Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
BBxBB

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry Curve 8900 won't connect to my computer

Please Login to Remove!

I brought a brand new Blackberry Curve 8900 yesterday from Orange, everything else works fine but I can't connect my Blackberry to my computer, when I connect my phone to the computer via USB my BB starts charging but when I go to the desktop manager it says theres no device connected.

I have a Windows XP computer, and I have all the latest BB software that they give you with the phone.

Please help!

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

the software with the phone will NOT be the latest.
to download the latest desktop manager go here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

and select Desktop Manager V5.0 from the list

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Make sure you properly configure DM once installed to see your BB using the USB port.

Also are you connecting directly to the PC or via a HUB? BBs do not like HUBs.

The version of Desktop Manager that came with your device should work fine. No need to download another version. I run XP myself.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
BBxBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Make sure you properly configure DM once installed to see your BB using the USB port.

Also are you connecting directly to the PC or via a HUB? BBs do not like HUBs.

The version of Desktop Manager that came with your device should work fine. No need to download another version. I run XP myself.
I'm connecting straight to the computer, I think, I just plug the lead into the USB port on the computer, What's a Hub? lol
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

a hub is something you plug into the usb port, and usually gives you 2 or 4 or more extra usb ports.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
BBxBB

Oh ok well then yes I am connecting it straight to the computer, Ive tried all your suggestions and none of them have worked, argh! this is so frustrating! Please if you have anyother suggestions, much appreciated
Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
jp2009

Carrier: tmobile

I am having this same exact problem. My USB actually worked only once after i unboxed the BB and connected it for the first time to my PC.

Ever since then it has been unstable. device manager would detect my BB and then it would undetect it.

Now when I plug my BB into my PC it shows the charging icon for two seconds and then it disappears, and my BB is still not detected by windows or desktop manager when I plug it into my PC's USB port.

I am plugging my BB directly into the USB ports on my IBM Thinkpad. I tried almost everything. I have desktop manager 5.0....I thought that my USB ports may be dead but I plugged other devices into them and windows detected them with no problem.

I also thought that my BB's port was dead but its not because when i plug it into the wall charger it charges fine. this must be a software issue....

Could anyone help us? we're both having the same problem :(

Last edited by jp2009; 07-24-2009 at 12:57 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
dynamic121588
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T mobile

ok i had the same problem for a while and after talking to BB tech support for 2 days (literally) and re-Down loading the same DM and OS for my phone 3x still no fix so i just Down loaded Desktop Manager 4.2.2.14 and that seems to work perfect. Make sure that Mass Storage is on and see if that will work.

Magma Red Zx-10r
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
cengi

Model: Z10
PIN: 2B9448C6
Carrier: Orange SK

Try to download new OS for BB 8900 and instal it to your PC (you will find it in this forum), and after that it shoul works. If no, you have to upgrade your OS on your BB8900.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
abbdoc

Carrier: 02

I too have a new 8900 Curve (Very Pleased) and also use Win XP (64bit OS) which I thought may have been problematic but NO.
So I would load the Software from the CD that you shoulda got with your 8900 THEN connect up the USB cable betwixt phone and Pc, it really doesnt matter whether its thro a HUB or directly connected to the USB ports at the front or rear of your PC.
Then after youve done all that Download the latest software which at time of writing is version 5.0 (approx 270 MB) and you are sorted, only thing which I think is a benefit if you are transferring data between Pc-Phone you can use Bluetooth or USB tho USB gives you greater options as its a hard and powered connection
Hope this helps
Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
600HPAMG

Carrier: T-Mobile

It appears the website is finally working again so downloading 5.0 as I am having the same issue. I am still trying to figure out why so many are excited over Blackberry, nothing but connection problems everywhere, odd interface and menus,etc. . Forget about Bluetooth and now website issues. I will give it one more week tops.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange UK

i find that with mine i need to open DM before connecting the BB to the USB, other wise it plays up,
i did also find that plugging directly into the computer gave a Very unstable connection and connecting through a hub works better!??!

DM4.6 on XP
Closed Thread