Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
NorthAurora
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default New 8900 (Tmobile) - MyFaves disappeared completely

Please Login to Remove!

I got my 8900 from a Tmobile store on Wednesday. So far I love it, but I am having a persistent problem. I am writing this in a bullet pointed list to make it concise and clear.

1) Got the phone, used the wizard to move some apps and data from my 8100 to the new 8900
2) Installed a few apps, like Google maps, Facebook
3) Noticed my MyFaves icon was missing (and it wasn't hidden). I know it was showing up before.
4) Under options I chose "Refresh MyFaves" and after a few seconds received the error message "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException". I got the message 3 times right after each other
5) Called Tmobile support, they refresh my MyFaves remotely, same error message appeared 3 times
6) They got me directly to RIM support. They tried a few things but seemed puzzled. Then they asked me to reinstall 4.6.1.114
7) This worked, MyFaves reappeared, and I restored my backup to get all my data back
8) I live "happily ever after" until 2 days later, Saturday, when without any apparent reasons my MyFaves again disappeared.
9) I went to options, chose "Refresh MyFaves", and am getting the same error 3 times again

I have a few options now
------------------------
- RIM said that if the 4.6.1.114 refresh doesn't work, they would ask Tmobile to give me a new phone, however, this error sounds like a software error to me, and not a phone/hardware error (an uncaught null pointer exception in a Java program)
- I could reinstall 4.6.1.114 again, that would probably work, but most likely after a few days MyFaves would disappear again
- I could install 4.6.1.133 (or even 152) and hope that the new OS version would fix the problem, but RIM told me they only support the phone with the OS version certified by the carrier (4.6.1.114 for Tmobile)
- I could chose to live with the problem, and I don't see the MyFaves icons, but can still call those numbers through contacts. I would never be able to change MyFaves numbers. Probably not an option, since I may have to have a MyFaves number at some point.

Any thoughts? Which option would you chose? Can you think of other alternatives?

Last edited by NorthAurora; 02-15-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
dcjoe662

Carrier: T-MOBILE

If your within your return period I would just take it back. Whos to say if you do get it fixed it wont happen again. Thats what happened with my 8100 when Tmobile first introduced it. Also when you do call any of your Myfaves that it is being registered on the screen as a Myfaves contact. There can be a possibility you do call a Myfaves contact and its not being registered and your wasting your minutes on something you thought you had.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

I had a My Faves problem with my 8100 back in the day: I had updated the OS which went fine, My Faves was there but messed up somehow (names/numbers wouldn't match) and the RIM person had me do a selective restore, basically restoring everything except the My Faves part of the OS and they sent me that little part. He thought that the My Faves portion of the OS that I downloaded could have been corrupted. Worked fine. Maybe you could delete the OS and dl the whole thing again and restore. I agree with you it's probably not the hardware.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
NorthAurora

I wanted to post an update in case anyone wonders how this ended. RIM support had me wipe the phone and then get all the data (contacts, calendar, etc) from the Blackberry Enterprise Server rather than from the backup file, because they thought something in the backup might be corrupt. I had to go through Enterprise Activation again, but my phone is back to working and myFaves have not disappeared again (at least not for the last 5 days).
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
jph3

Carrier: TMobile

Interested to see if it sticks... I am having the same problem with mine, but I would prefer to make certain its a valid fix.

Any updates?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
TXLady

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAurora View Post
- I could chose to live with the problem, and I don't see the MyFaves icons, but can still call those numbers through contacts. I would never be able to change MyFaves numbers. Probably not an option, since I may have to have a MyFaves number at some point.
Although you have resolved the issue for now, for the future, you can change your MyFaves online though my TMobile. (My Services / myFaves.) You actually can use myFaves without even needing a myFaves phone although TMO will tell you that it doesn't work.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Keebler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

There is an emerging issue with this and throwing App Error 523. I personally hate the MyFaves interface and hide it right away
Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
There is an emerging issue with this and throwing App Error 523. I personally hate the MyFaves interface and hide it right away
I like it and so does Charles Barkley (aka The Chuckster). I have some a wallpaper with a globe in the center and everyone's face circles around the globe. Very cool.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-29-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
qblunt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
I got my 8900 from a Tmobile store on Wednesday. So far I love it, but I am having a persistent problem. I am writing this in a bullet pointed list to make it concise and clear.

1) Got the phone, used the wizard to move some apps and data from my 8100 to the new 8900
2) Installed a few apps, like Google maps, Facebook
3) Noticed my MyFaves icon was missing (and it wasn't hidden). I know it was showing up before.
4) Under options I chose "Refresh MyFaves" and after a few seconds received the error message "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException". I got the message 3 times right after each other
5) Called Tmobile support, they refresh my MyFaves remotely, same error message appeared 3 times
6) They got me directly to RIM support. They tried a few things but seemed puzzled. Then they asked me to reinstall 4.6.1.114
7) This worked, MyFaves reappeared, and I restored my backup to get all my data back
8) I live "happily ever after" until 2 days later, Saturday, when without any apparent reasons my MyFaves again disappeared.
9) I went to options, chose "Refresh MyFaves", and am getting the same error 3 times again

I have a few options now
------------------------
- RIM said that if the 4.6.1.114 refresh doesn't work, they would ask Tmobile to give me a new phone, however, this error sounds like a software error to me, and not a phone/hardware error (an uncaught null pointer exception in a Java program)
- I could reinstall 4.6.1.114 again, that would probably work, but most likely after a few days MyFaves would disappear again
- I could install 4.6.1.133 (or even 152) and hope that the new OS version would fix the problem, but RIM told me they only support the phone with the OS version certified by the carrier (4.6.1.114 for Tmobile)

Any thoughts? Which option would you chose? Can you think of other alternatives?
The same thing happened to me today. I bought my 8900 about month ago and this morning for whatever reason my myfaves disappered. I tried the myfaves refresh and that didnt work. I called T-mobile which then routed me to BB support and she tried to do a manual remote by sending me myfaves and that didnt work. I kept getting a java.language.nullexception error. So the lady at BB support just ended up sending me a brand new phone since she thinks that the myfaves app is corrupt. So i'll be getting a new 8900 in a couple of days free of charge.

Last edited by qblunt; 06-03-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
bruce6735

Default New 8900 On The Way

Same problem as the rest, with this addition. The task and memo pad icons also disappeared. My new 8900 was shipped out today. It would appear that T-Mobile would escalate this problem to avoid giving all of us new phones. BTW had anyone who got the second or subsequent 8900 had the problem again?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
The Sage

PIN: BIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce6735 View Post
Same problem as the rest, with this addition. The task and memo pad icons also disappeared. My new 8900 was shipped out today. It would appear that T-Mobile would escalate this problem to avoid giving all of us new phones. BTW had anyone who got the second or subsequent 8900 had the problem again?
I've done a number of system wipes and myfavs refreshes and the my favs always disappear after a day or two.

Any contact with T-Mobile gets the same reaction...problem, we're not aware of any problem.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Gonuts31

I've experienced the same, but not as frequent. Also with 8100.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but you can edit your myFaves online at tmobile.com
Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
m34mvw

Carrier: T-mobile
Angry Replaced 8900 & still having the MyFaves icon issue

Quote:
I wanted to post an update in case anyone wonders how this ended. RIM support had me wipe the phone and then get all the data (contacts, calendar, etc) from the Blackberry Enterprise Server rather than from the backup file, because they thought something in the backup might be corrupt. I had to go through Enterprise Activation again, but my phone is back to working and myFaves have not disappeared again (at least not for the last 5 days).
I just got a replacement 8900 from T-mobile after suffering all the problems you state in you initial post but I'm still having the same problem. In fact, I can have it happen on demand by simply removing then replacing the battery, when the phone reboots the MyFaves icons are gone for good. The only why I've found to get the icons back is to wipe the phone clean and resync or restore the data. Is possible that I got 2 bad units, anyone had a replacement that didn't work?
Unfortunately I don't have a BES to sync with so I can't attempt your solution.
I was wondering if anyone else has found an alternate resolution...
Also the error "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException" indicates that Java is somehow corrupt, anyone know of a way to reload the Java without doing a complete system wipe?
BTW the new 8900 is running vanilla 4.6.1.231 (platform 4.2.0.108)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
fala

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I'm having the same problem with my T-Mobile Blackberry 8100. The phone is not under warranty so an exchange is out of the question. The problem seems to be related to MYfavs and now I cannot update any changes to myfavs on my 8100. Was working fine for at least 4 months!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
wdtarver

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile
Default 8900 uncaught exception

I got an 8900 to replace my 8320 last week. I had the same problem you describe. I went through the tech support steps with t-mobile and then BB, but the problem is unresolved. I decided to take the phone back and continue to use my 8320 for now. I just don't have time for this.

BB needs to get its act together regarding phone and application upgrades. The IPhone is seamless in this regard, and if it had a keyboard my BB would be history.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
TheBigNewt

When my 8100 MyFaves messed up the BB support dude at Tmob had me do a "selective" restore. He got me onto DM and I restored everything except the MyFaves module and then he sent me that module straight to my phone. He thougt the module within the OS on DM was possibly corrupt. That fixed it.