Please Login to Remove!

BB Curve 8900
OS v4.6.1.231 (Platform 4.2.0.108)

Current Settings:
Memory>Encryption Mode OFF (now)
PWD> Disabled
Security>Content Protection Disabled/Include Contacts NO
Security>Content Compression ENABLED

I have searched the Internet and I have seen others with my problem but found no answers. I took a number of videos on my Curve 8900 before I knew to disable SD Card content protection. A few of these saved as .3GP files that are fully usable on both my device and my laptop. These videos were fully viewable and shareable even though Options>Memory>Encryption Mode was enabled in "device mode" with "encrypt media" set to "yes" at the time these videos were shot. During this same time period, other videos I shot were saved as two files each, one with a .3GP.lock extension and another (with an identical filename but much smaller nominal file size) with a .3GP.lock3 extension. These videos with .3GP.lock/.3GP.lock3 extensions do not play on my device or my laptop, and return an error message on the device: "unable to display file." I've tried renaming them, rebooting my device, turning off media encryption, turning it back on, disabling the device password, pretty much everything except setting a new media encryption password or pulling the battery. I have made backup copies of all the affected videos on my laptop and on another microSDHC card of the same size as the one I am using. I ran CHKDSK (with both options checked) on the memory card using my laptop, but I didn't see any error messages.

Under my current settings, which I have listed above, I successfully shot and viewed a video on my 8900 not half an hour ago, so I know things are working - except that when I went to rename the file I got a "file system error" dialog and the device wouldn't let me rename the video (UPDATE: I've been able to rename the video, but it's a copy of the original and it's on the second memory card, not the one to which it was originally saved).

These videos are important and cannot be replaced or re-shot. I understand that if I don't enable content encryption this probably won't happen in the future, but how do I decrypt the videos I already have? I need to be able to view and share these video files. I cannot stress enough how important these videos are and that they cannot be replaced.

Is it possible this is a "known issue" and if so, is there a fix available?

This device was purchased NIB in-store about two weeks ago.

Can anybody help me?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Try one or the other of these alternatives:

A) set encrypt media files to no. On the blackberry, _move_ the media file out of the media folder, then move it back to the media folder.

B) Use the media manager pluggin on desktop manager to access the blackberry and copy the files to the computer
Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
digital_swissarmyknife
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I tried to move the files on the device using Media>Explore. That didn't fix it.

I tried to access the videos on my computer using Desktop Manager 5.0.1 with the Roxio Media Manager. The first thing that happened was the DTM went ahead and "synchronized my certificates" before I could even start using the program. Then when I went to launch the Media Manager, Windows Installer popped up and attempted to "configure" the Roxio program - and returned an error message that "no valid install path" could be found or something to that effect. After trying a few times to cancel out of these dialogs I finally was able to just start using Media Manager.

I should mention at this point that when I installed DTM I used the BlackBerry.com download because my T-Mo supplied CD did not work properly - it kept returning "unreadable" errors or something along those lines. I couldn't even make a copy of the whole CD, only parts of it. Once I'd completed the install via the Web download, I used WinPatrol to find and disable the various autorun entries and automatic services that DTM, Roxio, and MSI Installer had freshly added to my computer.

I should also mention that each of the problem video files under discussion are actually broken down into two files, each with the same file name, but with the two different extensions, .lock and .lock3. The file sizes also vary - the .lock file in one case is 95MB (it was a 2o minute video) and its corresponding .lock3 file is around 5MB, for instance. There's another video of similar size, and a third one from a different day where the .lock file is 143kb and the .lock3 file is 144kb.

So...I tried using Roxio to browse to the videos on my device. I found them, and they still have the same problematic extensions and no thumbnail. When I clicked "copy up" I got some sort of "runtime error" and a dialog stating that something-or-other had requested to be "terminated in an unusual way." The program became unresponsive and I just had to use Windows Task Manager to shut it down.

I'm wondering if I should maybe uninstall and reinstall DTM and Roxio - or maybe even DTM WITHOUT Roxio?

Sumtotally this is only adding problems to problems. I'm not happy about having to try to fix software issues when I'm trying to focus on retrieving irreplaceable videos that my own device is "protecting" from me.

Last edited by digital_swissarmyknife; 11-23-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
digital_swissarmyknife

Update:
This Roxio Media Manager is useless!
I tried to open it a second time to see if it would work.
I got an endless succession of Windows Installer dialogs popping up telling me to "please wait" while Windows "configures Media Manager" and no matter how many times I clicked "Cancel" the dialogs returned.
I was able to browse to and select the problem videos while this was going on, but once again when I tried to "copy up" the program froze and nothing short of Task Manager could even shut it down.
I'm so frustrated right now I don't even know where to begin.

Second Update:
I put all the settings back the way they were in WinPatrol (with the exception of the BB AutoUpdate startup entry) and relaunched Roxio. This time Windows Installer only popped up a couple of times - but that's still a couple of times too many. I was able to successfully copy the problem videos from the device to a folder on my computer, but they did not change to usable 3GP files. I also cannot select and preview any of the .lock or .lock3 files.

While I was typing that last sentence, Roxio decided to max out my CPU somehow. I'm not sure how or why, all I know is that suddenly EVERYTHING on my computer became unresponsive and TaskMan told me it was the Roxio process. I used Roxio's own File>Exit to shut down the program and my CPU Use meter slowly dropped from 100% back down to a manageable 30% range.

So far as I'm concerned, all of this software is being uninstalled as soon as possible and reinstalled from scratch using the nomediamanager version of the installer. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by digital_swissarmyknife; 11-23-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Because Roxio is a PROBLEM
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

A lot of people encounter buggy behavior with media manager. I haven't, but many do. I included it above in case that was your best option.

My understanding is that media manager deals with the encryption and allows you to copy the file, un-encrypting the copied file. I'm going on what I've read in the past.

I have not yet dealt with the double files and that file extension that you are observing. I guess that is something new. In my experience, I see a .rem extension, or something like that, and just the one file with that extension.

Did you preserve the original files before you started experimenting? The only thing I can think of trying is repeat the first procedure of moving the file out and then back into the media folder, but do it with the original files that you did not modify in any way. If you already did that, then I'm stumped.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-23-2009 at 01:24 PM..
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
digital_swissarmyknife

I tried moving the original files out of the video folder, and then back into it. I had to do it one at a time because unless I'm missing something I can't find a way to move multiple files at the same time. I've had the same problem trying to send pictures over Bluetooth to my PC. On all my other (non-BB) devices I've been able to hold Shift and select more than one picture file and send them, but on the 8900 I haven't found any way to do that and wind up having to do it one file at a time. This is so painful I wind up taking the memory card out and putting it in my PC, which essentially defeats the purpose of the Bluetooth file transfer. Then again what should I expect from a device so sophisticated that it doesn't even include vCard support (except via email, which doesn't count)?

Point being, I've tried moving the files and putting them back again and that didn't fix it.

I am loath to try Roxio again, and in any case, I'm assuming it's an idiot-proof GUI, which means if the files didn't un-encrypt last time, they won't this time.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

See what others say. I think media manager is you only hope, if you can get it to cooperate for you. Maybe somebody knows something else.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
digital_swissarmyknife

Is there anyone else here on the forum that may be able to help with this? Maybe an admin you could contact?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_swissarmyknife
Is there anyone else here on the forum that may be able to help with this? Maybe an admin you could contact?
I'm no different than you. Look at the number of views. If someone knows the answer or has a better idea, they'll post.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
digital_swissarmyknife

I am grateful you've been posting. Thank you for taking the time to try to help with this matter. Regarding my other post, I was thinking there might be others who could help us only because on some of the other message boards I belong to, older or more established members sometimes have a support network they can call upon at times like these. I was hoping that somehow this might be the case here.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
babybutterfly

Model: 9000
Carrier: vodafone

i had the same issue, try emailing them to yourself, then detaching them to laptop folder, then renaming - it worked for me?
Closed Thread