Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsblackberry View Post
I have information from a source at Optus who confirms that the first shipment of BlackBerry Bold's will not be pre-loaded with GPS. Seems like they (RIM) are up to their old tricks. As I mentioned before, the same thing happened when the 8300 (Curve) came out.

Can you explain to me how GPS is loaded and unloaded on a device? The GPS is a chip... you cant have a device that doesnt have it in there and still searches for satellites... that doesnt make sense...

The problem here is my guess is its either disabled by the provider for some reason (sorry i didnt read all of the thread) your BES admin has it blocked. i would say try calling your carrier, because they have no excuse to not help you... its there job as BB tech support...

also! The 8300 was always no GPS or wifi, they then made ones with it to suit other carriers wants... RIM did all that on purpose! some people wanted just the 8300 without all the fancy stuff, and some only wanted GPS or wifi.... the 8820 and the bold are the first devices to have all it in one device... all this was done for a reason...

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 08-25-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
David Dickinson

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
Can you explain to me how GPS is loaded and unloaded on a device? The GPS is a chip... you cant have a device that doesnt have it in there and still searches for satellites... that doesnt make sense...

The problem here is my guess is its either disabled by the provider for some reason (sorry i didnt read all of the thread) your BES admin has it blocked. i would say try calling your carrier, because they have no excuse to not help you... its there job as BB tech support...

also! The 8300 was always no GPS or wifi, they then made ones with it to suit other carriers wants... RIM did all that on purpose! some people wanted just the 8300 without all the fancy stuff, and some only wanted GPS or wifi.... the 8820 and the bold are the first devices to have all it in one device... all this was done for a reason...
Hi Cory, thanks and yeah, I agree it should be the carrier to support me on this but they are so far useless... their "excuse" being "Oh we don't get trained on the handset". I mean what do you say to that. Completely useless.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

then ask them to transfer you to RIM if they cant help you... it will be on there bill not urs to talk to RIM... and if they dont want to transfer you then ask to speak with a manager or suprtvisor to transfer you to RIM (say that you just got off the phone with RIM and they said that you(your carriers agent on the phone) can do it without issues....
Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #24
David Dickinson

thanks Cory. They have already said they have no support contract with RIM... freaking useless... will give 'em a call tomorrow...
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
Subharpoon

Model: Bold
Unhappy

david, How did you go with the call to Optus? I got my BOLD from them last Thursday and having the same problem
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #26
David Dickinson

Hi Guys, right, first off, Optus... don't bother. They couldn't give a monkey's. Although my advice would be to go to an Optus shop and shout... but and it is a big but (may be BUT would have been more appropriate)... MY GPS NOW WORKS!!??????

I had given up on it, truly I had... and I generally just played around on it... and it worked. The most significant thing I did was to power down the device and take the battery out for a few minutes.

I also went to the wifi updates and checked for updates, although there were none.

I went through security application permissions, but didn't reset anything. I also turned off all wireless. I went into the Options->advanced options->gps (which I've done about 1000 times before) and lo and behold, it found 4 satellites. It's wildly inaccurate putting me appoximately half a click away from where I really am, but it is working and i reckon once I get out and about a bit, it will be more accurate.

Subharpoon, sorry I can't be anymore specific. I also tried turning off the "find location" setting and then back on...

But god knowns what the silver bullet was... just keep twiddling things... Good luck champ
Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
Subharpoon

Angry

I also got the GPS working this morning. It found 5 satellites in York Street Sydney. I too did nothing-they just came up. It worked for awhile with Nav4All, now that program cant find the satellites even though the GPS on the Bold says it has 4. Google Maps just hangs after asking permission to access the internal GPS and I have to remove the battery to reboot.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #28
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Aren't people getting Google Maps on the Bold through tricks instead of downloading it directly? I recall someone here mentioning that Google Maps popped up a message indicating that it wasn't supported on 4.6, so that would be my guess as to why Google Maps isn't working... it isn't yet compatible with the Bold.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #29
Subharpoon

OK. Finally got GPS to work on my Bold. Here's what I did:
1. On the BES ensured that I was assigned the Default IT policy. We are on Blackberry Professional 4.1
2. As I am with Optus set the TCP APN to "internet" with username & password blank.
3. Did the 'Refresh GPS' away from Castlereagh Street in the city.
4. Once the satellites were locked in opened NAV4ALL and watched the blue diamond follow me accross Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I think the problem is finding the satellites in the first place-you just have to persevere with the 'Refresh GPS' command.

So far so good!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Not to mention that (with my 8800 ) GPS around Sydney CBD is almost useless...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
pvdiamon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: US Cellular

I have a Pearl and this sounds like the same old problem. The GPS is just not a very good system on it, and although I have locked on satellites, I can't predict when it will happen. There are some work arounds suggested (like battery pull, etc.) and sometimes that helps but it is just very unreliable. I enjoy the Pearl and the rest of the BB, but the GPS is almost useless.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #32
Abbsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vodafone UK

What baffles me is that there is no on/off function.

When I first got my Bold, I couldn't initialise the GPS for few days (3 or 4) and now it's working straight away and I have no clue what made it work. Like someone said in this thread..just persevere with 'Refresh GPS'.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #33
stevebaudains

Model: 8100
Carrier: JT

Don't forget that many "traditional" hand held GPS's remember your last positional fix, and if they forget, will take some considerable time to refix. My handheld garmin for instance will get a fix in a few seconds/ less than a minute if it's been sat with batteries in it but if I've taken the batteries out or it becomes flat, it can take 10 minutes plus to figure out where on the planet it is No idea if similar rules of thought apply to the GPS on BB's, but it might be worth bearing in mind.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #34
khalilio

Carrier: Vodafone

Hi, I have the same problem right now, I know that I do have GPS installed and enabled for I have tested it before.
As soon as I unpacked the Boldi, I tried the GPS function, after some research I managed to refresh and lock on 6 SATs.

After updating my O.S., I have installed the trial version of Garmin for BlackBerry which had no luck to find my position. Knowing that my GPS did work, I thought that Garmin soft was crap so I went back to basic and tried to refresh the GPS position but unfortunately.... It was my device and not Garmin.

I don't even know why I upgraded my O.S. for.

I've been trying my luck with the Hard Reset, Upgrade Downgrade and changing as many settings as I could with a GPS refresh after each step but so far I have been very unlucky.

P.S. no need to remove the Battery to do a hard reset, just click and hold: Alt+Right Shift key+Del and the device will reset (Will not wipe clean your device, just a normal reset)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #35
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1145542
Closed Thread