterisks box over Edge or 3g to forward the virtual line attached to it the prepaid SIM dejour. That makes things much easier than trying to find a hotspot, getting on the web and setting a call forward.

Fourth, I have an international Blackberry plan and I used to be able to tap into the wap.backberry or whatever the node and do minimal browsing and IMing as part of my plan. That option seems dead, but I heard from a friend (just before he took off for India on business), that there is a way to tap your browser and IM tool into the Blackberry node. Any help would be appreciated.;

Fifth, the one gripe I have with Blackberry is that you are so locked into your provider that there is no other way to get at your mail. I've been in two or three countries where Cingular did not have data roaming agreements. I could, however, find wifi or a data enabled prepaid SIM. The Nokia would really rock if there was a way to create a VPN tunnel of some sort into Blackberry. I work on a wired campus and this would increase my range as well. Sort of a data equivalent to the voip plan that Tmobile is starting to offer under the name "the only phone you will ever need."

Sixth, The E61 is a good inexpensive phone. It does almost as much as my old VX6600 and doesn't feel like a boat in my pocket. With a Windows PDA, I felt like I returned to high school in the 70s and that calculator clipped to my belt. The E61 slips into my pants perfectly.

The tight integration of wifi has been a major boom to me, but I think it is a second class Blackberry. On occasion I carry multiple phones, but this is a pain in the back or should I say front.

Without trying to sound like a sexists, women seem to dislike the phone. I know two woman who bought them and both returned them. They say that it doesn't fit into their hand well. People also hate the keypad when dialing the unit as a phone. I know the argument that 90% of the people you dial are in your contact list. The problem is that it will always be one of those 10% that you are dialing when you are cruisng down a foreign motorway at 160kph.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
dhendriksen

The location of the dialing keys is a little bit of a bother. I am constantly placing calls not in my contact list, and it is a little bit of a pain. The fact that they are in the middle is not so bad as I have big hands, but more so the location of the 0*# keys. They are very obnoxiously placed to the right side of 963 for anyone who has not used the phone. I recently started using a Pearl sometimes, and I have to admit it is nice to be back in a Blackberry. The spelling corrections and simple letter capitalization is nice, but the E61 is so feature rich it is hard to beat - plus the web browser is better than I have seen on any mobile phone EVER! I almost prefer it to IE on my laptop!