BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
ishan001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Unhappy Blackberry Battery Draining unusually quickly!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have read about 20 pages specific to this issue, but none of them seemed to help me with my battery drain issue.

My blackberry is dropping 5% battery charge every 5-10 min without even me using it. This is extremely strange because the battery is only 4 months old.

I exited all applications in the background and only the basic ones are on: (phone call logs, browser, bbm, messages, home). Everything else is exited (closed).
Earlier there was a linkedin program which would not exit and I thought maybe that would be the issue. Even after uninstalling it the same issue persists.

My wi-fi is on. I thought maybe that was the issue. I tried putting that off but that did not help the battery drain problem either.
My bluetooth is also off.

I even tried upgrading my Blackberry OS from v 4.5 to the new version 5 hoping that would solve the problem. Still no relief!!

Also, I have good mobile signal strength at my house and dont think that could be the issue either.

So now, friends, feedback from this forum would be highly appreciated. Anyone else having a similar issue? Could you offer me some valuable suggestions to solve my problem?

I have over 350 contacts on BBM, could that be one of the issues of battery drain? Since the program is always on and there is no way to put it off.
Or could it be a hardware issue?

If nothing works I am contemplating buying a new blackberry because a battery life of 3 hours is certainly not helping!!

Look forward to your responses. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Ishan.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Sounds to me like it could be a bad battery. Did it run completely out, by any chance?

BBM could be a drain, especially with that many contacts pinging you all day long. Is your brightness on high? That is another big power drag.

Did you see the FAQ article on how to maximize your battery? If not, take a lok and see if that helps.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
ishan001

Hi,
Thank you very much for your response.
I checked my screen brightness and it was on 100, I have now reduced it to 60. Don't think that was the issue.
As for bbm, I don't always use it, but it runs in the background. I don't always receive pings, but the software is always checking for contact updates. Could that be an issue?
As I am writing this my battery has lost about 10-15 % in about 20 min...
Seems to me like there could be a hardware fault - will have it checked out.
I also have another battery, so I will make sure its not a battery fault.
Have also checked the article u talked about. Thanks!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Google Map, Podcast, Streaming apps are usually big battery hogs so make sure they are killed and sleeping quite. BBM may not be a huge toll as I have seen on my 9700. But sure it could use. Also make sure you dont have so many of UNREAD messages or chats open.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
ishan001

Yes, agreed that open applications are usually the cause, but as mentioned earlier I have nothing opened other than the basic ones right now. I have about 5 unread emails only and all my bbm conversations are shut. Since morning I have hardly used my blackberry and the battery is already down to 30% .. So annoying! Thanks though. I think I might have to show it to a technician to ascertain the cause.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
psantucci

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default Re: Blackberry Battery Draining unusually quickly!

Check your GPS settings. I have found when I'm in a remote area my battery drains very fast if Location Aiding is Enabled. Try turning it off (or even turning off your GPS) and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Trojano

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

My wife's 8900 just recently just started to experience this battery drain problem. Thanks for all the suggestions it gives me a starting point.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
Snaker190

Carrier: t-mob

tray replacing your battery..
if that don't work then u need a new blackberry..
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by psantucci View Post
Check your GPS settings. I have found when I'm in a remote area my battery drains very fast if Location Aiding is Enabled. Try turning it off (or even turning off your GPS) and see if that makes a difference.
I have not found that GPS is a real drain on the battery. Now if you are running a map with it, then yes.

The 2 biggest drains are switching between 3G ans 2G looking for a signal and data intensive apps running in the background. Third on the list would be the backlight on the screen.

See the FAQ article for tips and tricks to use.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
rdfphd

Model: 9650
Carrier: Alltell

A new OS loaded in by new Bold about two weeks ago and since then the battery hardly lasts a day. I've turned off GPS and don't think I have anything in the background. There are strange clocks that appear with almost every selection or key stroke and getting email is very slow.