BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
pwfb

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW
Default Full BES with Mac

Please Login to Remove!

I am using ExchangeMyMail for my wireless sync (Calendar and Address Book) and BES needs. They are truly wonderful people and a great vendor.

My issue however is this. Because I use a Mac, when I log into the OWA client with any Mac related web browser (Safari, Firefox, Camino, Opera, etc.) I can only access the "light" version. I never knew how much I was missing until today when I logged in with a Windows machine at a business center.

I was already frustrated with the fact that "to-do's" (tasks) wouldn't sync between Entourage and BES/Blackberry, but when I saw that I could on a Windows machine, I was really unhappy.

Has anyone found any type of work-around for this? If so, what?

I won't switch to Windows and I don't want to use an emulator just for OWA.

Gmail for Business hosts our company email and I thought about using their sync even though I am very happy with ExchangeMyMail, but they don't have a place for to-do's (tasks) in their calendar operation and addresses don't sync with their OTA solution, just calendar.

I would appreciate any and all tips and suggestions!

Thanks, Scott
Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Unforunately if my memory serves me correctly RIM doesn't support Macintosh with it comes to BES implimentation you have to use Windows Domino or ... can't think of the name of it.

But really what you need is a teksavvy person to run your IT who deals with all ends of the market instead of one person like yourself who is PC bias and refuses to go with flow that everyone else is using.

Andrew

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 09-18-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
pwfb

Andrew, as for my "pc bias", I used PC's for nearly 15 years (DOS days) before I made the switch. Every new employee I hire is given a choice of Windows or Mac. Everyone selects Mac with no intervention from us. We have some PC's in the office "just in case", but I dare say that they don't get used more than once a month on average.

As for going with the flow, its never been my style my friend, but, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

...Scott
Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfb View Post
Andrew, as for my "pc bias", I used PC's for nearly 15 years (DOS days) before I made the switch. Every new employee I hire is given a choice of Windows or Mac. Everyone selects Mac with no intervention from us. We have some PC's in the office "just in case", but I dare say that they don't get used more than once a month on average.

As for going with the flow, its never been my style my friend, but, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

...Scott
Then get the iPhone!

But wait you can't copy and paste messages with it! ;)

A.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
pwfb

Hopefully there are other options out there.....

Anyone??
Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Pinjo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Hopefully there are other options out there.....

Anyone??
I've never found one. We have a large percentage of Blackberry users whose primary computer of choice is a MAC. A large majority really do not care about Tasks and Memos, but those who do are made aware the limitation. They usually do all of their management on the Blackberry so it will at least be backed up on the Exchange server. Entourage is a half-a$$'d product compared to Outlook when it comes to Exchange; not just with Tasks and Memos either. Microsoft (and its MAC BU) should be embarrassed by that.

Being as most Apple developers are likely not in an Exchange environment, they probably do not care about the limitations in Entourage.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Pinjo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

I was already frustrated with the fact that "to-do's" (tasks) wouldn't sync between Entourage and BES/Blackberry, but when I saw that I could on a Windows machine, I was really unhappy.
Just to correct your comment. Entourage does not sync those to Exchange. Has nothing to do with your Blackberry or the BES.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
pwfb

Thanks for the info Pinjo. I am no fan of Entourage. It is sorta a necessary evil, especially since you can only use the light version of OWA with Mac. We dumped our own mail server in favor or Google/Gmail hosting our email via Google Apps. It was a great decision and sorry that we didn't do this a long time ago. I asked our BES provider (exchangemymail) if there was any way to sync their services with Google Apps, but they reportedly no. I just wish they, or someone else did as this would provide me with a true 1 stop solution.

Thanks again, Scott
Closed Thread