Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
gary965

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Using Blackberry abroad

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I am going to the US shortly and don't want to incur massive charges, would it be possible to turn off my mobile network in manage connections and just use wifi when and where available to send emails back home.

I need the phone to keep a handle on what is going on at home but obviously don't want to pay for incoming calls/texts etc when I don't need them.

If I then turned the mobile network back on to call home in an emergency would I get all the stuff pushed regardless.

Thanks in advance

Gary
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
tushar.vilankar

Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Gary,

You can turn OFF the data services by Home>>Options>>Mobile Network>>Data Services - here select the option "OFF while roaming"

This shall allow you to receive only phone calls & not all the pushed stuff

Regards,
Tushar Vilankar
Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
gary965

Hi, thanks for that.

The other question is when using WiFi in a hotel etc would I have to re enable Data Services to pick up emails for free or is that not possible.

I am not planning to use the phone function at all when away, but need to take it for emergencies and also on my return to the UK. It would be useful however to receive and send emails in a controlled, free WiFi environment, is this possible.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
gary965

Hi, sorry to bump this but we are off to Florida next week and am still wondering about the best options when taking my BB, or indeed whether it is best either using a different non data enabled sim card or a different phone.

I am on Vodafone and have followed the turn OFF the data services by Home>>Options>>Mobile Network>>Data Services - here select the option "OFF while roaming" path.

Presumably by doing this no emails etc will be received, I can use the phone for voice if needed and if WiFi is highlighted for using hotspots I could use the internet for no cost.

Am I right in thinking that if the WiFi symbol is in the top right when using the internet rather than GPRS then it is not using a local netwrok and incurring a roaming charge.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
oncontrol

Carrier: Etisalat

Gary,
I once was abroad and i turned my data service off while roaming

This will allow you as you and others mentioned to reveive voice calls and sms while push mail (corporate and personl emails) will be disabled

In my case, i just connected to Wifi without changing any settings like hotspot and my emails starting coming one by one
Closed Thread